I have a confession to make

Mordecaidrake

Dec 24, 2009
Visit site
This weekend, my BAMF Forevered Thunderbolt kept powering off and wouldn't turn back on until I pulled the battery. In a wave of anger and frustration I went to the Apple store and got a 4s. I just got back from returning the 4s. My god how does anyone use that thing? It's a hassle to do anything with it! It's hardware is gorgeous, it's camera amazing, it's speed lightning fast but holy crap does it suck. Needless to say I'm back on my Thunderbolt and enjoying every second of it. Can I be forgiven for my small wavering?

Rav3nCroft

May 12, 2011
Visit site
The grass is NOT greener on the "dark" side, it's just another shade of green. Sorry to hear you lost your faith in the TB.

Mordecaidrake

Dec 24, 2009
Visit site
The thing is yes 'it just works' but i mean simple things like ability to use it as a flash drive you cannot do. I had to do this weird app file transfer thing within iTunes to get my ebooks on the damn thing! While I have my issues with the Thunderbolt I'm sticking with android forever haha. I look forward to either the razer or nexus as my next phone.

anthony2558

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
You should be spanked.....

Also:
Death sleep can be cured by raising the minimum CPU speed

Will this work if the phone just decides on its own to restart, and restart, and restart till I pull the battery and it restarts once and then stays on?
Running Gingervitis VIII

Small_law

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
The thing is yes 'it just works' but i mean simple things like ability to use it as a flash drive you cannot do. I had to do this weird app file transfer thing within iTunes to get my ebooks on the damn thing! While I have my issues with the Thunderbolt I'm sticking with android forever haha. I look forward to either the razer or nexus as my next phone.

That's how Apple products are. If you try to do something outside of Apple's paradigm, you find yourself in a time consuming fight just to do something dead simple. I've had an iPod Touch with a camera for a year, and I still don't know where the pictures I take with it go when I sync it with iTunes. I have to pull them off the iPod like any other USB drive, so it's sort of like syncing it twice. It doesn't make sense.

Thank goodness for Android.

natehoy

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site

See? Now there's the problem. You should have simply re-purchased the books through the Apple Store. Simple!

Seriously, the whole point of Apple's simplicity is that everything is done through iTunes and purchased from Apple. They control the user experience.

Which is great, if you want to limit yourself to what they sell and provide. And that is, apparently, enough for the vast majority. More power to 'em.

When we were given our choice of iPhone or Android, for me it was simple. I can't run an iPhone, because I don't have a Windows or Mac computer to load iTunes to. Being utterly dependent on a software package on a desktop PC to activate and use my smartphone was a no-starter, especially because it would have meant buying a new machine. Apple don't play Linux.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
See? Now there's the problem. You should have simply re-purchased the books through the Apple Store. Simple!

Seriously, the whole point of Apple's simplicity is that everything is done through iTunes and purchased from Apple. They control the user experience.

Which is great, if you want to limit yourself to what they sell and provide. And that is, apparently, enough for the vast majority. More power to 'em.

When we were given our choice of iPhone or Android, for me it was simple. I can't run an iPhone, because I don't have a Windows or Mac computer to load iTunes to. Being utterly dependent on a software package on a desktop PC to activate and use my smartphone was a no-starter, especially because it would have meant buying a new machine. Apple don't play Linux.

You can run ios 5 iphone/ipad/ipod without a PC, and you get free iCloud backup 5gb I believe. My wife wanted a phone that just works, so I got her one. She can't deal with the problems that many androids have, and she needs something simple, even on her iphone, she asks me stuff, even though i don't have one. Using itunes frustrates me though, i like the ability to drop whatever I want into folders w/o syncing. and ios is still very limited in function compared to android.

FrankXS

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
...i like the ability to drop whatever I want into folders w/o syncing. and ios is still very limited in function compared to android.
Agreed. And this is not just about the iPhone verses Android phones. It's about a whole "non-android" trend in the industry.

Apple and Microsoft both are going the way of big-button touch screens without any user feedback on the "technical" part of the operation. Bottom line, IMHO, is, one of the things that the original Unix's and Microsoft GOT RIGHT is the whole "file/folder" storage concept. I grew up through these days and I know a lot of folks had a hard time at first figuring out what the hell a file and a folder were and why they needed to know anyway. But that was 20 (or more) years ago! Geeze! Folks have now figured it out! And to this day it is still the best way to manage a computing device. IMO, of course.

And now we have the "big names" behaving like their target audience is not smart enough to understand files/folders, so they're basically trying to eliminate/hide them totally from the user. That is what accounts for some of these ridiculously difficult tasks on *some* phones that should have been a "piece of cake"! (Gingerbread?) :D :D

-Frank

Mordecaidrake

Dec 24, 2009
Visit site
I agree, they're trying to make phones too simple. I fail to see how android isn't easy to operate. If you didn't want to manually manage all your files or root or overclock you don't have to. The phone will function perfectly without doing all that. Everyone I've recommended an android too ends up dumping their iTouch because android works so much nicer and they have the ability to use the phone as a flash drive. Which comes in handy so often haha.

defcon999

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
Agreed. And this is not just about the iPhone verses Android phones. It's about a whole "non-android" trend in the industry.

Apple and Microsoft both are going the way of big-button touch screens without any user feedback on the "technical" part of the operation. Bottom line, IMHO, is, one of the things that the original Unix's and Microsoft GOT RIGHT is the whole "file/folder" storage concept. I grew up through these days and I know a lot of folks had a hard time at first figuring out what the hell a file and a folder were and why they needed to know anyway. But that was 20 (or more) years ago! Geeze! Folks have now figured it out! And to this day it is still the best way to manage a computing device. IMO, of course.

-Frank
I have to laugh at my kids when I go into a CMD screen and start entering DOS commands (CD\ DIR etc). They look at me like a fricking genius and I just cracked the code to Fort Knox.

iPhones are for those who just want it to work and not mess with the phone. I have an iTouch and to be honest, it is collecting dust these days because my TBolt is able to do everything that the iTouch can. I did Jailbreak it so I can use it as a SD drive so to speak, but why bother. I have said to people many times about computers...."if you want a computer to just work and not mess with, get an Apple. If you want a computer that can grow with you....get a PC".

I saw a tech report on the Motorola RAZR that is coming out in Nov....that thing looks SICK. Kevlar case, Gorilla Glass, Scratch resistant, 4G, duel core.....sooooooo tempting!. My son told me "Dad, that's my next phone".....LOLOL....he pays for it, he can get it!