Tbolt mania is here!!!!

johnriii

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
after much anticipation and wringing of hands, months of research and weeks of forum-hopping, I finally have my "big boy phones'. I have already begun tweaking them both to minimize battery loss, but the 4G signal here in KC is quite strong, 4 bars strong! funny thing though, My phone has allowed me to update to Gingerbread, but my wife's phone says there is no update available. what up with that?

is it true that the 4G signal uses battery faster than 3G? I have constant 3-4 bars on the signal strength on 4G, so it seems that the signal should be strong enough to minimize extra battery drain. i have the LTE toggle installed, just in case.

any advice would be appreciated, and no, I'm not ready to root (yet).

oh yeah, I got the LAST TWO Tbolts from Best Buy this morning, for FREE!!!!

Reactions: Nja4k

defcon999

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
after much anticipation and wringing of hands, months of research and weeks of forum-hopping, I finally have my "big boy phones'. I have already begun tweaking them both to minimize battery loss, but the 4G signal here in KC is quite strong, 4 bars strong! funny thing though, My phone has allowed me to update to Gingerbread, but my wife's phone says there is no update available. what up with that?
I think it might be luck of the draw. People have had success pulling the battery and SIM card and letting it sit for an hour...then reinstalling them. Also, you can go to ANDROID POLICE and download the GB update (you need not be rooted either). I ran it for about 2 weeks before I rooted. It is 100% the authentic GB that Verizon was OTAing.

is it true that the 4G signal uses battery faster than 3G? I have constant 3-4 bars on the signal strength on 4G, so it seems that the signal should be strong enough to minimize extra battery drain. i have the LTE toggle installed, just in case.
Yes it is. But do this, download a LTE on/off app (I use LTE on/off). Keep it in either LTE (4G) or CDMA (3G). The battery drain comes from having it in LTE/CDMA mode and it is constantly scanning for 3G and 4G which eats up battery.

Make sure the AUTO syncing is not CHECKED, that will suck the life out of the battery because it will constantly be checking your email and whatever else you have syncing (scores, news, stocks etc.).

I know you aren't ready to root, but if you do, the ROMS out there do better battery management and gets rid of of bloatware (Blockbuster, Let's Golf etc). You might want to look into getting an extra battery. It has been reported that the REZOUND battery fits the TBolt nicely and it is a 1600mA while the Tbolt stock battery is a mere 1350mA (I think).

Hope this helps!

Reactions: johnriii

mightyfacundo

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
First things first: Congratulations!

The bars aren't an indication of data signal strength so don't trust that to tell you how strong it is. I use speedtest to give me a rough idea of how strong my 4G signal is (the closer I am to towers, the better the results of the test.).

If your wife's phone can't get the update OTA, I would go to Android Police and manually upload the GB RUU before she gets too much stuff on her phone. That way she won't have to redo everything because it will wipe everything when you install it.

Frank explained 4G battery use pretty well in the "3G or 4G..... which to use?" thread. Check that out when you get a chance.

Have fun with your new phone, and if you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask.

FrankXS

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
It is said that the GB rollouts are auto-triggered by MEID number (i.e. Menu | Settings | About Phone | Phone Identity). So... I wouldn't worry about it until you've waited at least a week after activation. Perhaps two weeks.

Also, you might want to make sure hers doesn't already have GB, if you haven't already (Menu | Settings | About Phone | Software = Software Number: 2.11.605.5 is GB).

-Frank

johnriii

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
It is said that the GB rollouts are auto-triggered by MEID number (i.e. Menu | Settings | About Phone | Phone Identity). So... I wouldn't worry about it until you've waited at least a week after activation. Perhaps two weeks.

Also, you might want to make sure hers doesn't already have GB, if you haven't already (Menu | Settings | About Phone | Software = Software Number: 2.11.605.5 is GB).

-Frank

her phone actually downloaded GB about an hour ago. all is well.

johnriii

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
3G on this phone is fast enough for my needs right now, but it sure is cool to know I can turn it up if needed! going through my first extended stint off the charger with both phones...wish me luck!!

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
just out of curiosity, why didn't you get the Rezound for $50? Imo, the Rezound is worth the extra $50.

Jude526

Trusted Member
Dec 13, 2010
Visit site
You can set it to CDMA. Am app is not needed. Enjoy your Thunderbolts. You and your wife will love them

Sent from my Thunderbolt using Tapatalk

Jude526

Trusted Member
Dec 13, 2010
Visit site
To set to CDMA click on settings. Then wireless & networks. Then click on network mode and you will see it.....

Sent from my Thunderbolt using Tapatalk

johnriii

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
just out of curiosity, why didn't you get the Rezound for $50? Imo, the Rezound is worth the extra $50.

this deal was at best buy? I'm sure they would have told me if it were, but hey, too late now. the sale is over. I'm happy so far with my new "purchases".

johnriii

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
hopefully someone will see this as it is off-subject...my Tbolt just shut down on me earlier today. I was actually about to make a phone call, and BAM...black screen. I took the battery out, reinserted it, and it fired back up. has this happened on a regular basis to you Tbolt owners, or could this be a random occurrence? kind of disheartening since this is only my 2nd day with the device. however, I almost hope it keeps doing it, so I can get a replacement from Best Buy within the 14 day period.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
hopefully someone will see this as it is off-subject...my Tbolt just shut down on me earlier today. I was actually about to make a phone call, and BAM...black screen. I took the battery out, reinserted it, and it fired back up. has this happened on a regular basis to you Tbolt owners, or could this be a random occurrence? kind of disheartening since this is only my 2nd day with the device. however, I almost hope it keeps doing it, so I can get a replacement from Best Buy within the 14 day period.

it happens to me randomly. sometimes i can go a month without one. sometimes, i'll get one every few days.

johnriii

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
I spoke to a Best Buy mobile rep today, he said I have 14 days to replace the phone with a new one, just like with Verizon. He didn't have any opinion about it one way or the other, but i told him if it happened again, I would be coming in for a replacement (new) phone. Verizon Tech's stated that I would get a "refurbished" phone after the 14 day grace period, if they couldn't solve the problems over the phone.

zog1977

Jun 22, 2010
Visit site

correct me if i am wrong, but "bars" do not equal 4g or 3g data strength, they are only for voice.

defcon999

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
correct me if i am wrong, but "bars" do not equal 4g or 3g data strength, they are only for voice.

You are correct! The "bars" has NOTHING to do with the 3G/4G at all. The bars for PHONE signal only. As I am typing this, I have my phone set on WiFi which shuts off the 3G/4G and I still have the bars.

defcon999

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site

Here is a question. Check to see what OS you are running. Go to:

Menu --> Settings --> Scroll down to "About Phone" --> Software Information

You should have listed:

Android Version:

HTC Sense Version

Software Number 2.11.605.3 or 2.11.605.5 (.5 is the update to the update). The .3 was the version after the OTA back in September

The other stuff listed isn't as important.

If Android Version 2.21 is listed, then you are running an older version of the OS and you need to update. Version 2.21 was/is notorious for random and frequent reboots

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Non