Thunderbolt to get ICS

dd0yl3

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
According to a HTC roadmap from Turkey it looks like the thunderbolt might actually get ICS. It lists all the device and possible dates. Here is the link http://mobile.theverge.com/2012/1/9/2694110/htc-ics-android-4-update-roadmap-turkey

tropper

Smarty Pants
Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
All I have read is they are committed to trying, that doesn't mean they will be successful. They still have to work Verizon software on top of that. Who know how long that will take if its even possible for them to build a stable enough version that won't have everyone crying "that this its the worst phone ever". They can never please the masses so if hold ICS back means keeping people happy then Verizon will. Besides from there standpoint if you want ics but a new phone they don't care.

yodatom10

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
the real problem is not ics in its pure form as that will run fine its when HTC adds in sense that really causes problems if you really want a Good ics experience load up a ics aosp rom or don't complain if you don't get it because sense is to big to run with ics on are phones

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
I agree. Trouble is developers are forced to kang code from other phones so we have to choose between sensed ics or buggy ics. I wish htc would take.mercy on us and release a pure ics for those who want it or at least make the tbolt code for it available to developers.

project.in.process

May 18, 2010
Visit site
the facebook page was shown to be false & not actually supported by HTC.

no clue about any of the other sources--but the 'Turkey' facebook HTC page was false.
(http://www.droid-life.com/2012/01/0...h-upgrades-for-8-phones-thunderbolt-included/)

I'm going to bet they'll follow this time line:
1) Month 1= PR stating "current hardware doesn't support ICS", but the newest phones they're releasing will be released with it. stay tuned
2) Month 2= Alpha builds for ICS released from Dev community, showing fully capable Thunderbolts running ICS.
2) Month 3= newest phones will be released, running 2.3, updated to ICS in near future
3) Month 4= CM9 & BAMF release fully functional versions, forums explode in excitement.
4) Month 4= ICS released for 1 HTC phone, "other (previous) phones being worked on & will receive update in near future" (near=several months)
5) Month 10=ICS shown running on Thunderbolt by HTC, minimal updates thereafter.
6) Month 10= ICS released for Thunderbolt a week after EndOfLife date given for Thunderbolt, prompting comical editorial on all Android related websites. 7) Month 11=Thunderbolt 2 marketing begins.
8) Month 11=Android 5.0, JellyBean released with newest Nexus
9) repeat cycle

Last edited:

anon(394005)

Banned
Jul 5, 2011
Visit site
I really don't like native ICS, especially the soft key buttons. I really want the capacitive buttons on a future phone (physical buttons work so much better) as well as HTC Sense as IMO, it's the most refined and intuitive interface. So frankly, ICS does nothing for me in and of itself. It's kind of like when the Thunderbolt got Gingerbread, the look of it really didn't change because of Sense, although the underlying changes were beneficial (ex. battery life, stability, security fixes, etc.). Frankly, I really don't want ICS on the Thunderbolt. It's a mature phone that works very well as it is with Gingerbread and the current version of Sense. No need to go messing around and screwing that up. If you really want ICS on it, it's more realistic to look at the development community for it, not HTC/Verizon. :)

FrankXS

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
Frankly, I really don't want ICS on the Thunderbolt. It's a mature phone that works very well as it is with Gingerbread and the current version of Sense. No need to go messing around and screwing that up. If you really want ICS on it, it's more realistic to look at the development community for it, not HTC/Verizon. :)
Agreed. If you want ICS just buy a new phone with ICS. Or, wait till a new phones comes out with ICS that you like. Or wait till your TBolt contract is over and buy a new phone with ICS. Trouble is, by that time, Banana Split will be out and you'll still have an "outdated" phone. My advice, quit chasing the technology. Be happy with stability, looks and performance. You've already got all that.

-Frank

tropper

Smarty Pants
Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
If your phone is stable and the apps you want are working good be happy. You won't see enough of a significant boost in speed or battery life with an upgrade to Ics to even sweat getting it. I've been around long enough and have experimented with new roms and know when ya find what ya like just sick with it and BE HAPPY :)

turdbogls

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
If your phone is stable and the apps you want are working good be happy. You won't see enough of a significant boost in speed or battery life with an upgrade to Ics to even sweat getting it. I've been around long enough and have experimented with new roms and know when ya find what ya like just sick with it and BE HAPPY :)

this coming from the man that has a fully functioning ICS ROM on his thunderbolt so he can compare them "side by side" ? please share your ROM :)

in all honesty, you are probably right, but people like me want the latest and greatest.
my phone looks exactly like ICS for the most part (obviously ROM'd and themed to the hilt), but it is still lacking a LOT that comes with ICS.

new Gmail app, gmail widget, new youtube app, HW acceleration, that amazing browser ect.

tropper

Smarty Pants
Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
No this coming from a guy who head been around Android long enough to know that most all claims for significant speed boosts and better battery life with enhanced features, really turn out to be a more of a bloated sales pitch, than a major upgrade in real time usage. And all my experience comes from experimenting and lots of reading. Stick around the forums and you will notice that up grades rarely elicit joyful cries with out the whining about how the new update screwed up there phone, and when are they gonna fix this. My point is be happy with what you got .

Mike_is_Mike

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site
the facebook page was shown to be false & not actually supported by HTC.

no clue about any of the other sources--but the 'Turkey' facebook HTC page was false.
(http://www.droid-life.com/2012/01/0...h-upgrades-for-8-phones-thunderbolt-included/)

I'm going to bet they'll follow this time line:
1) Month 1= PR stating "current hardware doesn't support ICS", but the newest phones they're releasing will be released with it. stay tuned
2) Month 2= Alpha builds for ICS released from Dev community, showing fully capable Thunderbolts running ICS.
2) Month 3= newest phones will be released, running 2.3, updated to ICS in near future
3) Month 4= CM9 & BAMF release fully functional versions, forums explode in excitement.
4) Month 4= ICS released for 1 HTC phone, "other (previous) phones being worked on & will receive update in near future" (near=several months)
5) Month 10=ICS shown running on Thunderbolt by HTC, minimal updates thereafter.
6) Month 10= ICS released for Thunderbolt a week after EndOfLife date given for Thunderbolt, prompting comical editorial on all Android related websites. 7) Month 11=Thunderbolt 2 marketing begins.
8) Month 11=Android 5.0, JellyBean released with newest Nexus
9) repeat cycle

month 18: I buy the TB2 for $99.00.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
123dzo