Phil unplugged Tbolt overnight,it becomes a brick in the morning!

Does a tb unplugged at night make it an uncharged brick by morn?

• Total voters

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Per Phil's review, he said that he left a Thunderbolt unplugged at night, and my morning, it is an uncharged brick.

Here's a real-world comparison for you: Leave the HTC ThunderBolt and the Verizon Galaxy Nexus unplugged at night. In the morning, the latter will still be usable, while the former is an uncharged brick. In fact, we're quite happy with the Verizon Galaxy Nexus' standby time. In actual usage, it's also better than the early LTE devices.

http://www.androidcentral.com/verizon-galaxy-nexus-review

This hasn't been my experience, usually, I am at about 85-90% by morning with the extended battery, which would translate into 70%-80% on the standard battery. Keep in mind I have 4G on all the time and syncs going all night as well. If i turned off all the radios, I could leave my Thunderbolt a week and still not have it become an uncharged brick.

Does leaving your Thunderbolt unplugged at night turn your phone into an uncharged brick in the morning?

tropper

Smarty Pants
Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Re: Phil unplugged Tbolt overnight,it becomes a brick in the morn

I have higher cap stock siZed battery, if I leave it at +/- 75 % I can wake up around 60 that being with 4G on. I only get the big batt drain when I tax the CPU hard.

BriVG

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site

mine usually is 85% left on wifi and 80% if on CDMA when fully charged before bed.

anon(394005)

Banned
Jul 5, 2011
Visit site

That was an unwarranted slam on the Thunderbolt's battery life, probably based on when it was first released. So not really fair of Phil to do IMO. I see this kind of thing a lot around the forums too, especially the Galaxy Nexus. I think a lot of people are attempting to rationalize their purchase (I guess we all do it to some extent). But I digress...

I've NEVER had my Thunderbolt go dead from leaving it unplugged over night, which is something I always do as I rarely if ever charge the phone directly. Instead I keep multiple batteries charged via a Seidio Multi-function battery charger and just swap out for a fresh battery as needed. Of course this process takes a little more effort on my part to be aware of the charge level and when best to swap out so as to avoid it running dead, which I don't think is good on the battery. Anyway, I've noticed since the Gingerbread updates that the phone sips battery juice when it's idle and overall is better on battery life. Last weekend, I got almost 45 hours on the stock 1400mAh battery with light use! Best I've ever gotten. :)

Reactions: mightyfacundo

Forgetful

Energy hoarder
Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
I lose 6-10% every night. Sad that a major admin of this site cannot get his phone working

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

cclifft

Aug 31, 2011
Visit site

Ok, i'll bite...since this has bitten me numerous times before. I was constantly plagued by the bricked TB in the morning using a standard battery (never happened with extended battery), never could figure out why with the normal battery with between 90-70% charge remaining and on wifi all night long.

However, I have started using my standard battery again, just turned 4G off (why bother if VZW can't get it to work anyways right now) and keep wifi on at home all night. Go to bed with like 85-90%, wake up and still have about 80-75% left. Background data is sometimes on, sometimes off, and auto sync off. I feel like I finally have a phone I can use and enjoy.

worwig

Dec 29, 2010
Visit site

I have the standard battery. After a full day (I typically charge all night) which includes push Exchange, a pop account, calendars syncing and a few hours of music, I end the day near 40%. I have never ever left it overnight uncharged after that, so I can't be 100% certain, but I suspect I would be close to 10-20%.
So it wouldn't surprise me that Phil has a brick in the morning. He is just telling it like it is.
More importantly, why would anyone not put their devices on charge overnight? It is just asking for issues.

rcmarks314

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site

Who but a complete dolt would not put a smart phone on the charger overnight. Or maybe better said during your non awake hours. Even if I were to not plug in my Bolt I use it for my alarm so it would wake me up and I'd plug it in for the hour before I leave and have enough of a charge to make it through the night. (3rd shift) And I use the phone at work for getting assignments from supervisor and calls between my fellow workers. I also play Sudoku on breaks and check scores, emails etc. The only time it ever goes dead is when I run it down on purpose for calibration of battery. Hey my old env2 got a week out of one charge so take that Nexus!

anon(394005)

Banned
Jul 5, 2011
Visit site

Guess I'm a dolt! :p Like I said, I rarely if ever charge the phone directly even when I use it as an alarm when I work the day shift (have to get up at 4:30am). Even then, it's easy to calculate if/when I need to put in a freshly charged battery. From experience, I'm able to gauge my battery discharge and thus have confidence in using it as an alarm clock as needed without having to worry about plugging it in. It's really a personal preference whether you manage your battery charge by directly connecting a charger or use multiple batteries and swap as needed. Different strokes for different folks. :)

johnriii

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site

I have forgotten to put my phone on charge several nights, and even starting with 80-85%, I would only lose about 12% overnight. I've never awakened to under 65% battery. of course, I use battery defender, so that might make a difference.

project.in.process

May 18, 2010
Visit site

Thunderbolt (rooted, 2.3)

left mine @ 75% battery life with 4G LTE enabled at 10.30pm when i went to bed
awoke the device with 45% battery life the next morning @ 7.35am

sync enabled the entire night
no wifi.

Jude526

Trusted Member
Dec 13, 2010
Visit site

The phone has never gone dead on me. One night I did forget to charge it but a quick charge on my car charger on my way to work made it thru the day. It is my only means for communication and therefore I can't take the risk of having a dead battery in the morning. I have two batts. But I do charge it at night and I have it turned off when charging. I don't want to be disturbed when I am sleeping My cat disrupts my sleep as it is LOL

808TBolt

Dec 3, 2011
Visit site

Ridiculous. One bad phone does not equal a characteristic of the model.

-Frank

+1

not a fair comparison by Phil. IMO anyway...

i went to bed last night with my phone at less than 50%. got up too early, played XBox for an hour before getting ready for work and my phone was down to 17%. turned on the background, bluetooth, and location in order to drain my battery by the time i got to work (only takes me 15 min to get to the office).

i didn't wait for it to go down to 5% so i charged it around 10 or 15% at around 8am my time, which is about the same time i charged my phone yesterday. (i have the Rezound battery)

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site

Who but a complete dolt would not put a smart phone on the charger overnight. Or maybe better said during your non awake hours. Even if I were to not plug in my Bolt I use it for my alarm so it would wake me up and I'd plug it in for the hour before I leave and have enough of a charge to make it through the night. (3rd shift) And I use the phone at work for getting assignments from supervisor and calls between my fellow workers. I also play Sudoku on breaks and check scores, emails etc. The only time it ever goes dead is when I run it down on purpose for calibration of battery. Hey my old env2 got a week out of one charge so take that Nexus!

I rarely leave my phone on the charger at night. I charge it during the day at work, when i go home, i don't use it much, i might charge it an hour or two before bed so it's full or near full, then take it off the charger. In the morning, I will plug it in for a little bit before i go to work. I don't like to leave it on the charger overnight when the phone is near full because it just goes to full charge, then discharges to maybe 90% then charge to full, cycling continuously like that. of course, if your battery is near dead, then i would certainly put it on the charger before i went to bed.

bjboucher

Apr 2, 2011
Visit site

I would normally lose less than 10% overnight. No way the phone dies overnight unless it has some sync or signal issues.

mightyfacundo

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site

I would normally lose less than 10% overnight. No way the phone dies overnight unless it has some sync or signal issues.

Yep. This is exactly my experience. I'm glad Phil's comment bothered people other than me, and I do think it was an inaccurate, unfair assessment of the Bolt's battery. And for the record, my wife has the Galaxy Nexus, and my Bolt uses less battery when left in sleep mode overnight. How do I know? I wanted to see if Phil's observation was correct, so I put my standard Battery back in, charged both phones to 100%, and left them in sleep mode overnight. The next morning, my Bolt had dropped to 91% while her Nexus dropped to 73%. (WiFi on, no syncing, no bluetooth, no GPS). The next night, I didn't charge the phones to 100%. The Nexus went to sleep with 61% battery and woke up with 24%. The Bolt started with 78% and had dropped to 67% by morning.

And yes, I just might have too much time on my hands....:p

Last edited:

bjboucher

Apr 2, 2011
Visit site

Right now I have the extended battery in, but I unplugged my phone this morning around 5am (12 hours ago) and it still has 91% of battery left. Thats with very little usage since I have to leave the phone in my car when I work, but some usage, so no way the phone dies overnight in standby.

defcon999

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site

I charge mine at night....when I wake up in the morning...100% charged....not a bit of a problem at all....not bricked at all.

Jude526

Trusted Member
Dec 13, 2010
Visit site
Right now I have the extended battery in, but I unplugged my phone this morning around 5am (12 hours ago) and it still has 91% of battery left. Thats with very little usage since I have to leave the phone in my car when I work, but some usage, so no way the phone dies overnight in standby.

I don't suggest leaving your phone in the car. Especially in warm weather. Not good for the guts of the phone
Also for security. Ppl love to steal phones

Sent from my Thunderbolt using Tapatalk

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
danishpeer