Why does my thunderbolt suck?

scott15851

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
Hey guys been reading about all the issues. My Thunderbolt looses signal when it goes to sleep mode, then half the time doesn't come back. Weird part was the other day the phone was moving faster than ever with 1x in a 4g area.
If I root will all this drama go away and I have a phone that just works?
All Verizon says is lets do a soft reset, then a hard reset. Which I don't have the time to fool with when I have done plenty of them and the phone is still the same.
Have had this thing since day one when it came out, first andriod.

mightyfacundo

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
I know that there have been data issues all over the country so your problems might be related to that and not a result of your phone acting up. However, if it was my phone, I'd try a factory reset to see if it fixes your problems. It is kind of a pain to set up your phone again, but it might fix the quirks you're experiencing. Plus, if you decide to root, you're gonna have to do a clean wipe anyway to flash a rom. I can't say with 100% certainty that rooting and flashing a rom will fix all of the issues, but I can tell you that my phone was acting strange after the last OTA (poor gps lock, dialer issues, couldn't hang up after a call among other things ), which led me to root and flash. I no longer have any of those problems, so it absolutely worked for me. If you decide to root, trter has given us a simple root tool that makes it very easy to do. Just check out the root section of this forum, and if you have any questions, just ask.

Wildside

Dec 14, 2010
Visit site
I tried the modem tweak in this thread with no improvement.

Today I pulled the battery, SD card and SIM card and kept out of the phone for 15 minutes. I'm hoping that helps.

My main problem the past couple of weeks has been the same as yours - phone won't pick up mobile data after waking up.

dm33

Dec 30, 2009
Visit site
I tried the modem tweak in this thread with no improvement.

Today I pulled the battery, SD card and SIM card and kept out of the phone for 15 minutes. I'm hoping that helps.

My main problem the past couple of weeks has been the same as yours - phone won't pick up mobile data after waking up.

Did pulling the battery work?

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
you should be able to get a warranty replacement. Probably won't make much difference, but after a few, verizon might send you another phone as a replacement.

dm33

Dec 30, 2009
Visit site
you should be able to get a warranty replacement. Probably won't make much difference, but after a few, verizon might send you another phone as a replacement.

I bought the tbolt when it first came out with a 1yr commitment. Would they consider a replacement or not given that it's over a year since I bought it and I'm out of contract.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
I bought the tbolt when it first came out with a 1yr commitment. Would they consider a replacement or not given that it's over a year since I bought it and I'm out of contract.

If you bought the extended warranty, then yes. Otherwise, no.

AZSALUKI

Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
Just root it. I rooted mine a year ago because I wanted GB before Verizon pushed that update. My bolt is now a year and a few months old and it runs better than the day I bought it. I've had the same rom since novemeber (I'm on BAMF Forever rom). Hell, with custom roms, kernels, radios, etc.....I'd put my bolt up to many of the stock devices that launched 6 months later in quadrant tests. I'm also a bit overclocked. I will say I'm in Phoenix, which is one of the better LTE markets so I'm guessing that helps as well.

sent from my bolt using tapatalk

Edward_g

Oct 5, 2011
Visit site
I've had the Thunderbolt since launch day. It's perfect in every way for me. I've looked at the new phones and I can't get excited about any so far. I am rooted and I've settled in comfortably with Plan9 rom. In a crazy kind of way I'm disappointed that I'm not turned on to another phone as my contract will be up soon.

Sent from my rooted Thunderbolt using Tapatalk

lou1210

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
I have the same problem Edward. I rooted my phone and have had no problem with my phone. I want a new one for ics, but I don't know if it will be as great as my Thunderbolt has been. I have 6 months still before I decide though.

Sent from my rooted Thunderbolt using Tapatalk 2.

scott15851

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
Replacement #2 on way. Phone works a little better on DATA, 1x smokes 3g, how is this possible.
Earpiece is so distorted it makes my ear ring.
So they are sending me my second one.