HTC: ThunderBolt getting ICS before the end of the month (August)

paulmike3

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
Official HTC just answered someone's [mostly incoherent] post on their wall.

Q: Any update on the thunderbolt getting ics i bought this phone as the first 4g phone and yet we are all the last to get tue update can anyone give me a definitive answer on when ill see this update

HTC: Yes, we still plan on updating it sometime before the end of the month.

Last edited:

wlaw422

Mar 26, 2011
Visit site
Wow. Can't believe more people haven't replied to this. That sounds great!! All those gottabemobile.com posts last week drawing conclusions that the thunderboltbolt wouldn't get ICS because the HTC desire wasn't getting it... Screw that. I'm still hopeful. If it isn't here by Sept I give up. Thanks for the post!

Sent from my HTC Thunderbolt using Tapatalk 2

paintdrinkingpete

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
Re: HTC: ThunderBolt getting ICS before the end of the month (Aug

Official HTC just answered a post on their wall.
Q: Any update on the thunderbolt getting ics i bought this phone as the first 4g phone and yet we are all the last to get the update can anyone give me a definitive answer on when ill see this update

HTC: Yes, we still plan on updating it sometime before the end of the month.

I'll believe this when I see it. Seriously. You can only see stuff like this be posted so many times before you realize that 99% of the time is just doesn't happen. Not blaming you OP, just commenting based on my own experience.

Being the first 4G shouldn't have anything to do with it's priority for getting ICS, in fact if anything it's a hinderance, since OEMs and carriers are gonna push to get the more recent phones (you know, the ones people are spending money on) updated first. Your phone came with Froyo, you already got major update to GB...and given how rapidly smartphone technology is moving that's about the most you probably *should* expect unless you like to be disappointed.

Wow. Can't believe more people haven't replied to this. That sounds great!! All those gottabemobile.com posts last week drawing conclusions that the thunderboltbolt wouldn't get ICS because the HTC desire wasn't getting it... Screw that. I'm still hopeful. If it isn't here by Sept I give up. Thanks for the post!

Sent from my HTC Thunderbolt using Tapatalk 2

Agree it will be awesome if it happens... My prediction is that I'll be due for a new phone upgrade (Nov) before this update sees the light of day. Either way, I'll be happy.

Again sorry, not trying to be a downer, just a realist.

viper31573

Aug 3, 2012
Visit site

will i be able to get this update even though my phone is rooted? i only recently rooted, buttoday when i tried to go back to the point just before i changed the rom, my phone went into a boot loop. so i had to go back to the current rom. as far as i know, all the original bloatware is still on my phone

lou1210

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
Viper - No. Once you root, you don't get updates. You would want to find a rom that has the lastest updates included, so you have the best of both worlds. Getting your updates from a custom rom, and having a custom rom on a phone in your control. Maybe even debloated. :)

Sent from my rooted Thunderbolt using Tapatalk 2.

viper31573

Aug 3, 2012
Visit site
Is "debloated" really better? I installed a Rom I loved the other nite, but I couldn't even get my contacts back had to flash backwards.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Android Central Forums

K_Daddy

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site

I'm gonna have my Thunderbolt for at least 5 more months ICS or not. If it shows great if it don't I'll move on.

johnriii

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site

sounds like the typical company line. here we are @ august 1st-ish, and they say "sometime" before the end of the month. I won't be holding my breath. thanks for the optimism anyway, OP.

z71kris

What does that do?
Apr 19, 2011
Visit site

Is "debloated" really better? I installed a Rom I loved the other nite, but I couldn't even get my contacts back had to flash backwards.

I really suggest spending sometime reading and learning about custom ROMs. It prolly was not the ROMs fault you could not get your contacts back, did you make a back up of them in gmail first? Thats the easiest way to get your contacts is to sync with gmail. Next if you have rooted but not installed a custom ROM then yes you will receive any OTA pushed, and yes it will mess your phone up, if you want a stock experience then find a stock debloated ROM to run, that will not let you get an OTA(note all custom ROMs block OTAs).

skatergirl

Retired Moderator
Mar 22, 2011
Visit site

My sister has a Thunderbolt and I sure hope you all get the update!:)

defcon999

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site

sounds like the typical company line. here we are @ august 1st-ish, and they say "sometime" before the end of the month. I won't be holding my breath. thanks for the optimism anyway, OP.

++1.525

viper31573

Aug 3, 2012
Visit site
I really suggest spending sometime reading and learning about custom ROMs. It prolly was not the ROMs fault you could not get your contacts back, did you make a back up of them in gmail first? Thats the easiest way to get your contacts is to sync with gmail. Next if you have rooted but not installed a custom ROM then yes you will receive any OTA pushed, and yes it will mess your phone up, if you want a stock experience then find a stock debloated ROM to run, that will not let you get an OTA(note all custom ROMs block OTAs).

Yes I had backed up contacts and I've changed roms several times and that was the only time I had an issue

bjboucher

Apr 2, 2011
Visit site

Has a tbolt ota ever been released before an ruu leaked?

Not that i'm aware of. Had my phone since before the first OTA (about a month after release) and I've installed almost all the RUU leaks. Can't recall any OTAs that weren't leaked first.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress