Any luck getting a different phone from Verizon?

abledsoe

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
I think I have reached my limit with the Thunderbolt. I am currently approaching 30 hours of no Network connection("Network error, check the network"). Restarting the phone and pulling the battery did not fix the problem. This is a common occurrence but usually not for this long. Of course I have the usual problems of random reboots and bad battery, but also other issues, one big one is the phone is just insanely slow. When I need to make a call and I press the "phone" button on the home screen it takes at least 10 seconds to open the phone function. And if I go through my contact list it takes almost 30 seconds to dial a number once I choose it from the contact list.
The screen idle function will randomly stop working and I might not be near my phone, it will receive a text which activates the screen, I don't notice it and the screen will not go back into idle. Clearly, this is hard on the battery. When I go in and check the settings it is set to idle after 1 min. Again, this is intermittent.
I have taken the phone in twice to a verizon store, the first time I was told an update was about to come out that would fix the issues. There was an update, but it just made the phone worse. As have all the updates that have been pushed to the phone. The second time I took it in they didn't even look at the phone, and just asked if I had the Facebook app installed, which I did. They said that was the cause of all my problems. So, I uninstalled the app. Surprisingly, I still have all the problems.

I am not due for an upgrade until the end of February. Do I have any options at this point? I really just want a functioning phone.

abledsoe

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
I have not done a factory reset. The verizon store offered to wipe the phone and start over. I was just trying to avoid that. If I am going to start over and lose everything on my phone, I would rather it be because I am moving to a new phone.

am4966

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
Many T Bolt owners have been put in a different phone. But tier 2 is gonna want you to do a factory rest. Before they give you a different phone.

Or just tell them you did one already.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Android Central Forums

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Ditto, they are going to ask you to do a factory data reset to see if it fixes the problem before sending you a new phone. They typically will ask you if you checked for software updates and what software you have installed as well.

Sent from my Droid RAZR MAXX / Atrix Lapdock

viper31573

Aug 3, 2012
Visit site
my bolt wont power up at all, not even into hboot. i called them and they are sending me another bolt. i asked for a nexus but they said no i have to take a bolt or upgrade

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
my bolt wont power up at all, not even into hboot. i called them and they are sending me another bolt. i asked for a nexus but they said no i have to take a bolt or upgrade

It all depends on how you play your cards and who you get.

After 2 tb verizon offered me a charge or revolution, this was before the bionic came out. After 3 or 4 they offered me a rezound. Note that I never asked for another phone, they just offered it. I just said that i knew someone with a rezound and they weren't having signal problems, and verizon offered me one. Then went from rezound to razr maxx with similar discussion. Obviously ymmv, but if you call in and say my Tbolt sucks, give me a nexus, chances are they are going to say no.

Sent from my Droid RAZR MAXX / Atrix Lapdock

ToddL

May 7, 2011
Visit site
I called last week. Had to fight real hard to just get another TB sent to me (no warranty, and the tier 2 guy was trying to tell me it was an issue specific to my device). It arrives tomorrow or Tuesday. If that one still have problems, I'm hoping I can get a different phone (I would be fine with anything that doesn't have the data drop).

jldad

May 23, 2011
Visit site
I received several replacement TB, each having their own issues. I was offered a Charge, but I refused after reading the reviews. Eventually I was offered the Rezound. This phone is so much better than the TB. It is not perfect but there is no comparison in the two phones.

ToddL

May 7, 2011
Visit site
They ended up sending me a Droid 4 after the TB they sent me still had the data drop issue. I probably could have gotten a Rezound or something, but with the D4 I didn't have to pay for the battery or back. I'm happy, considering I was way out of warranty and didn't have extended warranty.

ETA: If you go down this route, you will without a doubt have to do a factory reset. I had to do that, plus a second TB before getting them to send me a different phone. And it took a significant amount of friendly pushing.

Last edited: