can a kernel brick a phone?

viper31573

Aug 3, 2012
Visit site
im using the thundershed rom. yesterday i flashed a different kernel. after flashing the kernel, the phone booted up fine,and i used it all day and has it on until about 2:30am. thats when i shut it and put it on the charger. when i woke up, it wouldnt boot past HTC screen. tried pulling battery a couple times, finally i just booted into recovery and loaded a retsore point, and phone booted fine after that. just wondering if the kernel could cause that?

mightyfacundo

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
I don't know if a kernel can completely brick a phone, but I do know that an incompatible kernel can cause all sorts of problems like the one you experienced.

jlibis

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
im using the thundershed rom. yesterday i flashed a different kernel. after flashing the kernel, the phone booted up fine,and i used it all day and has it on until about 2:30am. thats when i shut it and put it on the charger. when i woke up, it wouldnt boot past HTC screen. tried pulling battery a couple times, finally i just booted into recovery and loaded a retsore point, and phone booted fine after that. just wondering if the kernel could cause that?

Happened to me just loading a kernel version that was too old...didn't brick it but it messed it up

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums