How To: Play ThunderBolt media on a PS3 via DLNA

RichardClark

Dec 29, 2010
Visit site
Thanks to htowngtr in another thread, I found out that the PS3 can act as a DLNA client. Since the ThunderBolt can act as a DLNA server, you can connect the two to play ThunderBolt media on any TV connected to a PS3.

The online PlayStation3 user manual has detailed instructions on how to do this, so I thought I'd post them here for easy reference. Once the ThunderBolt launches, I'll come back and update this thread with the steps you need to take on the ThunderBolt's side to enable this feature.

PS3™ | Media Server Connection

Reactions: coreymcl and Jtron

anon(157335)

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
Thanks to htowngtr in another thread, I found out that the PS3 can act as a DLNA client. Since the ThunderBolt can act as a DLNA server, you can connect the two to play ThunderBolt media on any TV connected to a PS3.

The online PlayStation3 user manual has detailed instructions on how to do this, so I thought I'd post them here for easy reference. Once the ThunderBolt launches, I'll come back and update this thread with the steps you need to take on the ThunderBolt's side to enable this feature.

PS3? | Media Server Connection

The PS3 actually works pretty well with media sharing. I've been using it to stream media from my PC for a few years.

Unless there is some new technology in the TB that I'm not aware of, you will need to have your PS3 and your TB connected to your home network (i.e. WiFi via a wireless router); when the media server software is running on the TB you will be able to browse and view the media stored on your TB through the PS3.

As mentioned previously, many newer TVs have DLNA functionality built in so that you can do the same directly through the TV.

qzic

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site
The Xbox 360 can also act as a DLNA client, so the instructions here could be made more generic to cover both consoles.

biff6789

Aug 28, 2010
Visit site
I only wish that DLNA did more than just share movies, pics, and music over the stream. Imagine browsing the web, using the Skype functionality, or playing Angry Birds on the big screen via your phone.

Imagine it

htowngator

Jan 4, 2011
Visit site
The PS3 actually works pretty well with media sharing. I've been using it to stream media from my PC for a few years.

Unless there is some new technology in the TB that I'm not aware of, you will need to have your PS3 and your TB connected to your home network (i.e. WiFi via a wireless router); when the media server software is running on the TB you will be able to browse and view the media stored on your TB through the PS3.

As mentioned previously, many newer TVs have DLNA functionality built in so that you can do the same directly through the TV.

PS3 also has BT so I'm not sure if that would make any difference, but more than likely you have to be on the same wifi network.

empinball

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
I only wish that DLNA did more than just share movies, pics, and music over the stream. Imagine browsing the web, using the Skype functionality, or playing Angry Birds on the big screen via your phone.

Imagine it

I was wanting to do the same last night via Xbox.

Haven't had a chance to try yet, but this looks like it has all the info needed to set up streaming for Xbox, PS3 and Wii
http://www.maximumpc.com/article/streaming

project.in.process

May 18, 2010
Visit site
most of what i'm seeing requires a computer + 360/ps3 & tv

if that's the case--this sucks b/c my computer is slow/old as hell and i'm not about to install something like TVersity and 20 other programs for sharing.

am i missing something stupidly simple?

Thunderbolt and a ps3 with wifi network, connected to a tv...this sounds like it should be all i need for DLNA. am i wrong?

sammyboy405

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
Ive gotta be missing something here because I cannot for the life of me figure out how to get pictures to my tv via the DLNA.. I have a Thunderbolt and a PS3 / 360 Cant find it on either.

augusto

Mar 18, 2011
Visit site
I don't think you can. The TB would have to act as a DLNA server, I haven't found an option for it to do that, all is does is act as a DLNA client. The PS3 also has a DLNA client, it doesn't have a server.

I get this to work because my TV has a DLNA server, but I'm curious to see if people get this to work with a PS3 without requiring another machine in between.

ShawnMeds23

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
You should be able to share the TB picture and video folders on the network. Once you those folders are shared with the network. You will be able to view/play them on the PS3. I have a WD TV Live Media Server. Same basic deal. I just don't get my phone until tomorrow.

shellguy05

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site
Bump---

I'd really like to know if someone got their TB hooked up to the PS3. I have been trying and I can't get it done. Neither will find one another. It sucks.

bliedel

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
Good news: I downloaded the free version of IMediaShare and was able to hook up to my ps3 without issues. Just choose something to share and then follow the instructions on screen.

Bad news: Videos recorded by the thunderbolt are .3gp format, which is unrecognized by the ps3, so no showing home movies over DLNA through a PS3.

Blah..

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mehammed