1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default How To: Play ThunderBolt media on a PS3 via DLNA

Thanks to htowngtr in another thread, I found out that the PS3 can act as a DLNA client. Since the ThunderBolt can act as a DLNA server, you can connect the two to play ThunderBolt media on any TV connected to a PS3.

The online PlayStation3 user manual has detailed instructions on how to do this, so I thought I'd post them here for easy reference. Once the ThunderBolt launches, I'll come back and update this thread with the steps you need to take on the ThunderBolt's side to enable this feature.

My tech timeline: 1981 - First programmed. 1986 - First modem connection. 1993 - First Internet SLIP account. 2000 - First broadband connection. 2003 - First BlackBerry. 2011 - First Android.
    Thanked by 2:

Quote Originally Posted by RichardClark View Post
    Thanks to htowngtr in another thread, I found out that the PS3 can act as a DLNA client. Since the ThunderBolt can act as a DLNA server, you can connect the two to play ThunderBolt media on any TV connected to a PS3.

The online PlayStation3 user manual has detailed instructions on how to do this, so I thought I'd post them here for easy reference. Once the ThunderBolt launches, I'll come back and update this thread with the steps you need to take on the ThunderBolt's side to enable this feature.

The PS3 actually works pretty well with media sharing. I've been using it to stream media from my PC for a few years.

Unless there is some new technology in the TB that I'm not aware of, you will need to have your PS3 and your TB connected to your home network (i.e. WiFi via a wireless router); when the media server software is running on the TB you will be able to browse and view the media stored on your TB through the PS3.

As mentioned previously, many newer TVs have DLNA functionality built in so that you can do the same directly through the TV.

The Xbox 360 can also act as a DLNA client, so the instructions here could be made more generic to cover both consoles.

I only wish that DLNA did more than just share movies, pics, and music over the stream. Imagine browsing the web, using the Skype functionality, or playing Angry Birds on the big screen via your phone.

Imagine it

Global Posts
    1,325 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM 10 KANG

Yep

A lot of people forget that the PS3 was one of the first DLNA devices available to most people.

Global Posts
    1,325 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM 10 KANG

Quote Originally Posted by ProfessorTripp View Post
    The PS3 actually works pretty well with media sharing. I've been using it to stream media from my PC for a few years.

Unless there is some new technology in the TB that I'm not aware of, you will need to have your PS3 and your TB connected to your home network (i.e. WiFi via a wireless router); when the media server software is running on the TB you will be able to browse and view the media stored on your TB through the PS3.

As mentioned previously, many newer TVs have DLNA functionality built in so that you can do the same directly through the TV.
    PS3 also has BT so I'm not sure if that would make any difference, but more than likely you have to be on the same wifi network.

Quote Originally Posted by htowngtr View Post
    PS3 also has BT so I'm not sure if that would make any difference, but more than likely you have to be on the same wifi network.
    The PS3 only uses BT for accessories, not for data transmission.

Any updates since the TB launched?

Quote Originally Posted by biff6789 View Post
    I only wish that DLNA did more than just share movies, pics, and music over the stream. Imagine browsing the web, using the Skype functionality, or playing Angry Birds on the big screen via your phone.

Imagine it
    I was wanting to do the same last night via Xbox.

Haven't had a chance to try yet, but this looks like it has all the info needed to set up streaming for Xbox, PS3 and Wii

ROM
    Bamf Paradigm

most of what i'm seeing requires a computer + 360/ps3 & tv

if that's the case--this sucks b/c my computer is slow/old as hell and i'm not about to install something like TVersity and 20 other programs for sharing.

am i missing something stupidly simple?

Thunderbolt and a ps3 with wifi network, connected to a tv...this sounds like it should be all i need for DLNA. am i wrong?

Ive gotta be missing something here because I cannot for the life of me figure out how to get pictures to my tv via the DLNA.. I have a Thunderbolt and a PS3 / 360 Cant find it on either.

I don't think you can. The TB would have to act as a DLNA server, I haven't found an option for it to do that, all is does is act as a DLNA client. The PS3 also has a DLNA client, it doesn't have a server.

I get this to work because my TV has a DLNA server, but I'm curious to see if people get this to work with a PS3 without requiring another machine in between.

ROM
    Bamf on HTC. Stock prime

You should be able to share the TB picture and video folders on the network. Once you those folders are shared with the network. You will be able to view/play them on the PS3. I have a WD TV Live Media Server. Same basic deal. I just don't get my phone until tomorrow.

Bump---

I'd really like to know if someone got their TB hooked up to the PS3. I have been trying and I can't get it done. Neither will find one another. It sucks.

ROM
    Stock

Good news: I downloaded the free version of IMediaShare and was able to hook up to my ps3 without issues. Just choose something to share and then follow the instructions on screen.

Bad news: Videos recorded by the thunderbolt are .3gp format, which is unrecognized by the ps3, so no showing home movies over DLNA through a PS3.

Blah..

here you go guys Download from Market free apk called Twonky*then follow set up from your Tunderbolt direct to your PS3/TV