Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default what would I be missing if I went with the Incredible?

Hi there,

I'm fed up to here with BB's games on the TB and I'm real close to running out of patience altogether. So, I went over to the VZW site and saw the Incredible. I've never had an Android before so aside from the specs which I can read for myself - opinions and experience on what would I be missing if I just got the Incredible - and I would NOT buy it from BB. I see the price is much easier on the wallet for one thing. I don't have 4G here and won't for like 1-2 years anyway. I do like the fact that the TB is more square looking than long and rectangular. I don't need all the music stuff that the TB offers anyway. Thanks for your input.

Deb

Global Posts
    112 Global Posts

I just picked up the incredible from best buy. they are selling them for $0.00 with the signing of a 2 year contract. If the TB comes out within 14 days, I will get that, if not i'll keep this Dinc. also, if you get it now, you get the buy back program for free.

Then again I was upgrading from a BB Tour, so anything was a huge upgrade.

HTC Sense 2.0
    Front facing camera
    Bigger screen
    KICKSTAND.
    [Verizon] HTC Thunderbolt 4G LTE Rooted with S-OFF
    Pick up date: [3.17.2011]
    Recovery: [Clockwork 3.0.2.5]
    ROM: [Das BAMF v1.5] Radio: [1.16.00.0402] Kernal: [2.6.32.21 BAMF 4.4.2]

Like you said, LTE, and a little bit of ram. Most other things are negligible like the camera quality and screen size. There would be a slight change in Sense too. If you don't have LTE in your area, I wouldn't worry about not getting the Thunderbolt. The Incredible is a great phone and so is the Thunderbolt.

I think the most important things you would sacrifice are bigger screen and video calling. And if you live or work in a city with LTE coverage, the data speed will be a huge factor.

Quote Originally Posted by debsdroid View Post
    Hi there,

I'm fed up to here with BB's games...
    I completely understand your frustration and support your decision if you choose to grab an Inc.

But in all fairness, I don't think BB or Verizon is "playing games" as has often been mentioned by multiple members of this forum lately.

In regards to BB, I sincerely believe they were told they had a green light for the 14th, but had the rug pulled out from under them when it was discovered Verizon had a major LTE handoff issue. Verizon probs told them they couldn't sell it and had to wait, but Verizon let them take the blunt of the bad PR since they could get away with doing so. Shady move, but that's life

As for Verizon, the original release date was supposedly March, and the only thing Verizon ever promised was at CES when they said the first LTE devices would be here in March - so anything on or before that meets their promise. But the early release of the Atrix has forced their hand and blackmanx has suggested on twitter that Verizon's engineers are scrambling to get this thing out there earlier - all the way to the point now that Verizon seems to be releasing it early without some key features (Skype, mobile hotspot) just to get it into consumers hands to keep them happy

I have the Incredible coming from BB it is a huge difference and improvement. I love the device. I have taken video on it and it is amazing what this device can do. Call quality is awesome and that is important to me. It is my only phone so it has to have great sound. My music also sounds amazing. My photos look good too. You can't go wrong with the Incredible. It is really a decent device.
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

Kickstand is nice, but I was able to hold a TB and I was a little concerned that the kickstand would get caught on things in my purse because it doesn't take much to open it. I thought it would take a little more muscle to snap it open but it's way easy to do. To easy in my opinion.

Due to the fact that BB cannot get an ad right and have printed the TB several times now as I understand it - as if it's ready for sale - I don't intend to give them my biz even at $0. They blew it far as I'm concerned. I don't care what the reason for the delay is anymore - they shouldn't be printing things until they are SURE they will have them in stock and for sale like their ad portrays they are. I'll give them the one time 14th fiasco, but this one ... I have no more forgiveness left in me.

The two things that are really drawing me to the TB is that wider screen and the more square look of it.

I'm thinking the Incredible (or any Android for that matter) HAS to be faster than my Storm 1 - is my thinking correct? Anyone go from a Storm 1 to an Android in the past year or so that would be willing to comment on that?

Like Linx above - I'm thinking anything is better than my Storm right now but I also don't want to make some huge mistake just cuz I'm currently p'd off right now.

LTE Hotspot, even if just when traveling (since you aren't in an LTE market).

[/end thread]
    Banned

Global Posts
    17,682 Global Posts

I'm thinking of doing the same, Deb. I'd be coming from a BlackBerry Tour.

I don't mind not having a kickstand or hotspot (I don't have a computer or any wifi devices).

The FFC...not sure if I'd use vid calling.

The bigger screen I do want.

Will the DInc be getting Sense 2.0?

Global Posts
    294 Global Posts

Pretty much anything out is better than the Storm 1. I have the Storm 2 and can not wait to ditch it for the TBolt. I feel you pain with the Strom 1, as I had it before the 2.

Global Posts
    158 Global Posts
    ROM
    Liquid Thundersense v1.3

Other than the processor being 2nd Gen Snapdragon and of course the obvious specs (FFC, screen size, etc) you aren't really missing much. I have an Inc now and I love it but I do have LTE in all the areas I visit frequently so that's why I am upgrading to the TB. Camera shots are great, video recording is great. I have about 150 apps loaded and it's still running lightingsuper fast. Pretty durable because heaven knows I've dropped enough without any dings or scratches showing such. HTC for me has the best UI with Sense. I've only loaded music once and it didn't work out well but who's to say it wasn't my card or something I don't know. I have an iPod so I didn't feel like being bothered. I've been thinking about rooting and overclocking to test all tha stuff out. If you want to save money and you aren't expecting LTE for another 2 yrs I say go for it.

As far as OTAs go though with the Inc having been out for almost a year if and when we get Gingerbread (2.3 update) who's to say that the Inc will get that update but at this point no one knows if it will or won't.

Quote Originally Posted by Chrisy View Post

I don't mind not having a kickstand or hotspot (I don't have a computer or any wifi devices).
    The Inc does have hotspot. That came with the Froyo update and it works beautifully!
    I fight dirty and don't give a F what you think about it...you want sugar coated go to a candy store

No patience for people who can dish it but can't take it

My history has a sorted past...it all started with an RIM 2-way pager back in 2001... 2003: SK Color...2004: SK2 JC & MC...2005: BB & SK2...2006: SK3 DVF...2007: iPhone & SK3...2008: SKLX & iPhone 3G...2009: SKLX09 & iPhone 3GS...Nov 2009: BB 9700 & iPhone 3GS...2010: D-Inc... 2011: THUNDERBOLTS ARE GO!!!
    Banned

Global Posts
    17,682 Global Posts

How large is the DIin screen? I like the price too..hmmm

I almost bought the DIin and then I held my friends EVO and said NOPE!
  15. Thread Author  Thread Author    #15  

Quote Originally Posted by biff6789 View Post
    In regards to BB, I sincerely believe they were told they had a green light for the 14th, but had the rug pulled out from under them when it was discovered Verizon had a major LTE handoff issue. Verizon probs told them they couldn't sell it and had to wait, but Verizon let them take the blunt of the bad PR since they could get away with doing so. Shady move, but that's life
    Games may not be the best choice of words - a store should NOT advertise something they don't have available for sale. Yes, I know it happens, that's what rain checks are for. One rug pulled - ok - but to me it's bad business to let it happen a second time. What you do after you get burned once, is you wait until you have the product in stock and THEN advertise it. A business plays w/their reputation when they allow stuff like this to happen especially when it could so easily be avoided.
  16. Thread Author  Thread Author    #16  

Quote Originally Posted by akira751 View Post
    I almost bought the DIin and then I held my friends EVO and said NOPE!
    I think the Evo is Sprint isn't it? I'm on VZW.
    Banned

Global Posts
    17,682 Global Posts

EVO is Sprint, yes.
  18. Thread Author  Thread Author    #18  

EVO is Sprint, yes.
    Well, that leaves me out. Thanks, tho!
  19. Thread Author  Thread Author    #19  

3.7" it's more rectangular. You can see sizes on the VZW site for all the phones.

The FFC...not sure if I'd use vid calling.

The bigger screen I do want.

Will the DInc be getting Sense 2.0?
    Nope. HTC never updates the Sense version of their phones and they haven't really done it since the TouchWiz (old Sense) days back on Windows Mobile

There are several ROMs that currently run a Desire Z port which will provide you with an unofficial version of Sense 2.0, though, if you wanna go that route to get Sense 2.0 on your Inc

Quote Originally Posted by debsdroid View Post
    I think the Evo is Sprint isn't it? I'm on VZW.
    same size screen as the TB

A slightly intangible thing is that over time the Thunderbolt will get some new things that the DInc won't. Like maybe, and it is unknown right now Netflix
    Nexus Lover

Global Posts
    1,268 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOKP JB Build 4

you would be missing:

- 4G LTE (if you are in a 4g market)
    - Kickstand!
    - Dolby Sound
    - Next-Generation Snapdragon
    - Larger Screen (if you want it)
    - Sense 2.0

To me, the thunderbolt is a great upgrade over the incredible and it is worth the wait.
    Follow me on Twitter!

Add me on Google+

Link

You'd be wise to read up on the Incredible's battery life and then see what you think. I thought it was the perfect phone and had been set on getting it until I read such widespread complaints about its battery, including from a couple of friends of mine who have Incredibles. They love it, but they don't love its battery. These are modern, full-featured, big-screened, connected smartphones, so none of them are great with battery life, and many require you to be careful about things like screen brightness, radio usage, certain kinds of app usage, and other settings, but it sounds like the Incredible is bad even within that context and has trouble making it through a full day without a lot of tweaking and miserly use. That's a dealbreaker for me. I don't want to have to worry about that or actively manage the thing throughout the day to make it through. I charge every night anyway, but I need a full day of average use plus a little cushion for unexpecteds. My information is all second hand, unlike the people posting here who own one, so take that grain of salt, but this is what my research turned up.

What we don't yet know, however, is how much better the TB will be in this regard. We know it has a worryingly small battery (many of us expected a bump up from the 2010 average, not a bump down), it has a substantially larger screen than 2010 average (eats more power), yet it has a 2nd gen processor which is supposed to use less power than the 1st gen. Between those factors and other power-management variables in the TB, we don't know what its battery life will be like over time for various usage patterns, so it's hard to say whether you'd be missing better battery performance if you got an Incredible instead. We do know that 4G apparently kills it within a matter of hours, but that appears to be the case for all of the first wave of 4G phones. I'm wait-and-see on the TB and no-thanks on the Incredible. Go google Incredible battery issues and see if it sways you or not. I'm sure the Incredible forum here has lots to say as well.

ROM
    Froyo/Sense 2.0

good to know....I have only four months left on contract and do not wish to use my upgrade on an older generation phone...can I just buy the phone at wall mart or something...get my number transferred over and not add two more years or burn my upgrade?

Does anyone know?
    These are not the droids you are looking for....
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast