Video Chatting Possibilities

TifaLockheart

Mar 5, 2011
Visit site
I have done an exhaustive(ok, 30 minute) search on the forums but haven't really gotten the answer I am looking for. I am new to android. If skype is not available on the thunderbolt, can't I just use yahoo messenger or msn? Or is this just not available on android yet? Sorry for my ignorance and thanks for your help.
Just seems kinda silly this is so hard to do considering the iphone4 facethingie works.

magisternautaque

Oct 23, 2010
Visit site
not sure about yahoo or msn, but you can download tango or fring from the android market for smartphone-to-smartphone video calls, or oovoo for smartphone-to-smartphone or smartphone-to-pc

project.in.process

May 18, 2010
Visit site
yahoo video chat is available only on certain phones (ie Evo), it's yet to be announced if it will be upgraded/modified to include the Thunderbolt when it is finally available.

+1 for Tango. i use it for cross platform chat (android to iphone) and it works wonderfully

FatalErrorz

Banned
Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
yahoo video chat is available only on certain phones (ie Evo), it's yet to be announced if it will be upgraded/modified to include the Thunderbolt when it is finally available.

+1 for Tango. i use it for cross platform chat (android to iphone) and it works wonderfully

YM will work. It's just an app. Yahoo! hasn't had a chance to install it on a Bolt yet, so they won't say it will work. I will guarantee it will work, and I don't have the phone yet either. It works on the Evo because the Evo has a FFC like the Bolt. Tango is HELL on a cellphone battery, and I don't know why.

project.in.process

May 18, 2010
Visit site
YM will work. It's just an app. Yahoo! hasn't had a chance to install it on a Bolt yet, so they won't say it will work. I will guarantee it will work, and I don't have the phone yet either. It works on the Evo because the Evo has a FFC like the Bolt. Tango is HELL on a cellphone battery, and I don't know why.

from the YahooMessenger app description: "Video (Beta) requires OS 2.2+, Yahoo! Messenger Voice & Video Plug-in and myTouch4G or EVO"

the description doesn't mention any other phone with a FFC (like Nexus S) so even if the Bolt has a FFC, it still has to have specific support written into the App for it to work with the listed phone. so, get the TBolt but you might not get YahooVideo to work. it'll be cool if it does, but there's bound to be support for more devices as more FFC phones are released.

FatalErrorz

Banned
Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
from the YahooMessenger app description: "Video (Beta) requires OS 2.2+, Yahoo! Messenger Voice & Video Plug-in and myTouch4G or EVO"

the description doesn't mention any other phone with a FFC (like Nexus S) so even if the Bolt has a FFC, it still has to have specific support written into the App for it to work with the listed phone. so, get the TBolt but you might not get YahooVideo to work. it'll be cool if it does, but there's bound to be support for more devices as more FFC phones are released.

They don't list it because the Bolt hasn't been released yet. I know for a FACT it works on the Nexus S because a buddy of mine has it. Oh well, for the sake of argument we'll say it doesn't. K? That will mean Verizon sucks because they released a phone with a FFC, and no videochat app. Skype in the market still has no videochat, and when they fix it, or if they make it, it will be there. It will not be a Verizon exclusive.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress