TB Acquisition Strategy

Whosurdaddy

Aug 27, 2010
Visit site
OK, so I just found out that there is no longer a one-year upgrade program. So what would happen if I:
a) activated a new line,
b) transferred the TB to my primary line where I wanted it all along and
c) canceled the new line.

Paying the early termination fee, wouldn't I still come out ahead versus a full retail purchase?

Is there any way of avoiding paying of full retail price? Help a brotha out.

RichardClark

Dec 29, 2010
Visit site
What is the ETF amount? $375? Why not activate the new line as part of a family plan. Those lines are only $9.99 plus taxes. Paying that per month for 24 months is less than paying the ETF.

jcastag

Aug 6, 2010
Visit site
They removed the annual upgrade for customers that activated or renewed AFTER Feb 16th. If your contract was from before that you are grandfathered in and still have your annual upgrade or NE2 - not both. Once you use it though a new contract goes into effect and you will now have to wait until 21 months to get a new handset at the upgrade price.

soccerfon711

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
What is the ETF amount? $375? Why not activate the new line as part of a family plan. Those lines are only $9.99 plus taxes. Paying that per month for 24 months is less than paying the ETF.

He's right. Although it would be tricky because you would have to activate the line, then transfer the upgrade to your primary line before you purchase the phone. Mostly because I think the Thunderbolt requires a data plan and you don't want to pay $40 a month for 24 months. Hopefully that makes sense.

Whosurdaddy

Aug 27, 2010
Visit site
They removed the annual upgrade for customers that activated or renewed AFTER Feb 16th. If your contract was from before that you are grandfathered in and still have your annual upgrade or NE2 - not both. Once you use it though a new contract goes into effect and you will now have to wait until 21 months to get a new handset at the upgrade price.

I got an Incredible last May or something, so according to you I would be grandfathered into an Annual Upgrade - though they told me that I don't have one. I'm just looking for the cheapest way to get me my 4g.

Whosurdaddy

Aug 27, 2010
Visit site
He's right. Although it would be tricky because you would have to activate the line, then transfer the upgrade to your primary line before you purchase the phone. Mostly because I think the Thunderbolt requires a data plan and you don't want to pay $40 a month for 24 months. Hopefully that makes sense.

Interesting. How do I transfer an upgrade from a newly activated number before I buy the phone?

Whosurdaddy

Aug 27, 2010
Visit site
$9.99 (which is actually $15 w/fees/taxes) x 24 mos = $360 plus $249 plus sales tax is $623. So I may as well just buy at retail.

I guess someone at VZW knows their math.

soccerfon711

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
$9.99 (which is actually $15 w/fees/taxes) x 24 mos = $360 plus $249 plus sales tax is $623. So I may as well just buy at retail.

I guess someone at VZW knows their math.

Lol. True. Did not think about the taxes/fees. But, if you did it the other way, you would have an extra line and an upgrade every year. Enticing.

If you do decide on doing that, when you sign up for the line on your family account you can ask for them to switch the upgrade to your primary and you will use the old phone for the new line. I'm pretty sure anyone would be able to do that for you. Or you could do it yourself online: when you click upgrade device you can switch upgrades between phones.

jcastag

Aug 6, 2010
Visit site
Since you got it in May, and assuming you signed a new 2yr then, you would have your annual upgrade coming up this May. This does not show up in your account when you log into myverizon, you would need to call cust care for that info. MyVerizon just shows your contract end date.

Either way, you would have to wait until May to get the TB at the 249 price, and I highly doubt they would move your upgrade up 3 months. The most I have ever heard is a few weeks.

JustinD2473#IM

Feb 28, 2010
Visit site
adding a 2nd line and keeping it is your best option if you have an older dumb phone you can put on that line.

$271 (est with tax) for Thunderbolt
$240 (est with tax) for 20 months of the 2nd line on your bill
=$511

$375 ETF for 2nd line termination
=$646

Not to mention, what if you could get a friend or a family member to use that 2nd line for even $30-40 a month, now you're saving money on your bill.

Reactions: Whosurdaddy

Whosurdaddy

Aug 27, 2010
Visit site
"annual upgrade coming up this May. This does not show up in your account when you log into myverizon, you would need to call cust care for that info. MyVerizon just shows your contract end date.

Either way, you would have to wait until May to get the TB at the 249 price..."

They did away with annual upgrades in January.....

Whosurdaddy

Aug 27, 2010
Visit site
adding a 2nd line and keeping it is your best option if you have an older dumb phone you can put on that line.

$240 (est with tax) for 20 months of the 2nd line on your bill
=$511

$375 ETF for 2nd line termination
=$646

Not to mention, what if you could get a friend or a family member to use that 2nd line for even $30-40 a month, now you're saving money on your bill.

Didn't realize I'd only have to go for 20 months, or maybe less if I get a one year contract.

So I guess I just bring an old dumb phone with me, buy the TB on a new line, immediately transfer it to proper number and activate dumb phone. Then turn off dumb phone/line ASAP. Interesting.

PJnc284

Nov 6, 2009
Visit site
They did away with annual upgrades in January.....

Not on existing lines. If you started a contract prior to Jan 16th, then you'd still have 1 more annual upgrade or NE2 discount to use if you were on an eligible plan.

Doesn't that change the price of the phone or the service?

The 1 yr contract price is usually $70 more than the 2 yr contract price unless they change it significantly. $70 < ~$180. That's assuming you already have a family plan and not converting from an individual line.

Didn't realize I'd only have to go for 20 months, or maybe less if I get a one year contract.

So I guess I just bring an old dumb phone with me, buy the TB on a new line, immediately transfer it to proper number and activate dumb phone. Then turn off dumb phone/line ASAP. Interesting.

You would be able to upgrade the second line at 20 months but wouldn't be able to terminate it until 24 without an ETF. 1 yr contract lines upgrade at 10 months.

jcastag

Aug 6, 2010
Visit site
Yes you are right, I got the months confused.

They got the iPhone Feb 10, so they needed to changed all of their policies before that and f**ked everything up for their long time customers with return and upgrade/NE2.

Whosurdaddy

Aug 27, 2010
Visit site
What is the ETF formula? I assume that the full ETF amount of $375 gets smaller over time so at the break-even point I could kill off the new line?

rigorx

Jan 7, 2011
Visit site
Do not forget that whether you buy the TBolt outright, 1 year, or 2 year deal, you pay tax on the full retail MSRP price of $599; not the discounted price VZW gives you.

I'm getting a TBolt on a 1 year deal for the $319 (+tax) that was announced on Twitter by @VerizonWireless

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cloudsofmana