Thunderbolt Problems & Solutions Tracker + Battery Tips 8/13/11

AmousmosesMW

Feb 14, 2011
Visit site
I'm also having an issue since I took the update last week. I have not seen the 4G indicator since the update. But it's weird because the 3G indicator is now in the same font as the 4G was and I do seem to be moving at speeds faster than when I was on 3G before when I initially got my Bolt (and didn't have 4G in my area yet)
Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

RJSAdvisors

Apr 15, 2011
Visit site
Re: Thunderbolt Problems & Solutions Tracker + Battery Tips (4/5

Before the MR2 I used to get 4G intermittently at home, but sometimes I got no data connection at all or it dropped down to 1X. Since the MR2 update I get steady 3G at home, which is probably better than jumping around all the time searching for different signals. The MR2 update may have been configured to screen out weak 4G connections that are not reliable enough to avoid frequent handoffs to 3G or 1X connections. This issue is likely to be resolved over time as Verizon gradually adds to and strengths its new 4G network.

RJSAdvisors

Apr 15, 2011
Visit site

Before the MR2 I used to get 4G intermittently at home, but sometimes I got no data connection at all or it dropped down to 1X. Since the MR2 update I get steady 3G at home, which is probably better than jumping around all the time searching for different signals. The MR2 update may have been configured to screen out weak 4G connections that are not reliable enough to avoid frequent handoffs to 3G or 1X connections. This issue is likely to be resolved over time as Verizon gradually adds to and strengths its new 4G network.
I forgot to add that since the MR2 update my phone's battery life has improved dramatically. I am still at 93% today after being up 9 hours. I did not do much with the phone today, but it used to drop at least 3% every hour it was up before the update, so after 9 hours I would have been no better than 73%. That's a huge improvement. :D

t0ked

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site

My phone is reborn after the last update. Aside from all the smaller improvements, the most noticeable thing is the battery life. Wow. Yesterday i charged it and took it to a Yankees game. Solid 4G service. Texting and pictures all day. No WiFi used at all. For home, several phonecalls with gf. Uploaded pictures to Google+. FB updates and several minutes of angry birds. Then fell asleep. Woke up expecting a dead phone. It was in the red but still working and total up time since last charge was 21 hours and just under 6 hours of total awake time! I feel bad for those still having such a bad time with this phone because this phone truly rocks. As of now, I'm loving this thing. I also got in some speed test results during the day and got a solid 35mbps down and 5mbps up. I'm shocked how long this battery lasted. And wished they would have gotten this update out sooner. Maybe would have prevented the initial bad press about this phone's battery life.

Last edited:

jfarinella

Feb 8, 2011
Visit site

I'm in the same catagory as the happy campers. This update has dramatically improved my battery life as well as cleaned up GPS. Overall this update has been solid.

neutronjeff

Apr 30, 2011
Visit site
Out of Space Error

I'm getting an error all the time now that says "Out of space" "<filename> could not be downloaded. Free up some space on your phone and try again."

Both my main and SD memory areas have lots of space (GBs).
This seems to be causing Mail to FC when I try to accept an attached photo in an email.
Other instances occur on attempted web downloads of jpgs, pdfs, I haven't seen a pattern.

Please give me any advice on how to troubleshoot this.

Thank you,

neutronjeff

Apr 30, 2011
Visit site

Today, I am getting a new variant. I open Mail and it tries to update and then,

"Alert There is not enough free memory to download this mail."

WTF!? This happens after a reboot, so no other things have launched as far as I know.

I'm stock MR2. If I go to Running services I have "Avail:124MB+244MB in 56"

Thanks for any help.

neutronjeff

Apr 30, 2011
Visit site
Re: signs of a virus?

So, I got some advice from VZW after asking on Twitter:
Re-format my SD and Reset the phone.

So, I copied my SD contents and started looking at them. I found some disturbing (to me) things in my Downloads folder.

First, several documents that were originally email attachments had some how sprouted a couple THOUSAND copies of themselves. Literally, 2 - 3 thousand copies of a word doc or a pdf. They all had date-time stamps appended to the filename.
Then, I also found over 1700 "token#############" files which my Mac calls Unix Executable files.

Are these signs of a virus?
I have had Lookout for a while. Is there another way to scan for a source of trouble?

Any help appreciated.

e-gadget-guy

Aug 19, 2011
Visit site
Re: Thunderbolt Problems & Solutions Tracker + Battery Tips 8/13/

RE: BUMP Charging.

All Lithium Ion batteries 'should' contain a chip that prevents overcharging. Bump charging seems to me to be useless since it will either A) not charge past a certain level no matter what you do, or B) EXPLODE!!! if it's overcharged past a certain level. Neither is a good result.

It is recommended by the OEM to condition the battery pack when first used by charging fully and using it until it shuts down. [the phone] then repeat two or three times. After that any subsequent charges should not affect performance. The MFGRs recommend carrying a full charge whenever possible, so top off as often as you like. I charge my phone every day and I still get the same time from the battery as when practically new.

byrds8

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site

I have an extended battery and when I bump charged it once I got 40ish hours before I put it on at 30ish percent. The next day I only charged it to 100% and pulled it off before bed and by morning I had dropped 17%. Say what ya will but seems bumping it a few times gives me a longer lasting charge. I know when I bump charged it and pulled it off before bed when I woke up the next morning I was still sitting at 100%. Today it was at 88% when I started charging it and it had been off charger for almost 22 hours.

saraheba

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site

My husband's Bolt is stock and mine is rooted with Das BAMF P3. Neither phone will keep a ringtone set even if it's one that came with the phone. Is there a fix for this? Mine are downloads and he just uses stock ones, but after they're set, they don't stay that way. Mine will play wrong ringtone for wrong person at times. I've renamed the files and moved them to the media folder on the sdcard. Thanks!

bunique4life05

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site

HI, I own an HTC Thunderbolt since it's launch. I rooted my phone by using auto root from AC then dabbled little bit with CM7. In the end I went back to stock root, so I am pretty familiar with android but no expert. Now I haven't done anything new to my phone for over several month but for past few weeks my phone subtlety and randomly has performance issues.

Performance Issues:
Screen Freeze for second in midway through command seems only when opening app drawer or app or cycling through open and recent apps.
Non-responsive to commands
Delay or lag in touch or button commands
Lack speed when opening or loading apps.

Benchmark tests all seems fine except linpack is at 5 or 6 mflops at 13 to 30 seconds.

Any ideas or advice would be greatly appreciated?

Cyber Warrior

Robots Will Kill
Nov 28, 2010
Visit site

where is the 8/13/11 update at??????

Nothing special added...... Removed some problems and solutions that were still listed from when the phone was first released that have been fixed with software upgrades since then.

bionicmastablasta

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site

Need a little help if you get a chance... I can't seem to find the post that describes how to remove the caps lock on text msgs's, I am not selecting it and it comes automatically, I tried the keyboard settings, but I am simply not aware of all the features that this phone has, thanks

Cyber Warrior

Robots Will Kill
Nov 28, 2010
Visit site

Need a little help if you get a chance... I can't seem to find the post that describes how to remove the caps lock on text msgs's, I am not selecting it and it comes automatically, I tried the keyboard settings, but I am simply not aware of all the features that this phone has, thanks

Well double tapping the shift key turns on/off the caps lock. It shouldn't be automatically turning on by itself though. Try rebooting the phone.. it might just be a glitch.
Is it possible you're accidently double tapping the shift key and not realizing it?

natehoy

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site

I'm not convinced the battery consumption charts are all that accurate (in terms of what is using the battery). I have the HTC extended battery, and it always shows that most of the battery is consumed by the screen (around 60-70% when I really work hard to manage the screen, 80-85% or so if I just leave it bright).

Even with the extended battery and conservative usage, I've been getting down to about 50% battery by noon to 1PM after unplugging the battery at 6AM, and putting the phone on the charger for a while either sometime during the day or sometime in the evening or I'd be looking at a low-battery warning by 11PM.

Monday, my company installed a cell repeater so I finally get a stable signal at my desk. No more toggling between 1x and 3G and no signal all day for me any more! Yippee!

But, more importantly, battery life has changed far more than I thought possible. I unplugged the phone at 6AM, it's 1:15PM, and I'm sitting pretty at 76% battery charge.

The battery use graph still shows the same percentage going to the screen that I'd expect from use before the repeater got put in, though. About 65%. None of the other percentages have moved any significant amount in any way. Yet I've got TWICE the battery left compared to when I did not get decent signal and the phone struggled with the radios all day, so I can only assume the radio was pulling a LOT of power that wasn't being reported on the graphs.

So apparently the radio usage doesn't really get tracked, or at least doesn't get tracked accurately.

Maybe everyone else knew this, but it came as a surprise to me and I thought it might be a useful tidbit for others.

Anyway, managing the brightness of that big, bold, beautiful screen is still probably the #1 thing you can do to extend battery life. But keeping the phone in areas where it gets solid signal seems to be pretty high up on the charts, too.

Cyber Warrior

Robots Will Kill
Nov 28, 2010
Visit site

@natehoy
As far as the screen goes with battery percentage.... it will always be at the top of the list and most likely first. The phone uses the screen for everything. Under certain circumstances.... say if you made a very long phone call or you were listining to music... then the screen would be off during that time and you would see Dialer or Music App at the top of the list. Its a percentage out of 100 (obviously).... so even if your phone is fully charged and you pull it off of the charger, the screen will still average around 60-80% of the battery even though it was only on for a few
minutes. As the day goes on... other apps will use up that percentage and lower the number of the screen.

natehoy

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site

@natehoy
As far as the screen goes with battery percentage.... it will always be at the top of the list and most likely first. The phone uses the screen for everything. Under certain circumstances.... say if you made a very long phone call or you were listining to music... then the screen would be off during that time and you would see Dialer or Music App at the top of the list. Its a percentage out of 100 (obviously).... so even if your phone is fully charged and you pull it off of the charger, the screen will still average around 60-80% of the battery even though it was only on for a few
minutes. As the day goes on... other apps will use up that percentage and lower the number of the screen.

Agreed, it just seemed odd that having a better signal would nearly double my battery life, while not affecting the measured percentages in any noticeable way. I mean, it's only a sample of two days and maybe I shouldn't put much stock in it, but it's a significant enough difference that I'm wondering if the battery monitor reads actual radio usage at all (or even if it can).

I'm beginning to understand the differences in claims of battery life. In a spot where the phone is constantly struggling to maintain a -115db signal, the phone dies almost twice as quickly as when it's sitting pretty at -85db, but still blames most of it on the screen (which is a major battery hog, agreed, it's the price we pay for a massive screen). :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Non