Location (Verizon & GPS) Icon

dbdynsty25

May 1, 2010
Visit site
Has anyone figured out how to get rid of the stupid Location/GPS icon that is always in the notification bar? It's not on any of the Motorola phones so I am wondering if it's possible to get rid of it somehow (hack or whatever). It just takes up too much damn space. If I've got the phone on vibrate, with the bluetooth enabled, it's damn near 3/4 of the notification bar and that just bugs me. Yeah, it's ridiculous, but I like to have a clean look up there and not to mention it's a horrid icon.

Reactions: UPEngineer

Droid800

Banned
Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
Has anyone figured out how to get rid of the stupid Location/GPS icon that is always in the notification bar? It's not on any of the Motorola phones so I am wondering if it's possible to get rid of it somehow (hack or whatever). It just takes up too much damn space. If I've got the phone on vibrate, with the bluetooth enabled, it's damn near 3/4 of the notification bar and that just bugs me. Yeah, it's ridiculous, but I like to have a clean look up there and not to mention it's a horrid icon.

From what I understand, its there because the LTE network requires location data quite often. If you're using the HTC flip clock and its displaying weather data, it will also be on because it uses location services to get that data.

prakash99

Aug 15, 2010
Visit site
I have anther query about location. I didn't want to start another thread so I am posting here to see if anyone can help me out.

In the settings, I usually check either all three options. Otherwise, I check the standalone GPS location and either VZW or Google location.

What would be the better optimization of location settings? Does checking all three options have a negative impact on battery consumption?

dbdynsty25

May 1, 2010
Visit site
From what I understand, its there because the LTE network requires location data quite often. If you're using the HTC flip clock and its displaying weather data, it will also be on because it uses location services to get that data.

It has nothing to do with LTE. The Incredible on 3G has it too. Some phones have it sitting on the notification bar, and some don't. So obviously it's not a Verizon requirement, and as Corey mentioned, it can't be removed. That's just dumb. You should be able to at least hide the icon, even though you can't disable the 911 services. That's what the target is for in the first place. Once you turn on the location stuff, it adds the little )).

Droid800

Banned
Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
I have anther query about location. I didn't want to start another thread so I am posting here to see if anyone can help me out.

In the settings, I usually check either all three options. Otherwise, I check the standalone GPS location and either VZW or Google location.

What would be the better optimization of location settings? Does checking all three options have a negative impact on battery consumption?

Yes. If you choose any, choose Google or Verizon. Both are lower power, especially Verizon's since it uses their towers. (Verizon has a proprietary A-gps setup, which I found out about when my Pre Plus couldn't actually use GPS indoors)

The best option, if you don't need to use location, is to just uncheck them all.

Reactions: prakash99

djcyph

Nov 24, 2010
Visit site
Yes. If you choose any, choose Google or Verizon. Both are lower power, especially Verizon's since it uses their towers. (Verizon has a proprietary A-gps setup, which I found out about when my Pre Plus couldn't actually use GPS indoors)

The best option, if you don't need to use location, is to just uncheck them all.
;)....
all three should stay on.. does not hurt battery as the device shouldnt be requesting location fix unless your in an app or service that needs it. IE google maps, or 4square...

biff6789

Aug 28, 2010
Visit site
Custom ROMs usually take it out. If you're in to rooting and flashing ROMs then that will be your best solution eventually

stearic

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
It's not due to LTE, it's got to do with HTC. That wasn't on my OG droid when i had it, stock or with CM on it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dumpsterrentals38