Outlook - Thunderbolt complete sync (No exchange server)

larryg

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
so my first android, comming from windows mobile, we had a very simple ms windows mobile sync that was fairly elegant, was able to fully sync contacts, appointments, tasks and notes. Tried companion link, seems it works through deja office so for example your calendar items are not in the native andoid calendar but in a deja calendar app. same for notes, tasks etc. Markspace seems to work the same way. Wondering if anyone out there with a pop/imap account and outlook has any suggestions.

EvolutionGSR

Jan 20, 2011
Visit site
Download HTC's sync software. It will sync calendar and contacts for sure, I did it. I don't know about notes and tasks I don't use them.

Bakerboy2253

Feb 11, 2011
Visit site
Had a buddy use corporate sync and said it worked well. I am on the fence to get any droid since I need outlook to function everything, email, task, notes, calendar, contact, etc.
No one here or other forums have said the droids or apps work as good a the blackberry for outlook. Unfortunately I need it to fully operate for work. I would love the thunderbolt, but only a few of us must use these things with outlook for business.

Shame everything else seems to be great!

itsdollar

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site
Try Touchdown. Emails, Contacts, Tasks, all folders in Outlook can sync as well. I don't sync contacts but everything else works really well. You can also lower or raise the polling time.

larryg

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
Download HTC's sync software. It will sync calendar and contacts for sure, I did it. I don't know about notes and tasks I don't use them.

I spoke with HTC directly, it only does contacts and calendar. For anyone elses info, they also noted you need to have outlook closed to sync and they don't support 64 bit yet. And they also suggested you download the latest from their website and not use the one that came....if it did per the verizon manual...on the simm card

larryg

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
Try Touchdown. Emails, Contacts, Tasks, all folders in Outlook can sync as well. I don't sync contacts but everything else works really well. You can also lower or raise the polling time.

but from everything I see of Touchdown, you need an exchange server...and if I had that, don't need touchdown. Did I miss something?

companionlink

Feb 9, 2010
www.companionlink.com
so my first android, comming from windows mobile, we had a very simple ms windows mobile sync that was fairly elegant, was able to fully sync contacts, appointments, tasks and notes. Tried companion link, seems it works through deja office so for example your calendar items are not in the native andoid calendar but in a deja calendar app. same for notes, tasks etc. Markspace seems to work the same way. Wondering if anyone out there with a pop/imap account and outlook has any suggestions.

Hi larryg,

DejaOffice actually includes an option that will allow you to populate and sync with the native Android contacts and calendar. You can enable this under DejaOffice Settings > Sync Settings. Because Android has no native apps for tasks and notes, those will only sync with DejaOffice. Hope this helps!

-CompanionLink Software

Aug 23, 2010
Visit site
CompanionLink is a good solution. I use it and it does sync native calendar and contacts to DejaOffice when configured correctly. If you want more solutions, you can go to www.syncdroid.net where you will find a lengthy chart listing most Outlook to Thunderbolt (Android) sync solutions. It lists the software, what it syncs (calendar, contacts, notes, tasks), how it syncs (USB, Wi-Fi, wireless, Bluetooth), the price (many free) and more. There is also a review of each software, including CompanionLink with a lot of screenshots of its options. Cheers!

larryg

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
Hi larryg,

DejaOffice actually includes an option that will allow you to populate and sync with the native Android contacts and calendar. You can enable this under DejaOffice Settings > Sync Settings. Because Android has no native apps for tasks and notes, those will only sync with DejaOffice. Hope this helps!

-CompanionLink Software

Well I've been playing with companion link, seems to be working fine, then all of a sudden, I had duplicate calendar items in my android app (not in deja office calendar). So I called companion link, person in tech said to just do a sync on the calendar, uncheck everything else, and force a purge/reload. So I did, and duplicates were gone. Next sync, they were back. So I called companion link a 2nd time, this time i was told it was a know problem. Very confused and a little upset that within 1 hour I'm given two differnt respnoses from the same company.

FrankXS

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
Well I've been playing with companion link, seems to be working fine, then all of a sudden, I had duplicate calendar items in my android app (not in deja office calendar). So I called companion link, person in tech said to just do a sync on the calendar, uncheck everything else, and force a purge/reload. So I did, and duplicates were gone. Next sync, they were back. So I called companion link a 2nd time, this time i was told it was a know problem. Very confused and a little upset that within 1 hour I'm given two differnt respnoses from the same company.
1) +1 for quick and responsive customer support.
2) -1 for a "known issue" of such obviously rudimentary functionality. How could they have missed this?

-Frank

xrated

Feb 26, 2011
Visit site
larryg wrote:
I spoke with HTC directly, it only does contacts and calendar. For anyone elses info, they also noted you need to have outlook closed to sync and they don't support 64 bit yet. And they also suggested you download the latest from their website and not use the one that came....if it did per the verizon manual...on the simm card

I'm not sure where who at HTC that you got your information from, but I've been running Windows 7 Professional...64 bit for a little over a year now and when I got the T.B., I used the HTC Sync software to sync my Outlook stuff to the TB.

sf2

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
larryg wrote:

I'm not sure where who at HTC that you got your information from, but I've been running Windows 7 Professional...64 bit for a little over a year now and when I got the T.B., I used the HTC Sync software to sync my Outlook stuff to the TB.

Maybe they mean the 64 bit version of office? Also running Win 7 64 bit but the 32 bit version of office 2010 for compatibility issues with other software.

blackberryconvert2011

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
Gsyncit

I tried companionlink and dejaoffice - it was too complicated/ cumbersome for me. I switched to gsyncit (for $20). Its not as smooth as I would like, but it works (for tasks, calendar). For "notes" I use gdocs...again, not as smooth and pretty as the Blackberry, but it works.

Aug 23, 2010
Visit site
OK, some confusion has entered this thread, so I went to the HTC site and here is the scoop from HTC. These are the software requirements for HTC Sync:

Windows 7 Ultimate/ Professional/ Home Premium / Home Basic Edition (32 & 64-Bit)
Microsoft Office Outlook 2000, XP, 2003, 2007 and 2010-32bit.​

So, 64 Bit OPERATING SYSTEMS are supported by HTC Sync, but 32 Bit OUTLOOK is not supported.

Next, HTC sync, while it may work for a lot of people's needs, does not sync Tasks and Notes. The original post asked for a "complete sync". So, HTC sync is out.

Finally, some people kindly offered suggestions of Touchdown and the built in Corporate sync, but those are for use with Exchange and the original post specifically said "No exchange server". So those solutions are out.

To be very specific, I went to www.syncdroid.net and looked up the answer in their chart. Your options are: Companionlink, VCOrganizer Pro, The Missing Sync, gSyncit, and Mylink Advanced.

I personally use CompanionLink for events and contacts, but I also use VCOrganizer to sync my Notes because they are ENCRYPTED on my Android. No other product actually encrypts the notes. Notes are always sitting on the SD card for anyone to walk away with in a bad situation, so encryption is your friend.

Hope this helps out. Cheers!

Mortiel

Mar 10, 2011
Visit site
Am I the only person that uses Google App Sync?

Google App Sync

Its a 2-way sync between Outlook and Gmail entirely from your computer. Gmail syncs to your Android phone, and thus what is on your Outlook. This does email, contacts, and calendar. Best of all... because its a sync, the older of two calendar appointment duplicates is deleted.

Jo5329

Jul 21, 2011
Visit site
HTC Sync worked the first time after purchasing my TB and has failed since. It won't connect, keeps telling me the phone isn't there, etc. I gave up.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dumpsterrentals38