How do I Kill apps

Patsox

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
I have used a task killer on my old eris, and I am now seeing that is not recommended. What should I use to close open apps?

ShaggyKids

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
Ok but HOW does one let the OS do this or set it to do this or whatever? Where do we go in the settings to make this happen?

Thanks for asking this, Patsox I was wondering the same thing but have to many other things to get done on this phone, this was last on my list but I'll gladly move it up with good instructions :)

ls377

Aug 6, 2010
Visit site
"advance task killer" one click and BOOM!

www.nooooooooooooooo.com

I have used a task killer on my old eris, and I am now seeing that is not recommended. What should I use to close open apps?

The Eris probably needed this, being an older phone. The newer phones can do it on there own.

Ok but HOW does one let the OS do this or set it to do this or whatever? Where do we go in the settings to make this happen?

Thanks for asking this, Patsox I was wondering the same thing but have to many other things to get done on this phone, this was last on my list but I'll gladly move it up with good instructions :)

tell us how then sir! :(

Just let it be. The OS knows when to kill apps if it needs space. Apps in the background are likely not doing anything, so they don't take up resources. The TB is an advanced enough of phone that you won't even notice having Angry Birds sitting in the memory.

If an app absolutely need to be killed, then you can go to settings>applications>manage applications and force stop the app. Don't kill anything unless you know you NEED to.

Reactions: Steegs80 and Chrisy

mclarryjr

Retired Moderator
Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
The Android OS does and outstanding job managing your task so you don't need to worry about it. Most of theses apps are running in the background and using very little resources if any. When the OS needs more memory for another program it will close apps in the background to make the space.

The developer of ATK has said and Android phone running Froyo or higher doesn't need to run ATK.

If you do decide you want to try using a task killer you need to make sure its set up correctly or you will do much more harm then good. Here is a great write up explaining the how to properly use ATK.

Reactions: Chrisy

fatboy97

Aug 10, 2010
Visit site
tell us how then sir! :(

Leave it alone... close your apps by using the Home button, or the Return button... back out and let the OS deal with the app. It will close the app when it needs to... it can handle the task. There are ways of killing the processes within the OS that are built into the OS... but the effort of doing this will take more battery power to close the app than letting the OS take care of it itself.

So, just let the OS do what it's suppose to do... and don't worry about it. :D

And just enjoy your device. :cool:

superlawyer15

Feb 14, 2011
Visit site
honestly I dont believe in this whole "leave it to froyo" thing..

...my phone gets insanely laggy and I have to go in and kill running programs

i wish there was a way to turn off froyo's so called built in memory manager and just manage running apps myself threw advanced task killer

shaddix

Jan 7, 2011
Visit site
Yeah you have to have some way to manually kill tasks.

Have you guys even tried using slacker on the TB? Freezes, lags, it will screw up your whole phone, everything unresponsive until you kill it manually. Pandora will do the same thing but not as bad at least.

d1ez3

Mar 14, 2011
Visit site
honestly I dont believe in this whole "leave it to froyo" thing..

...my phone gets insanely laggy and I have to go in and kill running programs

i wish there was a way to turn off froyo's so called built in memory manager and just manage running apps myself threw advanced task killer

yeah I feel my phone runs faster when I 'Kill All' everything speeds up after that

mclarryjr

Retired Moderator
Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
yeah I feel my phone runs faster when I 'Kill All' everything speeds up after that

But after you kill them all your OS will start them again so in the long run you will be using more resources and killing your battery.

The best app I have found to give you a true list of running apps is system panel. The list ATK is not very accurate it will list apps that are running in the background and not using any resources as an active app.

I have never killed any apps since having the phone and have never had any lag. If you have lag you may want to look at your third party apps and how often you have your apps syncing.

Bolt_of_Thunder

Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
I was looking through the Applications forum of this website and came across this new app, Active App/Task Manager

What do you all think? It's similar to the task manager on Samsungs. My lady has a fascinate and before I rooted it I liked the samsung widget that showed you how many apps were running and if any were still using cpu. This app seems to do the same thing. I just downloaded it on my tbolt to test it out.

ls377

Aug 6, 2010
Visit site
I was looking through the Applications forum of this website and came across this new app, Active App/Task Manager

What do you all think? It's similar to the task manager on Samsungs. My lady has a fascinate and before I rooted it I liked the samsung widget that showed you how many apps were running and if any were still using cpu. This app seems to do the same thing. I just downloaded it on my tbolt to test it out.

The Samsung task manager is great. This looks like a mix between that and System Panel, so I think this would be ok to use.

Kill All is killing stuff you don't want killed. Like mclarryjr said, the apps restart on their own. Maybe that's what causes your lag.

fatboy97

Aug 10, 2010
Visit site
But after you kill them all your OS will start them again so in the long run you will be using more resources and killing your battery.

The best app I have found to give you a true list of running apps is system panel. The list ATK is not very accurate it will list apps that are running in the background and not using any resources as an active app.

I have never killed any apps since having the phone and have never had any lag. If you have lag you may want to look at your third party apps and how often you have your apps syncing.

+1... exactly... I don't have lag, and never used a task killer ever... I know what apps I have running on my device and how often they run if they run in the background.

FrankXS

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
Although I can certainly appreciate that Froyo has a handle on this, I still have to ask... why didn't it handle the Blockbuster app?

-Frank

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
if killing all your apps is reducing lag then you need start to re-evaluate your apps, one of them may have bad code... If a bank robber is holding up a bank with hostages, do you burn the whole building?

@FrankXS , some apps share system resources so some apps will open on their own because its sharing a resource

Just because an app is open doesnt mean it is running. the blockbuster app is not renting movies for you in the background and playing them.

Some apps may run in the background such as apps that use GPS such as navi, these apps have built in exit buttons, goog nav has an exit if you hit the menu button...music players are stopped by hitting pause, they will stay in a state of suspension till open and start them again.
things like pandora runs in the background, if you pause it and close it you are good its not running.

I understand that we are use to the idea that we need to close everything but this is running under the assumption that everything is equal. But if everything was equal in this world we would all be running around with pictures of fruit on the back of our phones

mclarryjr

Retired Moderator
Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
Although I can certainly appreciate that Froyo has a handle on this, I still have to ask... why didn't it handle the Blockbuster app?

-Frank

It wasn't programed to kill any task so if you install a third party app of HTC app have it update every 30 minutes your battery will suffer. All you need to do is limit the amount of times update or sync to save battery life.

I understand you guys have doubts that the OS will not handle your apps the way you would like but trust me that it will do much better job then you or I could. This is my 3rd Android device and only the first month on my OG Droid did I ever have ATK and once I learned that is wasn't needed did I remove it. I came from BB and Windows phone which needed ATK to survive just remember your Thunderbolt is nothing like those other devices.