Help Me Find My Battery Eater

want a droid

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
I unplugged my phone at 100% charge around 230am, woke up around 1015am with literally 50% left. I had WiFi on the entire night (strong signal).

Unplugged 7h 39m
Cell standby 30%
Phone idle 29%
WiFi 16%
Android OS 8%
Maps 7%
Android system 7%
Display 2%

I've stopped blockbuster, removed city id. My only widget is the clock/weather widget set to update every 2 hours (hence maps).

Auto-Sync off, Facebook/twitter updates off.

Looking at my battery history under partial wake usage there is nothing abnormal. What could possibly be killing my battery so much?

I'm really looking for some help here guys.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

dhendriksen

Android Addict
Feb 25, 2011
Visit site
I have no clue unfortunately. That's wild. I unplugged mine yesterday about 6:50AM and got the 15% warning at about 9:45PM. I had WiFi on all day, but was only connected about half the time (the other times I was away from home but didn't turn the WiFi off). I have five email accounts plus gmail. One is Exchange that is set to push, thee others check email every 30 minutes. Gmail is set to push. Facebook updates every four hours, and my RSS feeds (5 of them) update every hour. My weather click updates every two hours, and GPS is turned on.

Throughout the day I talked for about 30 or 45 minutes, sent/received about 20 text messages and browsed the web for probably two hours collectively. I also sent a few emails and downloaded a couple apps.

I did do a bump charge the second day I had my phone. This phone has WAY better battery life than my original Droid or Droid X did, but in all fairness I do have this screen at 25% brightness unless I'm outside. My X was on auto brightness.

anon(2632)

Nov 7, 2009
Visit site
I have the clock/weather widget also, but my battery info doesn't even have maps listed. When I check my sync settings on the clock/weather, there is not a 2 hour interval. Are you using the Sense widget?
My cell standby is only 7%. My display is 57% because i played with a lot of stuff yesterday.

want a droid

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
I have the clock/weather widget also, but my battery info doesn't even have maps listed. When I check my sync settings on the clock/weather, there is not a 2 hour interval. Are you using the Sense widget?
My cell standby is only 7%. My display is 57% because i played with a lot of stuff yesterday.

Correction my weather updates every hour. With that the Maps in use time was less than 2 minutes.

ThomasT626

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
The clock and weather widget should have nothing to do with maps, so that should not even be listed. Make sure your GPS is off. Open the Maps app, then back out of it entirely using the back button (don't just press home).

There's also a great app called System Panel and if you buy, you can enable a monitoring feature that tracks your battery life and top used apps. It also graphs out your usage. Very helpful in determining what's going on with your battery while it's idle.

AstroStrat89

Mar 24, 2011
Visit site
Wow, that is a tough one. It would be nice to get deeper into "Cell standby" and "Phone idle". I mean the actual percentages are not really that off, it's just that you've had 50% battery drain.

I would say that if you get that consistently it's worth taking back.

mclarryjr

Retired Moderator
Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
I'll second System Panel, using it will help you find your problem. Why not just leave your phone plugged in all night? I know that won't solve your issue but at least you start your day with a full charge.

want a droid

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
I'll second System Panel, using it will help you find your problem. Why not just leave your phone plugged in all night? I know that won't solve your issue but at least you start your day with a full charge.

I always do, but in the week+some I've had the phone I haven't left it for an extended period of time. I was curious how much idle battery I'd lose so last night I charged to full, unplugged, woke up and half my battery was gone :/

mclarryjr

Retired Moderator
Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
That makes sense, I would still try System Panel if I were you because you have something wrong. The other day I was working indoors with a weak 3G signal for 6 hours after I checked my phone and it was in the 90 still.

ThomasT626

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
Also, make sure you have no icons showing in the left portion of the notification bar. Last week I had two, and they were actively running while my phone was idle and my battery did the same thing. Deleted one of the apps and now everything is great.

Keep in mind if you buy the System Panel app and activate the system monitoring feature that you will have an icon shown for that because it will be actively running. But that should be the only thing.

want a droid

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
I don't have anything running. I just bought system panel. I'll run it the next couple days and hopefully find what could possibly drain it so fast.

KoukiFC3S

Oct 9, 2009
Visit site
Try spare parts too. It'll tell you which apps use the most CPU, data, etc.

Also make sure your phone is sleeping when your display is off. Overnight the awake time should be very low.

mfancy

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
Today I took my phone off the charger at 7:40am. By 11am I was down to 43%. Had only used my phone for one 3 minute phone call. And my phone is on the charger once again. I've had WiFi running since 11am and my phone is down to 37% now. No idea what is going on.

Yesterday I used WiFi and my phone lasted all day and still had 35% after being unplugged for 12hrs. But today, I've barely used it and its dying faster than it has since I've had it. No idea what's causing. I have nothing synced.