Bought a spare battery

KSChris

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
I bought a spare battery.. is there anything I should be doing with it? Someone told me it's good to switch the batteries around every now and then if you have a spare, or it'll go bad or something.. is that right?

Mike_is_Mike

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site
I bought a spare battery.. is there anything I should be doing with it? Someone told me it's good to switch the batteries around every now and then if you have a spare, or it'll go bad or something.. is that right?

If that were true, there would be warehouses full of "bad" batteries. :D

To answer your question - no, I don't think it will go "bad."

But why do you have a spare battery if you are NOT going swap them?

Ideally, if you have a spare battery, you would also have a way to charge the spare while not in the phone. Other wise, you'd be swapping out one dead battery for another dead battery.

mclarryjr

Retired Moderator
Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
Hopefully we will see an external battery charger soon. I had a Seidio charger for the Incredible and it was nice to have one fully charged all the time.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

ThomasT626

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
I read that the desktop dock is supposed to be able to charge an extra battery at the same time it's charging the phone, including the extended battery. Haven't seen a release date for it though.

Valkem

Mar 28, 2011
Visit site
Would buy one

I read that the desktop dock is supposed to be able to charge an extra battery at the same time it's charging the phone, including the extended battery. Haven't seen a release date for it though.

That would be pretty nice. That's the one thing I miss about my old phone, it came with a spare battery and charging case. i was pretty spoiled.

FrankXS

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
Won't This one work for it? It says it's for the TBolt and it can also charge your phone at the same time.

Nope. See on-line chat with Seidio below...

-----------------
Please wait for the next available representative…
Customer83: *** Accepted the Chat ***
Katrina: Hello! Thank you for contacting Seidio Online! How can I help you today?
Customer83: Will the Multi-Function external Battery Charger (seidioonline.com) work for the HTC ThunderBolt's standard and HTC 2750mAh Extended battery?
Katrina: No we do not have the multifunction battery charger for that device at the moment.
Customer83: Ah... okay, thank you. Just checking. You might want to fix it so that it does not come up under a search for ThunderBolt. Again, thanks. -Frank
Katrina: You're welcome. Thank you for contacting live chat and have a great day!
Katrina: *** Left the conversation ***
-----------------

-Frank

RetiredJedi

Jul 13, 2010
jedi-soljah.iwarp.com

-----------------
Please wait for the next available representative?
Katrina: Hello! Thank you for contacting Seidio Online! How can I help you today?
Customer83: Will the Multi-Function external Battery Charger (seidioonline.com) work for the HTC ThunderBolt's standard and HTC 2750mAh Extended battery?
Katrina: No we do not have the multifunction battery charger for that device at the moment.
Customer83: Ah... okay, thank you. Just checking. You might want to fix it so that it does not come up under a search for ThunderBolt. Again, thanks. -Frank
Katrina: You're welcome. Thank you for contacting live chat and have a great day!
-----------------

-Frank

Thanks for that. They need to update their web site then.

Mike_is_Mike

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site

-----------------
-----------------

-Frank

Odd. I just had THIS chat with them:

mike: Will this charger work for the HTC Thunderbolt?
You are next in queue. We will be with you in just a moment.
mike:
mike: Multi-Function Battery Charger Product Code: BD3-BCSI3HTMEC-BK
Rebecca: Hello! Thank you for contacting Seidio Online! How can I help you today?
Rebecca: Yes that product will work with the Thunderbolt.
mike: Thank you.

KSChris

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
If that were true, there would be warehouses full of "bad" batteries. :D

To answer your question - no, I don't think it will go "bad."

But why do you have a spare battery if you are NOT going swap them?

Ideally, if you have a spare battery, you would also have a way to charge the spare while not in the phone. Other wise, you'd be swapping out one dead battery for another dead battery.

No reason at the moment, but I when I go on vacation over the summer I will be using the phone very heavily with pictures and video and posting pics and videos to facebook and such, and I will only be able to charge it overnight each day. I want to make sure I have a backup just incase one battery dies.

Thought about just getting the extended battery, but I can't deal with that huge bulge on the back of the case.

RetiredJedi

Jul 13, 2010
jedi-soljah.iwarp.com
This may sound like a dumb question(s) but, oh well. If I bought an extended battery, charged it up and didn't use it for like 4 months, other than regular battery drain from sitting around will anything happen to it? What happens to these things if they sit for long periods of time? I mean should you really use them every once in a while?

KSChris

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
This may sound like a dumb question(s) but, oh well. If I bought an extended battery, charged it up and didn't use it for like 4 months, other than regular battery drain from sitting around will anything happen to it? What happens to these things if they sit for long periods of time? I mean should you really use them every once in a while?

This is basically what I was getting it in the OP as well.

Rem

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site

From greenbatteries.com:

What is the best way to store Lithium Ion batteries?

Lithium-ion batteries can hold a charge for many months. It is best to store a lithium-ion battery with a partial or full charge. Occasionally, a lithium-ion battery with a very low charge is stored for a long period of time (many months) and its voltage slowly drops to below the level at which its built in safety mechanism allows it to be charged again. If the battery is going to be stored for several months it's a good idea to take it out and recharge it after a few months. Better yet would be to actually use the battery every few months and then leave it partially or fully charged.

Hope this helps? :)