Swype...Install

amotter

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
OK...I have been trying to follow all the posts...and I see that there is a problem with Swype...and that some people are saying it should be installed a certain way. Wife and I are new to Android, want Swype, and have not downloaded yet because I am in charge of making it work right and I dont know what to do. So...........

1. What is the best way to download it? From the computer? From the Market?

2. What do I get...Beta version, etc?

3. What exactly is the problem people keep talking about and what is the deal...some say the fix works and some do not?

Thanks everyone....

FutureTBoltOwner

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
I tried the beta version from the website but it gave me too many problems, so I did what was suggested by many download the evo version of swype ... worked like a charm, been using for the past 3 days with 0 complaints find it here:

New Version of Swype for HTC Evo | Market 4 Android

theres 3 or 4 different ways you can use to install it, I did the gmail way because it seemed the easiest (although the astro file manager way seems fairly easy as well if you prefer that method)

Also forgot to make it fully functional you must
1. go to settings - language and keyboard (or whatever it is) - and put the check mark in the swype box
2. open a new text message, long press on the entry field, select input method and choose swype

Last edited:

sdhakko

Mar 5, 2011
Visit site
@ FutureTBoltOwner - Installing this version swype auto spaces and auto capitalizes using the default texting app?

FutureTBoltOwner

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
@ FutureTBoltOwner - Installing this version swype auto spaces and auto capitalizes using the default texting app?

I don't understand you question with regards to the default texting app part ....

But this version of swype does auto space and auto capitalize when using the swype keyboard if that helps answer your question

Edit - think I maybe understand your default texting app question ... are you asking if I just open up the default text messaging service that comes stock with the phone will it auto space and capitalize ... if thats what you meant then yes it does do that, just be aware that it changes the look of the keyboard, it's similar but a different color and just a slight bit differently shaped around the letters but plenty acceptable for a keyboard

JManangan

Jan 28, 2011
www.johnmanangan.com
^^^^^^^

100% Use the one from FutureTBoltOwner. Swype for the EVO. Been using it since d-day of the TB and with ZERO problems. Just download it to your computer, email it to your phone.

Make sure that in the Settings>Applications you check mark Unknown Sources, so you can side load that .apk file you emailed your self.

Then go to your email and DL it. Then it should ask you to install it. Then follow FutureTboltowners instructions.

You can also try: Astro File Manager to install (its free) just transfer it to the phone SD card from the computer (or email) and use Astro to navigate to the Downloads folder on the SD card.

fatboy97

Aug 10, 2010
Visit site
The main problem that I've had with the BETA version of Swype currently available through their website is that it does not Auto-Capitalize and Auto-Space between words using the SMS/MMS application that comes with the Thunderbolt. However, I've been told that the current BETA version will work with 3rd party SMS/MMS apps like Handcent. I have not verified that yet because I download the EVO version posted above.

I recently did start using Handcent, but have not download the current BETA version to test.

fatboy97

Aug 10, 2010
Visit site
OK i got it...thanks guys...very cool. UMMMM how do you get the space bar to work?

The space bar on Swype works just fine as is... it however, like I stated above, does have a problem Auto-Spacing between words... at least the current BETA version does, not the EVO version (with the link posted above).

Cenzo

Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
The main problem that I've had with the BETA version of Swype currently available through their website is that it does not Auto-Capitalize and Auto-Space between words using the SMS/MMS application that comes with the Thunderbolt. However, I've been told that the current BETA version will work with 3rd party SMS/MMS apps like Handcent. I have not verified that yet because I download the EVO version posted above.

I recently did start using Handcent, but have not download the current BETA version to test.

Handcent auto spaces and auto capitalizes. But the new firefox does not and the stock sms app does not.

nutty

Feb 9, 2011
Visit site
I downloaded swype from their website. You have to register first, then they send you a link to download.

The only problem I have had with swype is the autospace in the text messages. I use Handcent without any issue. However, I have noticed that when I use handcent and I receive a text message, it sends it to me through handcent and also the stock messaging app. So I get each text message twice. Annoying.

fatboy97

Aug 10, 2010
Visit site
Handcent auto spaces and auto capitalizes. But the new firefox does not and the stock sms app does not.

I think that is what I said about Handcent already... but I wouldn't want auto space or auto capitalization in firefox when I was typing a URL.

fatboy97

Aug 10, 2010
Visit site
I downloaded swype from their website. You have to register first, then they send you a link to download.

The only problem I have had with swype is the autospace in the text messages. I use Handcent without any issue. However, I have noticed that when I use handcent and I receive a text message, it sends it to me through handcent and also the stock messaging app. So I get each text message twice. Annoying.

How to make handcent sms to my default sms software?

JManangan

Jan 28, 2011
www.johnmanangan.com
Please use the Swype for evo via the link provided below the OP. Its an older version of the beta for the EVO 4g but it works flawlessly with the thunderbolt.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

shellguy05

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site
I am having a problem with downloading the file. I am guessing it could be because I am at work. But I download it, its a .zip file. Then when I try to email it to my gmail account my work email tells me the file is too big and to delete messages from my folder. Anyone else get this?

fatboy97

Aug 10, 2010
Visit site
I am having a problem with downloading the file. I am guessing it could be because I am at work. But I download it, its a .zip file. Then when I try to email it to my gmail account my work email tells me the file is too big and to delete messages from my folder. Anyone else get this?

The file is NOT a .zip file... it is a .apk file... you need to the Swype_1.60.36.8214_WVGA.apk file and email it yourself... follow the instructions from the link in Post #2 - Install Via Gmail ? NEW!

shellguy05

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site
Nevermind. I sent it from my yahoo and it went through to my gmail. But all I had next to it was "preview file" I hit that and it was like loading for about 45 sec or so. Then it stopped. and now it does nothing. I mean I can use my phone fine, but that email doesnt do anything. no install button no anything else. I hit preview and it looks like it loads for a half a sec and then disappears like its done?

shellguy05

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site
The file is NOT a .zip file... it is a .apk file... you need to the Swype_1.60.36.8214_WVGA.apk file and email it yourself... follow the instructions from the link in Post #2 - Install Via Gmail ? NEW!

That is exactly where I did download it from. I will try to redownload and see if I can get it to work. Thanks!