Dead battery with 7hrs NO use at all.

anonymous239411

Nov 12, 2010
Visit site
I ended up getting to work 45 mins late today, because my phone died and alarm didn't go off. For the first time, I left my phone off charge because I had a full battery at 11pm. I have done this before leaving the phone off charge with a full battery and would only see maybe a 8% drop if that. Unfortunately there is no way I can now go back and see what was using up that battery power. It had to be an app that didn't close.

I think android needs to be revamped in the way that instead of showing recent apps, show the recent and currently still running apps (like blackberry has). I don't believe that some apps are closing when the phone sleeps or after a period of inactivity.

It took 7 hours for this battery to die out with NO USE at all (I was asleep). Yet I could average 14hrs (since last unplugged) on some days using the phone very minimally. So it is definitely obvious here that there was something running in the background. Now could I use the running tab under applications to check this, well yes and no. For one every little thing is on the running list with android, and 2 thats just a little too much extra work, to do a quick shut down of what you may have been recently using. Blackberry was easy hold menu highlight app press and hold the back key until the screen cleared. The app was force closed.

I love the android os, but I'm unfortunately still too new to it, that I should have went to that list to see if there was anything running that I should close (I was playing air traffic control before bed) and I did use the back key, but maybe next time I'll have to use the game menus to exit.

fatboy97

Aug 10, 2010
Visit site
So, do we need to know what apps you have pulling data, and how often you have the refresh rate set to??? Some things like Weather, Facebook, Twitter, HTC's FriendStream, VCast, Slacker, Rhapsody, just to name a few. So many things can cause your battery to drain... but I guess you just want to blame the phone... go ahead... most of us have heard this over and over again.... even in the Blackberry forums about some Blackberry's!!!

anonymous239411

Nov 12, 2010
Visit site
So, do we need to know what apps you have pulling data, and how often you have the refresh rate set to??? Some things like Weather, Facebook, Twitter, HTC's FriendStream, VCast, Slacker, Rhapsody, just to name a few. So many things can cause your battery to drain... but I guess you just want to blame the phone... go ahead... most of us have heard this over and over again.... even in the Blackberry forums about some Blackberry's!!!

I'm not blaming anything. If anything this is just more of an informative post than any blame. I have weather, backup assistant, gmail all syncing to the phone and even with those sync I was able to leave my phone off charge over night and still had a full battery when I woke up.

My claim here is that users need to pay attention to the apps they are using, and then have to go back and make sure that they are closed out. Just like the example I gave with the air traffic control game, I was in a rush to get to bed I probably just used the back button to close it out. Maybe that app didnt completely shut down and that is what caused the battery to drain. I also claimed that maybe there should be a revamp of the recent apps list (and change that too recent running apps); or maybe there's an app that can be created for that.

tropper

Smarty Pants
Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Ok list your apps and sync rates, an we can help.
By the way android since 2.2 has been extremely efficient at handling apps in the back ground. The OS learns an order of importance and assigns them a value an sleeps whats not being used, and kills the oldest that is sleeping. So for the most part it is some sort of user error (ie. an app you installed, or a setting that could be changed) is most likely the reason.

VideoEngineerAJS

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
The way I have my phone set up right now, I only lose about 10-12% of my battery overnight. Now this is still not ideal, but I try to get 7-8 hours of sleep a night so you shouldn't be losing all of your battery in the same time period.

I always make sure my phone is fully or almost fully charged before I go to bed because the way I keep my phone if it is plugged in all night it overheats (as did my BlackBerry Storm if I kept it plugged in all night) and I have a charger at my desk at work and I keep it plugged in all day anyway.

So there is something pulling data that you may have missed.

anonymous239411

Nov 12, 2010
Visit site
Ok list your apps and sync rates, an we can help.
By the way android since 2.2 has been extremely efficient at handling apps in the back ground. The OS learns an order of importance and assigns them a value an sleeps whats not being used, and kills the oldest that is sleeping. So for the most part it is some sort of user error (ie. an app you installed, or a setting that could be changed) is most likely the reason.

Thing is if I were to re-start my phone, fully charged and leave it over night the next morning I still have a full battery. As a matter of fact I had turned off all connections (sync, wifi, gps) last night because I left it off the charger. Prior to falling asleep the apps used were android market, and air traffic control game I played before bed. To my knowledge I think I just hit the back button or the home button before putting my phone down for the night, I would assume one of these apps ran in the background all night and drained the battery.

It seemed like this was a freak thing, cause I too only loose about 8-12% (with all connections on) overnight not on the charger. By 4pm the battery would finally be drained, but thats using the phone throughout the day.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mboessen