Question Multiple Bluetooth Question

mboessen

May 12, 2024
Visit site
Hi, All:
Currently running a Samsung Galaxy Sol2. (I'm 71, and I don't like changing phones.) A while back the VA hospital replaced my hearing aids with Phonak Audeos. These can connect to my phone and it is WONDERFUL!! One of the problems with having bad hearing is phones. You can get hearing aids to help you talk to people, but unless you have "in the ear" hearing aids (mine are "behind the ear" they do not help you hear on the phone, so this is a great feature. HOWEVER, now my phone won't connect to my vehicle, because the bluetooth channel is already tied up with the hearing aids. The only solution I have found is, when I get in the car I have to turn off my hearing aids. Then the phone will connect to the vehicle.

So, what I need is either a phone that can do both things at once, or a phone that can automatically switch to the vehicle bluetooth when I get in. Everything I search on the internet about this wants to talk about sending audio from my phone to 2 things. My situation is different. I guess if I have to, I'll go for a new phone, but I don't want one of the huge things I see people carrying around. I have never used over 100 meg of data, so this is not a concern to me. I would like to have small and simple.

Can anyone enlighten me?

Thanks!

Mike

SyCoREAPER

Nov 12, 2013
Visit site
Hi, All:
Currently running a Samsung Galaxy Sol2. (I'm 71, and I don't like changing phones.) A while back the VA hospital replaced my hearing aids with Phonak Audeos. These can connect to my phone and it is WONDERFUL!! One of the problems with having bad hearing is phones. You can get hearing aids to help you talk to people, but unless you have "in the ear" hearing aids (mine are "behind the ear" they do not help you hear on the phone, so this is a great feature. HOWEVER, now my phone won't connect to my vehicle, because the bluetooth channel is already tied up with the hearing aids. The only solution I have found is, when I get in the car I have to turn off my hearing aids. Then the phone will connect to the vehicle.

So, what I need is either a phone that can do both things at once, or a phone that can automatically switch to the vehicle bluetooth when I get in. Everything I search on the internet about this wants to talk about sending audio from my phone to 2 things. My situation is different. I guess if I have to, I'll go for a new phone, but I don't want one of the huge things I see people carrying around. I have never used over 100 meg of data, so this is not a concern to me. I would like to have small and simple.

Can anyone enlighten me?

Thanks!

Mike
Some, especially older phones, only allow one concurrent BT connection. The only consistent/reliable albeit inconvient solution (and I'm not 100% it will work but you could try and return if not) is to get something like a Fiio BTR3 and connect both devices to it but you would need the Fiio always connected to your phone hanging out of the port.

Honestly, a new phone will be the lowest hassle method. Current phones almost always accept at least 2 concurrent BT connections of not more.

If you were to go the new phone route, what's important to you besides aforementioned connectivity? Pictures? Battery? Small/Big screen? Mixed use?
Price range?

Reactions: Laura Knotek

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Another workaround would be to go to the phone's Bluetooth menu when you enter your car, select your hearing aid, then tap Disconnect. Then go back to your Saved Device list and tap the car system. It's a hassle, but it should work (assuming the hearing aids don't try to automatically connect again and possibly kick the car system off).

mboessen

May 12, 2024
Visit site
Hi, All:

I tried to reply and got the following:

Your content can not be submitted. This is likely because your content is spam-like or contains inappropriate elements. Please change your content or try again later. If you still have problems, please contact an administrator.

I pasted the reply into a .txt document and attached it. Sorry for the inconvenience. I couldn't figure out what was wrong with it.

Attachments

• phone discussion.txt
    1.5 KB · Views: 4

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
The forum software sometimes automatically flags certain responses has possible spam, based on certain keywords or subjects. It can be puzzling sometimes -- it still happens on rare occasions to experienced forum members like me!

Here's the text of your response, for easier reference:

"Hi, B Diddy: That does work, but when I get out of the car it doesn't automatically switch back, and then I miss calls. I can't seem to remember to switch it back and forth.

SycoReaper: I read several things about this, one of them saying dual channel was not available on bluetooth 5.0 and I would have to wait for 5.2 to be implemented. Maybe that was old? Anyhow, if you can recommend an android phone that can do 2 Bluetooth channels, that would be AWESOME! I have 2 leather belt holsters that I made myself. My current phone measures 5 1/2 X 2 3/4. It would be cool if there was a phone that would fit these as they were a lot of work to make. It could be slightly larger, but not much. I'll make new ones if I have to, but I don't want one of the huge phones I see a lot of people carrying strapped to my belt on the golf course. I will miss the replaceable battery of the Sol2, but I know that is no longer an option. I use my phone mostly as a PDA for calendar/alarms. I do a little texting and an occasional phone call. I do run a weather app, and occasionally search for stuff, but I suck at it. I have never used over 100 meg of data. A very simple, small phone that can do the 2 BT channels will be fine. I would be very grateful if you can recommend something, as searching for a phone online becomes very intimidating for an old guy. A Samsung would be preferable, as the Samsung Switch feature is incredibly simple. I couldn't find one at Best Buy that matched my needs, though.
Thank you for the kindness of your time.
Best
Mike"

Unfortunately, my suggested workaround is clunky in that it requires you to remember to switch every time you get in and out of your car. :confused:

mboessen

May 12, 2024
Visit site
Hi, B. Diddy:
Well, you were able to post it.....(?) Why couldn't I? If it would tell me what the offending content was, I could edit it. I made several edits and it still wouldn't post. Anyhow, I'm hoping my new phone expert friend, SycoReaper can recommend something. I'm sure I'm like a lot of old folks who have to replace a phone, but I don't have any young friends/relatives who can help me pick one out. I'm glad I found this forum, where there are people who understand this stuff.
Best
Mike

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
It might also have to do with the fact that you're pretty much brand new to the forums. Sorry, I wish I had more insight into what the forum software looks for, because it can be frustrating for us too!

smvim

May 16, 2014
Visit site
I'm going to recommend that instead of wasting any more time and effort into trying to make this particular model of phone to do things is simply cannot do any longer, you buy a new or least newer phone. One that just works as is, not one you need to wrestle with all the time. Your Galaxy Sol 2 is a very dated phone, with a lot of hardware and software limitations that are beyond fixable.
This was a budget-class phone back in its day -- slow processor and only 1.5GB of RAM being just two limiting factors, and only made worse when functioning in today's technology. It's Android 7 operating system and for its time Bluetooth ver. 4.2 are significant drawbacks regarding the things you referred to in you initial posting.

Since you're more than just a casual consumer and use your smartphone more extensively, you do need to a bit more selective about finding a suitable replacement phone. Good, inherent Bluetooth support being a priority. Currently most of us are using phones with Bluetooth 5.x, which (coincidentally) allows for 5 concurrent Bluetooth connections. Seven for some of the newest flagship models. So depending on your budget for phones, look for reputable brand name models. Or at least for a quality mid-range phone.
Give some thought to an iPhone, Apple has devoted more resources into hearing aid compatibility. Android is trying to catch up, so it's not an either one or the other situation.
The gsmarena site has a handy phone search function that might help you find an appropriate replacement. Go here and fill in whatever options you want and do a search:

Laura Knotek

Moderator Captain
Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
I wear Starkey Genesis AI mRIC hearing aids. They are capable of connecting to my Samsung Galaxy S24 Ultra and also worked on my previous Samsung Galaxy S22 Ultra. I'm able to connect the phone Bluetooth to the head unit on my 2017 Honda Civic and music streams through the car speakers. I'm also able to make phone calls using the car speakers and mic. If I'm not in the car, my hearing aids are capable of using their mics and speakers, so I don't need to use the speakers and mic on the phone. One of the things I considered when getting a new phone and new hearing aids was that the devices work together.

mboessen

May 12, 2024
Visit site

Hi, smvim:​

Thanks for the thoughts! I think you are probably right that the Iphone is a better choice for me but for 2 things: 1: I'm 71. It is very difficult for me to learn a new phone, much less a whole new platform. Took me months to get this Sol2 where I could do much of anything on it. 2: Converting to Iphone will be pretty involved, porting contacts, finding comparable apple apps, who knows what all else. Samsung has the "Samsung Switch" where I can lay the 2 phones next to each other, launch that and 1/2 hour later my new phone has almost everything the same as my old one.

That said, Apple has a nice, medium phone that is the same size as mine, which is high on my list. I will take a look at your "phone finder" and see what I see. I was kind of hoping someone here would just say "here's one the same size that will do what you need" and I would buy it. Except for the Bluetooth limitation, and maybe the wifi calling thing that mine doesn't seem to do, the Sol2 suits me fine and I LOVE being able to just throw in a battery when I forget to charge it.

I live in the sticks. My phone doesn't work in my workshop. My friends come out here and their phone uses my wifi to get their calls, texts, and search the web, so I guess I need that wifi calling thing. Is it safe to assume that any new phone will be able to do that? When I am browsing for phones that doesn't get mentioned in the specs.

Again, thanks so much for your time to try to help. It is much appreciated.

Best

Mike

mboessen

May 12, 2024
Visit site
I wear Starkey Genesis AI mRIC hearing aids. They are capable of connecting to my Samsung Galaxy S24 Ultra and also worked on my previous Samsung Galaxy S22 Ultra. I'm able to connect the phone Bluetooth to the head unit on my 2017 Honda Civic and music streams through the car speakers. I'm also able to make phone calls using the car speakers and mic. If I'm not in the car, my hearing aids are capable of using their mics and speakers, so I don't need to use the speakers and mic on the phone. One of the things I considered when getting a new phone and new hearing aids was that the devices work together.
Hi, Laura:

Thanks! Yes, any phone I buy will have to work with my hearing aids. My Sol2 isn't great at it, but most of the time it works. Good to hear that Samsung has phones that will work with my Phonak Audeos. I know in my heart that smvim is right about the Iphone. I'm just frozen with fear at learning the new platform, and getting my stuff on it from the Android phone.

Thanks for the good referral. Now if only Samsung made a phone small enough....

Best

Mike

smvim

May 16, 2014
Visit site
I live in the sticks. My phone doesn't work in my workshop. My friends come out here and their phone uses my wifi to get their calls, texts, and search the web, so I guess I need that wifi calling thing. Is it safe to assume that any new phone will be able to do that? When I am browsing for phones that doesn't get mentioned in the specs.

Again, thanks so much for your time to try to help. It is much appreciated.

Best

Mike
WiFi Calling is more of a carrier feature than a phone feature. In its early days WiFi Calling was only available with some cellular carrier services, and it was something that a customer would have to enable/disable in their carrier account settings. Now, it's a more common feature that's just running in the background, If a user want's to disable it for some reason, they can typically do it using the phone's Settings menu or by logging into their cellular account settings. Your phone will receive and send phone calls if there is or is not WiFi Calling. Without it, all phone calls are done via cellular connectivity, with it than phone calls travel back and forth over your broadband connection (WiFi).
And in your instance, it has no relevance to Bluetooth. WiFi and cellular and Bluetooth are all very different from each other. They're all wireless networking standards, but use completely different frequencies.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Hi, B. Diddy:
Well, you were able to post it.....(?) Why couldn't I? If it would tell me what the offending content was, I could edit it. I made several edits and it still wouldn't post. Anyhow, I'm hoping my new phone expert friend, SycoReaper can recommend something. I'm sure I'm like a lot of old folks who have to replace a phone, but I don't have any young friends/relatives who can help me pick one out. I'm glad I found this forum, where there are people who understand this stuff.
Best
Mike
Welcome to AC!
Looks like the word phrase was "dating " that triggered it, that's possible because you're a new member and under the radar with the system.