WiFi Appears Active but Ceases to Transmit Data

ejweber

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
I have been having a serious issue with my home WiFi I'd like to get resolved. When the Thunderbolt first connects to my WiFi network, everything works great, and continues to work great as long as the phone is active. However, if I let it sit for an hour or so, I get no more data via WiFi. When this happens, the notifications bar continues to show an active WiFi connection and does not automatically switch to 3g. Is this a problem with my phone, my phone's settings, or my router?

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

ejweber

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
I had read in the forums that turning on "Improved WiFi Performance" could combat a similar issue, but this has not worked for me.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

fatboy97

Aug 10, 2010
Visit site
One good way of testing this is to go use someone else's router... coffee shop or some place that has free wifi might be a good place to try it out... if the issue is not there after you tried two or three other locations might be a good indication that it is time to get a new router (personally I prefer LinkSys, since I've only had one go bad and that was after a number of years of use). Routers can go bad.

paulmike3

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
It's a known problem with this device (and maybe others?). There's an app in the Market called WiFi Fixer that you can use to workaround the issue.

It basically tests the wifi connection every so often and if it can't ping an external site, it repairs the wifi connection. I've used it at home and it works pretty well at reconnecting the disconnections.

Hopefully HTC will fix this in the first OS update. Besides the inability to use less than 30mA when the phone is idle, this bug is one of the more annoying problems (to me anyways).