New To The Scene-Thunderbolt Questions

Apr 30, 2011
Visit site
Hi everyone, first time posting here, I am new to the thunderbolt community. I have NOT purchased this phone yet(I have the Verizon EnV phone, thinking about upgrading) but I have been on the fence about it and haven't made up my mind in regards to which phone I want. I was wondering since you have the phone, what do you think of the speakerphone, is it clear, can you hear people clearly when you talk on it? I live in Los Angeles so I dont know if the sound quality makes a difference by where your located..I was checking out the Droid Charge but its just too expensive and reminds me TOO Much of an iphone, which I don't want since I already have an Ipod Touch..I have the new every two 50 dollar credit so for me the phone would be 149 plus a RIDICULOUS 50 bucks in taxes since I live in Cali..I am going to talk to them about that maybe work something out because that is insane to have to pay that sales tax on the retail value of the phone. Anyways, let me know what you think of the phone, any issues, I know the battery life is not perfect but trust me, my EnV battery life is crap too so I can deal with that..overall are u happy with it..how about the screen, any issues with seeing everything, brightness, etc..Just want to get an idea if everyone here is happy with the Thunderbolt and if you recommend it. This would be my first Android device :) Thanks everyone!

FutureTBoltOwner

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
I came over from an Env Touch and needless to say the last few months were painful to say the least ... Overall I am completely happy with this phone, no regrets at all does so much more than my old phone and everything has been perfect for me so far. My speaker phone has worked fine and I have no volume issues with it at all, but some of the other people on here can't say the same thing unfortunately. The only issue I've had with the screen is that in direct sunlight you can't see it, which doesn't bother me too much since I dont use my phone all that much outdoors as it is, may depend on your use though. I've had little to no battery problems, only a bad day here and there but overall and quite happy, and once you learn how to tweak it correctly you should manage decent life (as a matter of fact my stock battery right now is on 20+ hours without being charged and still has 72% left since I've used it so little for the past day, very light use though). And if you feel you can't make a decision at least go to your local store and try out different phones

Apr 30, 2011
Visit site
So I guess it just depends on if I end up with a defective phone or not as far as the speakerphone is concerned..and with direct sunlight you can't see anything at all or it just gives off a glare like any phone would? I know I have read some say that the Samsung Droid Charge has a beautiful display but its just too much money and to me, looks more like an iphone with the little app keys, not worth the extra cash. If I Really like the Thunderbolt I would consider getting the extended battery for it but I have to see if I really like the phone. I tried it out last week at my local Verizon store and thought it looked really cool but I did not make a phone call with it, just played around with it(Since its my first Android I Really did not know what to look for LOL) As far as downloading Apps, I know that the internal battery is 8 gig so I can put 8 gigs of apps on it? Not like I would buy 8 gig worth of apps anyway but always good to know what my limit is, I Guess its kinda like the iphone right, you have a certain amount of storage and cant go over it. How is the picture quality on the phone, like taking pictures, videos? Is it pretty good? What apps do you recommend for the phone? Since I live in LA I was told that there is 4G service here depending on the area but if not no matter what I will still have reception on 3G so I dond lose anything? Thanks for all your help

Apr 30, 2011
Visit site
http://forum.androidcentral.com/htc-thunderbolt/65934-thunderbolt-first-impressions-reviews.html

Sweet phone. Nothing on VZW now or coming out in the next few months would make me trade.

Yeah the Incredible 2 didn't really impress me, besides it doesn't have 4G..as far as buying the phone, where is the best place to get it for the best price. Since I live in Cali, they charge the sales tax here from the retail value of the phone(Which I think is ridiculous) so instead of the phone being 149(With my new every 2 $50 dollar credit) the total would be 205 so basically Im not saving anything on it :(

fugazzi69

Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
Yeah the Incredible 2 didn't really impress me, besides it doesn't have 4G..as far as buying the phone, where is the best place to get it for the best price. Since I live in Cali, they charge the sales tax here from the retail value of the phone(Which I think is ridiculous) so instead of the phone being 149(With my new every 2 $50 dollar credit) the total would be 205 so basically Im not saving anything on it :(

Try the verizon kiosk inside Costco. If they have the TB available there, they will not charge tax on the full retail price, but rather the sales price. Makes a difference.

Apr 30, 2011
Visit site
Try the verizon kiosk inside Costco. If they have the TB available there, they will not charge tax on the full retail price, but rather the sales price. Makes a difference.

I will give them a call and see. I also saw that the LG Revolution will be available soon with the same price tag as the Thunderbolt..they are saying it will be released on May 25th not sure if thats true or not..and then there is the Droid Bionic, I don't know what to do..you think its just better to wait til next month to see if these phones do come out that way I can pick the best one. I dont know what is SO different about the LG Revolution compared to the Thunderbolt

Accrete

Mar 19, 2011
Visit site
Try the Verizon kiosk inside Costco. If they have the TB available there...
I work at a Costco location in Oregon. I know our location here does not have the Tbolt. My wife and i purchased our two from a Portland VZW store with the corp discount thrown in we were happy with the price. What i was told by the Verizon wireless reps was that best buy had some sort of 90 day exclusive, after that Costco wireless booths should see the Tbolt.

The first Verizon 4g LTE phone our location will receive will be the Samsung Droid Charge...they already have the signage and display units.

Reactions: huinoelle
Apr 30, 2011
Visit site
I work at a Costco location in Oregon. I know our location here does not have the Tbolt. My wife and i purchased our two from a Portland VZW store with the corp discount thrown in we were happy with the price. What i was told by the Verizon wireless reps was that best buy had some sort of 90 day exclusive, after that Costco wireless booths should see the Tbolt.

The first Verizon 4g LTE phone our location will receive will be the Samsung Droid Charge...they already have the signage and display units.

Yeah the Samsung Droid doesn't impress me that much, reminds me too much of an iphone and besides its WAY too expensive, I mean I would get it if it was worth it but just not sure. With your Thunderbolt, are you satisfied with the screen resolution, no issues with seeing everything? How about your speakerphone, any issues with not being able to hear the person? I guess I would have to get used to putting that thing to my ear since I am SO used to the EnV. The costco near me doesn't have the Thunderbolt, already called..but I am going to give Verizon a call, I don't think its right that I have been a customer of theirs for over 5 years yet I only get a 50 dollar credit, Ive heard of people getting $100 new every two credits, now that would make a world of difference especially since I have to pay the ridiculous retail price sales tax..wirefly doesn't charge that so the phone would be 179 but no sure if I should go through them or not since the monthly bill would be different for me(I get an 18 percent off school employee credit off my bill each month) and wirefly's total for my phone and plan doesn't reflect that so I wouldnt know if I would have to go through them or verizon so of course I prefer buying it from Verizon

douglaswilson

Dec 19, 2009
Visit site
Hi! I have the opportunity to go to Europe later this year and was wondering if the thunderbolt would work over there? I have an iPhone and am looking to replace it since it won't work over there. Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chrisy

Banned
Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Hi! I have the opportunity to go to Europe later this year and was wondering if the thunderbolt would work over there? I have an iPhone and am looking to replace it since it won't work over there. Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Thunderbolt isn't a world phone, and doesn't have a GSM radio.
Get the Droid Incredible 2 for overseas use as it's a world phone.

Verizon Droid Incredible 2 is a world phone with dual cameras

Droid Incredible 2 Forums

Last edited:

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Verizon rates are extremely pricey overseas, you can try to call Verizon and have them unlock your phone so you can use a local sim, or perhaps call and ask them first before buying a phone. I was able to do that on my other verizon world phones. If you don't unlock, then you can view their rates here:

voice:
Global Phone

Data
Global Data

btw, with regards to unlock, if the first csr tells you no, hang up and call again. i had to call 2 or 3 times before i could get a csr to do it for me.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dumpsterrentals38