OTA Should Be Live Now

Chilly818

Mar 3, 2011
Visit site
When I try to check for new update i have an error message saying "service unavailable" check update under settings when service is available... I do not get it? I'm home with wifi on and if not I have 4G status as service??

steve0617

Oct 31, 2010
Visit site
When I try to check for new update i have an error message saying "service unavailable" check update under settings when service is available... I do not get it? I'm home with wifi on and if not I have 4G status as service??

Check a 2nd time a few seconds after the first error. What happens is the update checker uses the mobile network, not Wifi. So if you're connected via WiFi, the mobile network has to login and connect. That takes a few seconds from a dead start, and the update checker times out before you complete your mobile data connection.

So, if you get the SERVICE UNAVAILABLE pop up, just check again. Then you should get the current 'No update available' that we all are.

Reactions: Cringey

LoD_Cin

Mar 10, 2011
Visit site

It might be a bad phone. I just got a replacement for a different reason (unable to find some apps in the market that other thunderbolts could) and my old phone had the exact same error when the Verizon tech team tried to update.

FrankXS

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
When I check for updates I get a message that says: "You've already checked 134 times for updates in the last hour. Get a life!".

-Frank

KarbonKopy

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
Check a 2nd time a few seconds after the first error. What happens is the update checker uses the mobile network, not Wifi. So if you're connected via WiFi, the mobile network has to login and connect. That takes a few seconds from a dead start, and the update checker times out before you complete your mobile data connection.

So, if you get the SERVICE UNAVAILABLE pop up, just check again. Then you should get the current 'No update available' that we all are.

I have the same issue, but it keeps coming up for some reason. /le sigh

Chilly818

Mar 3, 2011
Visit site
It might be a bad phone. I just got a replacement for a different reason (unable to find some apps in the market that other thunderbolts could) and my old phone had the exact same error when the Verizon tech team tried to update.

It used to work.....But now it doesn't....... hmm i will go to the store on my lunch.:(

Chilly818

Mar 3, 2011
Visit site

I took off wifi and I still get the error :( i even took my batt out :(

QUIK_LS1

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
Pushed not pulled

I was told by a VZW rep that the update we all are longing for is going to be pushed and cannot be pulled so checking for updates manually every hour on the hour (like I've been doing for the past couple days) won't make a difference. Supposedly it will be pushed out in my area (Cleveland market) today sometime but I'm still waiting.

Chilly818

Mar 3, 2011
Visit site
So, I'm on the phone with VZW rep and she said just like any Driod update it will be pushed automatically and it is based off your personal serial # .

So, no more checking for updates for me :'(

still got the "error" message but what shall I do? <~~~ This is due becuase it has not been pushed.