Thunderbolt Landscape Mode

JohnyLunchmeat

May 1, 2011
Visit site
Is there a way or an app (without rooting) to put the Thunderbolt in landscape mode? You know, auto rotate the phone into portrait or landscape.

JohnyLunchmeat

May 1, 2011
Visit site
I read that, my Droid X did it a few times as well but it wasn't perfect as the 3 icons at the bottom would get stuck off to the right side of the screen when it changed back to portrait.

It's no biggie I guess since it will most likely go into landscape while docked.

Dcpmark#AC

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
It's no biggie I guess since it will most likely go into landscape while docked.

Maybe not. It depends how the dock mode is triggered, and last I checked, no one could figure out what made the Thunderbolt rotate when docked. The Motorola docks used magnets, but AFAIK no one has been able to use magnets to make a thunderbolt rotate. The landscape dock I have doesn't rotate the home screens, but you can always use Launcher Pro or root and use a custom rom to rotate the home screens in landscape.

Dcpmark#AC

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
The car dock that Verizon sells puts the home screen in landscape mode.

Sent from my Thunderbolt

Yep, but no one seemed sure how it worked, and no one has taken one apart yet AFAIK. I'm sure the HTC multimedia dock will do the same......if it ever comes out. The third party landscape dock from HTCPedia I ordered did NOT put the home screens in landscape mode.

JohnyLunchmeat

May 1, 2011
Visit site
Maybe not. It depends how the dock mode is triggered, and last I checked, no one could figure out what made the Thunderbolt rotate when docked. The Motorola docks used magnets, but AFAIK no one has been able to use magnets to make a thunderbolt rotate. The landscape dock I have doesn't rotate the home screens, but you can always use Launcher Pro or root and use a custom rom to rotate the home screens in landscape.

I'm thinking it has something to do with the plug in the docks, who knows. Three android phones later and I'm still trying to figure out why there is no automatic landscape mode. I am going to check out launcher pro.

Sent from my Thunderbolt

Yes, I hate a phone in portrait while docked in the car. GPS is so much better in landscape mode imo.

Spiderbiter

May 2, 2011
Visit site

Sent from my Thunderbolt

Mine did not rotate to landscape while car docked. However, I read elsewhere how hard it was for people to attach and remove the phone from the dock.Perhaps mine was not fully seated on the dock ? because it was not difficult for me to do either. Also, I thought I read the phone was supposed to automatically go into nav mode when docked in the car, but that does not happen either ?

gcantrell

Oct 11, 2010
Visit site
Try switching to the GO launcher. Its in the market. There's a setting for the homescreen to go landscape. I don't know if you need to be rooted in order for it to actually work. I am rooted for what its worth.

EricWiz

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
Mine did not rotate to landscape while car docked. However, I read elsewhere how hard it was for people to attach and remove the phone from the dock.Perhaps mine was not fully seated on the dock ? because it was not difficult for me to do either. Also, I thought I read the phone was supposed to automatically go into nav mode when docked in the car, but that does not happen either ?

I think you probably didnt have it all the way in. I had the same issue plus I noticed the tbolt was not charging. So, when I put it in the cradle, I squeeze the top of the phone and the bottom of the dock where the plug is. The phone will for sure go into landscape at that point.

Another note on the dock, when you remove it after it is seated correctly, it 'clicks' out. Feels almost like it is breaking at the plug, but it's not. This is less noticable over time as well.

EDIT: Meant to mention Car Dock Ultra from the market. I use this now in the car and love it! There is a 30 day trial and if you keep it the license is 1.99. It shows MPH/KPH Compass heading and current temp/weather. Also has 3 panes that are customizable, which the sense dock is not. I highly recommend this.

Reactions: Spiderbiter

JohnyLunchmeat

May 1, 2011
Visit site
Just a quick update.........

I downloaded ADW Launcher from the market and it auto rotates like I wanted. I find it most useful when I'm driving and have the phone in the car dock. The only issue I've found is after I first downloaded it the phone dialer screen was in landscape but now has switched back to portrait when the phone is sideways.

Sent via tapatalk

krock2

Sep 11, 2010
Visit site
Lanscape Mode

You don't have to be rooted to use GO Launcher EX. Yes there is an option inside GO Launcher to set auto-rotate. I'm using this launcher right now and it is better than sense. There are many different themes you can add to the launcher. Try it you will be glad you did......