I think reboots are caused by 3g<->4g transition

Status
Not open for further replies.

rcpa

Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
I've had three reboots so far that I know about. Two happened while listening to podcasts, and the other happened sometime I wasn't using the phone. I know about the third one only because I have to re-generate the license for the Swype beta everytime I reboot my phone in order for the swyping to work.

I live in a 3g area and work in a 4g area. I listen to podcasts while driving to work and both of the reboots I witnessed happened on my drive into work at almost the same geographic location, which also happens to be approximately where the 4g signal becomes available. So I think the conditions that cause the reboot include switching between 3g and 4g.

Which would explain why some people are rebooting all the time and some people never get the reboots. Also, it correlates with the fact that the OTA included "fixes" for the 3g to 4g transition.

Chrisy

Banned
Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
I have reboots in a 3G only area. But speaking of...I haven't had a reboot for two days now. Odd. I was getting them quite a bit.

anon62607

Sep 23, 2010
Visit site
I've had three reboots so far that I know about. Two happened while listening to podcasts, and the other happened sometime I wasn't using the phone. I know about the third one only because I have to re-generate the license for the Swype beta everytime I reboot my phone in order for the swyping to work.

I live in a 3g area and work in a 4g area. I listen to podcasts while driving to work and both of the reboots I witnessed happened on my drive into work at almost the same geographic location, which also happens to be approximately where the 4g signal becomes available. So I think the conditions that cause the reboot include switching between 3g and 4g.

Which would explain why some people are rebooting all the time and some people never get the reboots. Also, it correlates with the fact that the OTA included "fixes" for the 3g to 4g transition.

I'm kind of suspecting this too, though I do also catch reboots at my apartment which is solidly in a 3G area. I wonder if 4G is being silently tested in my area (in Portland, Oregon) and now and then that somehow causes a crash.

Whatever the case, the thunderbolt seems awfully crash-reboot prone.

DevTin23

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
I get reboots also on a 3g only area. Was in 4g yesterday and it happened when I was going out of the area.

sent for my fantastic thunderbolt.

marcsledjeski

Apr 21, 2011
Visit site
I only get reboots every 3-4 days and I live in a 3G only area. Only one reboot (yesterday) was even close to 4G, I was in a 4G extended coverage area. Once rebooted, I continued into a 4G area with no problems. On my way driving out of the 4G/extended coverage area back into 3G, I had no problems.

CMRobinson

Jun 12, 2010
Visit site
I live in 3g only area, use WiFi almost exclusively at home and went a few data without a reboot. Then, while using double twist to listen to music.......reboot. I don't think anyone has this problem isolated yet.

Mortiel

Mar 10, 2011
Visit site
This is not a bad assumption, and logically makes sense. This also may be why there has been no fix as of yet. More or less the 3G/4G switching is also the same protocol that allows for simultaneous voice and data, eHRPD. It very well could be an issue with that since CDMA/EV-DO was deliberately not designed for voice/data multitasking in order to improve stability of each signal.

deed_i_do

Apr 22, 2011
Visit site
This is not a bad assumption, and logically makes sense. This also may be why there has been no fix as of yet. More or less the 3G/4G switching is also the same protocol that allows for simultaneous voice and data, eHRPD. It very well could be an issue with that since CDMA/EV-DO was deliberately not designed for voice/data multitasking in order to improve stability of each signal.

Ummm.... I thought the thunderbolt had an independent EVDO radio, and thats the reason it does voice and data at the same time. When eHRPD went down in my 3G only area I was still able to surf and talk. I wonder if the charge is dealing with the same reboots, if so then it has to be something with eHRPD or 4G. Manually set phone to Rev A instead of eHRPD, and I haven't seen a single reboot in 24 hours, I usually get one every 12 hours.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Mortiel

Mar 10, 2011
Visit site
Ummm.... I thought the thunderbolt had an independent EVDO radio, and thats the reason it does voice and data at the same time. When eHRPD went down in my 3G only area I was still able to surf and talk. I wonder if the charge is dealing with the same reboots, if so then it has to be something with eHRPD or 4G. Manually set phone to Rev A instead of eHRPD, and I haven't seen a single reboot in 24 hours, I usually get one every 12 hours.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

eHRPD is not a revision to EV-DO, like with Rev. 0 and Rev. A. It is a sideways technology added to towers, and to device radio chipsets to allow it. There has also been separate radios for world phones with CMDA/GSM, but even on GSM those phones could not multitask.

eHRPD (Enhanced High Rate Packet Data) is an addition to CDMA (which includes 2G and 3G) that enables LTE to CDMA/EV-DO to be used in concert. This allows for simultaneous voice and data use as a result, either on 3G or 4G. I have hear this function has been restricted on the Droid Charge to only allow it on 4G, BUT THAT IS JUST HEARSAY FROM ME!!!

motodunner

Nov 8, 2009
Visit site
I live in a 3G only area and have been having 3-6 reboots a day... But I went all day yesterday with no reboots, it was not till this morning around 7:20 that I had one. So maybe the outage was some sort of maintenance and it fixed something.

I can say with no reboots I really like this phone and my extended battery lasted all day too. It sucked how the battery would drop 10-25% on the reboots.

anon62607

Sep 23, 2010
Visit site
I had a crash in eastern North Carolina today while using google navigation, far away from any 4G and in fact on 1XRTT at the time.

It sucks when your phone reboots at random and the only thing it's doing is navigation.

my3chis

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
I can't say this is my reason for reboots. Ilive in a 3g area and the clostest 4g to me is 3 hours away. If I pull my battery every other day it seems to releave my issue right now.

liquidice

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
I don't think it is 3G to 4G or vice versa, I think it has to do with changing cell towers or transitioning from one radio to another. I have 4G turned off most of the time and had 2 crashes (did not turn back on) during Navigation, both times I was on the Car dock charging. Also had a crash while on the charger while the phone was just sitting there. Battery was above 80% when I plugged it in (wanted to top it off) and when I checked it, it was powered off.

I have noticed some weirdness after the OTA update of transitioning from WiFi to 3G and vice versa. I use Y5 Battery Saver to automatically turn WiFi on and off depending on the Cell tower I'm connected to and my WiFi connectivity has been really flaky -- in some cases where I had great WiFi connectivity, it drops to 3G, and WiFi doesn't always turn off reliably anymore like it used to.

Also had reboots when the phone was sitting in the cupholder doing nothing ... again 4G was off. These times the phone didn't crash - and not turn back on, it actually rebooted. I noticed because it was at night in the car and all of a sudden I saw the whiteness of the HTC boot screen.

Replacement phone is on the way -- hoping the new phone doesn't have the OTA update so I wait until a fix comes out.

Status
Not open for further replies.