Losing 10-20% of battery when reboot happens...

Gravytrain

May 11, 2011
Visit site
Anyone else noticing a drastic drop in battery life after a reboot?? I start watching closely and just now my battery went from around 30% to 19% after a reboot.... I'm getting my 3rd tb tomorrow, if this one isnt any different, I may request a different phone. :mad:

Eta: I'm having at least 10 reboots/day, that's just the witnessed ones.

Chrisy

Banned
Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Random reboots are killing my battery too. Otherwise, I kind of like them to keep my cache cleared. But I would prefer to have them planned, not random while I'm using Navigation.

paintdrinkingpete

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
It's normal for a reboot to cause a drop in battery power, but that does seem a bit high.

I remember when I owned my last BlackBerry, reboots would use up a TON of battery, and to make matters worse, it seemed to be more pronounced when the battery was already running low (<50%).

I don't necessarily think the dramatic drop in battery is too much to be concerned with, but the reboots themselves might be regardless.

Chrisy

Banned
Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Absolutely. However, those of us getting 4-5 random reboots in a day are suffering with poor battery life because of the frequency.

rcpa

Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
There wasn't a real drop in battery level. The phone just thinks there was. Batteries are not like a glass of water where the exact level can be observed. The battery level you see is an estimate based on information gathered as the phone is used. When you reboot the phone, you clear out some piece of information the algorithm was using and the phone makes a new guess at the battery level. I've never seen my drop more that 5-10% on a reboot, but always when it does, the battery level stays at the new level for an hour or more instead of steadily declining like it normally does. That is evidence that the battery level after reboot doesn't reflect reality.

Chrisy

Banned
Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
That makes sense. I read that somewhere before. But I also think the Rebooting process takes some battery. So add that 5 times a say and there is significant battery drain.

Especially when that bright white screen is on, for a long time. That has to drain the battery somewhat.

kalopsia

Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
I've never seen my drop more that 5-10% on a reboot, but always when it does, the battery level stays at the new level for an hour or more instead of steadily declining like it normally does. That is evidence that the battery level after reboot doesn't reflect reality.

+1

I'll drop from like 68% to 61% when I reboot, but it'll stay at 61% for a while despite heavy usage.

rustypixel

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
Any time after rebooting my phone (by my choice ot the phone's own choice), the battery level that is displayed is the correct battery level. I've learned that there is a discrepancy between the battery level that is shown on your screen and what the true battery level is. A reboot, any reboot, will then show the current level at start-up. My before-reboot and after-reboot levels have always been a consistent 15% points off. Basically, your battery level is actually lower than what you think it is. This is something that I think HTC needs to fix with some kind of update.

Last edited:

OC Nut

Apr 30, 2011
Visit site
Yes, I think the reboot itself actually doesn't use that much battery. Yesterday, I did a reboot on purpose right after charging it up to 97, and it was 96 after the reboot. My phone is on the charger now, at 100%, and in the middle of trickle charging (i.e., the indicator shows 100%, but I am getting amperage out of the charger), and I just did a reboot, which has just brought it to 99%.

I have seen a 20% drop after reboot as well before, but then the battery gauge stayed at the same level for more than 2 hours.

So I agree that it's a battery gauge issue.

Reactions: Chrisy

Andrew Ruffolo

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
Yes, I think the reboot itself actually doesn't use that much battery. Yesterday, I did a reboot on purpose right after charging it up to 97, and it was 96 after the reboot. My phone is on the charger now, at 100%, and in the middle of trickle charging (i.e., the indicator shows 100%, but I am getting amperage out of the charger), and I just did a reboot, which has just brought it to 99%.

I have seen a 20% drop after reboot as well before, but then the battery gauge stayed at the same level for more than 2 hours.

So I agree that it's a battery gauge issue.

Thats a common thing amongst Android phones. The battery stats need to be properly wiped (root/recovery required... or at least easiest way I know to do it). Happens all the time when I flash a new ROM on my Epic. I just came to the T-bolt due to lack of service issues with Sprint. I think I can help you all out with the reboots (as I don't get them). Is anyone who is truely bothered by them willing to lose their data and root their phones?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AmeliaRodriguez