View Poll Results: Considering the results of the last OTA, are you gonna "Jump" on the Gingerbread OTA?

Voters
110. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

94 85.45%
  • No

0 0%
  • I'm gonna wait and see

16 14.55%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    3,645 Global Posts
    ROM
    Latest OTA Official ROM

Default Considering the results of the last OTA, are you gonna "Jump" on the Gingerbread OTA?

Considering the results of the last OTA, are you gonna "Jump" on the Gingerbread OTA?

-Yes

-No

-I'm gonna wait and see

I'll jump. Just 'cuz, that's the way I am And, fortunately, the last OTA has been good to me.

-Frank
    [HTC Thunderbolt™ 4G/LTE!]
    It's not your dream phone. It's the one after that!©
    Look here for a [VZW Coverage Map] to check your area. Select 4G before hitting [Refresh]

Same here and Gingerbread is a MAJOR update so I'd figure the engineers are probably being run ragged to see if there is anything they can do to break it before they push it.

I picked wait and see. If skype video works well with it, then i will get it.

I'll wait and see-- I was really trying to "jump" on the original OTA as I really needed the fixed video recording but thankfully I was never offered the update and saw the disaster it became. (I know, not for everyone) So my Bolt currently stays as is, but I'm really going to be ready for a nice upgrade.. my "wait and see" period may only last a few hours.. (Although I think the random reboots became apparent pretty fast after OTA launched)

The last OTA was a firmware/radio update as opposed to a ROM/OS update like GB.

Two different beasts correct?

ROM
    Bamf Paradigm

Quote Originally Posted by kilofox View Post
    The last OTA was a firmware/radio update as opposed to a ROM/OS update like GB.

Two different beasts correct?
    you are correct.

i'll jump on the GB OTA.

GB is an OS update so definitely.
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

Global Posts
    3,645 Global Posts
    ROM
    Latest OTA Official ROM

Quote Originally Posted by HoneyBunch View Post
    GB is an OS update so definitely.
    But, but... since HTC is gonna have to "integrate" HTC Sense into it, and it will become an "HTC Product" upon release, isn't it also likely to have a new HTC radio? Or two? Or radio fixes? Even if only fixes for HTC's hardware "integration" to the radios (with potential for real radio performance improvement - i.e. Switching 3G/4G etc.)

-Frank
    Last edited by FrankXS; 05-25-2011 at 03:48 PM.
    Look here for a [VZW Coverage Map] to check your area. Select 4G before hitting [Refresh]

Quote Originally Posted by FrankXS View Post
    But, but... since HTC is gonna have to "integrate" HTC Sense into it, and it will become an "HTC Product" upon release, isn't it also likely to have a new HTC radio? Or two? Or radio fixes? Even if only fixes for HTC's hardware "integration" to the radios (with potential for real radio performance improvement - i.e. Switching 3G/4G etc.)

-Frank
    Sense is software... radios are firmware.
    Banned

Global Posts
    17,409 Global Posts

Wait and see. Fool me once...

Global Posts
    1,381 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock/CM

Misread thread title..

Global Posts
    62 Global Posts

Yes I will install the next OTA as I had no problems with the last.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

Hell yea. I can't wait for GB.

I'll wait also. I don't *need* the update, and the last one burned me good. A couple weeks or a month won't make much difference to me. The rest of you can be beta.

The next OTA yes and the one after that HELL NO! I will wait and see if its ok.

Global Posts
    11,761 Global Posts
    ROM
    GS3: CleanROM / N4: AOKP

My TBolt is running well. Will probably wait until the release GB software has been used to create some custom ROMs.

I haven't had any issues with the last OTA so yeah I'll install asap.
  18. Thread Author  Thread Author    #18  

Global Posts
    3,645 Global Posts
    ROM
    Latest OTA Official ROM

Quote Originally Posted by kilofox View Post
    Sense is software... radios are firmware.
    Firmware is another word for software burned into a chip. Often via an OTA update. When the last OTA update was released, it burned itself into a chip on the phone, hence it modified the "firmware". That is why if you "restore factory default" you still have the update. Because it overwrote the previous version firmware on the chip. IOW, firmware = software.

-Frank

I will install the ota gingerbread, as I had no problems with the ota 2.2 on my incredible. I had a mess with the Verizon ota update on the incredible that added more bloatware. I was very Leary of Verizon's ota for the thunderbolt but out side of a once a day restart all has been fine for me. I will be again Leary of any Verizon ota after GB. I don't need more bloatware messes. I did hear one downfall on the GB update, you can no longer use call filters or blockers. Any info on this? Non rooted TB

Global Posts
    172 Global Posts
    ROM
    CyanogenMod

I'd be happy with an OTA to fix the problems caused by the last one. Reboot isn't frequent but seem to happen when I'm in the middle of an important email. Plus now having trouble keeping a constant 3G or 4G connection. I find it hard to believe GB is coming soon. They'll wait until they need to use it to extend sales of new devices.

ROM
    AOKP M3!

Pretty sure if it goes poorly, I'll be jumping to another phone.

ROM
    You Jelly Huh 2.1

Wow, this reminds me of when I had my Fascinate and everyone was yelling, kicking and screaming for the update to Froyo. Now it's Gingerbread for the TBolt. Reminds me of the good ol' days. ;-)
    My Galaxy Note 2 tells me to have a beer! Okay!!!

I'll jump. I figure it can't be worse than the last OTA that caused my reboots...can it? I'm in the hopes that it will fix current issues.

Quote Originally Posted by FrankXS View Post
    Firmware is another word for software burned into a chip. Often via an OTA update. When the last OTA update was released, it burned itself into a chip on the phone, hence it modified the "firmware". That is why if you "restore factory default" you still have the update. Because it overwrote the previous version firmware on the chip. IOW, firmware = software.

-Frank
    I see what you mean Frank. The point I was trying to make is that the comparing the update to Gingerbread to the last firmware update is not the same as going from Froyo to Gingerbread. Sense is a shell that runs on top of the OS. All 3 are different types of software: firmware, OS and Shell.

Worrying about a pending OS update because of the last firmware update doesn't make "sense" to me. (sorry, I could not help myself)

I've had NO issues with the last OTA... I'm looking forward to the Gingerbread OTA.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast