Should I get the TB right now or wait?

AirSupply

May 6, 2010
Visit site
I am so sick with my iPhone and just got rid of it for my sake. Now I am in a complicated case "to buy or not to buy" because I really love the Blackberry Bold 9930 and also hearing that the Bionic is "coming soon" as well. Do you guys think I should get the TB right now or using a crappy phone for a while to wait for better phones?

I do appreciate your comments

SoDev

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
I wouldn't trade my Bolt for any of VZW's current or coming soon lineup, so there's my take on it. While it does have it's issues (for some people more than others), it has an amazing dev community if you are into or looking to get into rooting. Also, there are some damn good deals out for the Bolt these days.

Reactions: AirSupply

MGoBlue

Sep 11, 2010
Visit site
I had the same debate and the one thing that influenced my decision was the ability to grandfather in the unlimited 4G data plan. I was worried that VZN would switch to a tiered plan and charge extra for 4G by the time the bionic came out and I didn't want to wait and see, plus I prefer the Sense UI over Blur.

This led me to getting the Tbolt and I lucked out and got it for $99 through VZN's online store (2-yr renewal).

Chrisy

Banned
Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Even with the Bolts current issues, it's so much better than my BlackBerry Tour. The new BlackBerry isn't going to be anywhere near as good as the new Android phones. I say get, join us!

soccerfon711

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
No blackberrys. I would wait to see if the Thunderbolt reboot problem is sorted out; if you're one of the users affected, it's not fun. But I understand your turmoil, because the Bionic will likely bring tiered 4G data prices.

AirSupply

May 6, 2010
Visit site
I really like the look of the Bolt more than the Charge and the Bionic 4.5" design seems too big for me. I am searching on eBay for couple days and haven't found any good deal yet >.<

MGoBlue

Sep 11, 2010
Visit site
I think there was another thread on this, but it may be specific to some accounts based on how long you've been with VZN. I qualified for a "Secret Sale" that they were doing and it knocked the price down to $199. After going through the checkout process, all the way to the final step before submitting my order, it showed an additional $100 off bringing it to $99. I also saw some posts that Amazon had it for $99, but I'm not sure if that's still going on.

I was also considering the Droid Charge (I had a Fascinate before), so the $99 price tag on the TBolt definitely helped sway my decision.

paintdrinkingpete

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
Unfortunately, in this market, there is ALWAYS gonna be phone that's only *a month or two away* that will be enticing...no matter what current phone you may be considering.

Based on what was posted by the OP, I'd get one now. Just my 2?. Personally, I was BlackBerry user (and defender) for years, but I'm done with them. The Bionic has some sweet specs, but as much as I love the TBolts 4.3" screen, the size of the device is really close to the edge for me, and I really think 4.5" is just too big for something I have to carry around with me all the time. On top of that, no real release date has been put there, and the estimates seem to just getting pushed back. I've never been that good at playing that waiting game.

Plus, I love my Thunderbolt.

soccerfon711

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
@soccer: how to avoid the rebooting issue? or it is just the nature (quality error) of it?

Some phones are randomly rebooting after the last software update. It is most likely tower/location based, but HTC has been aware of the problem for about a month now and they have not sent out a fix yet. I would wait to see what happens with that. Then again, you could be in a region that is not having problems.

AirSupply

May 6, 2010
Visit site
I am in Rochester MN, and we don't have 4G coverage here. I may turn off the 4G connectivity, but it is safe to not update the last OTA I think

normio2

Apr 6, 2010
Visit site
If you wait now you'll be waiting forever, new technology is always on the horizon, just get the TB, its a great device!

motodunner

Nov 8, 2009
Visit site
If I was choosing right now I think I would go with the incredible 2... Especially with the rebooting issue of the tb. I picked up a inc2 last week for my wife and it is a really nice phone. I only could find one plus with the tb over inc2 for me and that is the bigger screen.The price is awesome too... 79.99 at Costco.

If my phone never rebooted and I lived in a 4g area the tb would probably get the nod.

Jude526

Trusted Member
Dec 13, 2010
Visit site
I have been away from the BB for awhile now and there is no comparison. Android is a much better experience. I don't have the TB but have played with it. I can upgrade in December and am considering it. I currently have the original Incredible and love it to death. I can deal with a 4.3 screen but having a screen that is 4.5 is just too big. I have small hands and 4.3 is comfortable. Anything larger than that will not work for me. I think you would like the TB if you are wanting a 4G device.

MegaSoundwave76

Dec 22, 2010
Visit site
My honest opinion? Go into a store and play with all the Android phones they have available. And ask the sales reps to reboot the phones when you do play with them so that you have a fresh experience with all the devices. Get yourself something that feels good to you. The TBolt felt the best to me, but only after playing with the Charge and a couple of handsets first. Remember, you are going to put some serious cash down for it, so you better love it.
Of course, I love my TBolt!! Woot woot!!

Reactions: SoDev

amotter

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
Happy with mine. I am new to android...of you tried to take my bolt away I would cry. The battery is not great though. I do have to charge during the day.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

AirSupply

May 6, 2010
Visit site
Thank you for all the comments guys. I already purchased the BOLT today after work and bought several cases and screen protector from Amazon. Can't wait to get them.

I am rooting my phone right now and my quick question is: after rooting, what is the best custom rom for it? or just keep the stock OS?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress