Was the HTC Thunderbolt a Flop?

worwig

Dec 29, 2010
Visit site
My Gps sucks...can't even ever find me 60 miles off...
So what do you guys think?

I think you have a defective phone and needed to call VZW long ago. Or, you don't really know how to use the GPS and you are using Google location services instead and don't know it. Two different animals. You need to understand the difference. My GPS (not to be confused with my location service) gets me within about 10 feet in under 30 seconds. If yours doesn't, get the phone fixed.

I had a Samsung Fascinate for about four month. For me, that phone was a failure on MANY levels, hardware and software. One day after yet another total fail on the Fascinate, I went directly to a VZW store and got the HTC Thunderbolt. The battery life could be a little better, and the display isn't a pretty as the Fascinate AMOLED, but most important to me, it works. It really works. :D

So I went from a Samsung that would often fail me just when I needed it the most, to the Thunderbolt that just works. That is nowhere near a 'flop' in my book.

Is it perfect. Nope. But then nothing is.

Vance14

Aug 17, 2010
Visit site
This is really just a matter of preference. Many prefer the Charge.

Very true, that screen is nice. My point is that when three big phones have come out since the TB and, even with some issues, it can still be arguably the best phone then it is hard to call it a flop.

But, yes, the Charge and the TB each have their pros and cons, as do the DX2 and Revolution.

Chrisy

Banned
Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
HTC Thunderbolt is a winner in my eyes. That's all that counts. Perception is reality. It will continue to improve, is the best Android out there, and you're the flop. :p

Reactions: SoDev

s14tat

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
Right. As long as he skips over the Charge reboot threads, 3G/4G connectivity and data-loss threads, and the data-loss during tethering threads. :)

-Frank

Except there are only one thread for each of those issues while the thunder bolt forums is flooded with theses threads. The problems there are not enough to make the head lines on ac basically.

asianrage

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
Except there are only one thread for each of those issues while the thunder bolt forums is flooded with theses threads. The problems there are not enough to make the head lines on ac basically.

So the fact that the phone has only been recently introduced, along with possible low adoption rate, doesn't factor into the low thread count? You must also consider that more people might have known more about the negatives of having fast 4G and big radio, so thus complain less?

Also, the droid charge did come with one thing that the Bolt should have came with, a bigger battery, along with a energy efficient (S-AMOLED+) screen.

cadzilla74

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
It's really amazing the diversity of experiences people are having with the same phone on the same carrier.

Personally, I love my Bolt. No reboots, no power offs (it has done each of those things exactly once and that was weeks ago). I am always prepared to handle the limited battery life in a number of ways and I'd like Netflix but I can wait.

LTE in Dallas/Fort Worth is excellent. I just opened GPS Status app and got a GPS lock in 5 seconds.

I wouldn't trade this phone for anything else. I'm anticipating Gingerbread will make it even more enjoyable. I wish you could all have the same experience I'm having with my Stock and OTA Updated TBolt.

MegaSoundwave76

Dec 22, 2010
Visit site
Right now, I'm totally enjoying my Thunderbolt. I live in an area where it's completely covered in 4G goodness (San Francisco Bay Area) and it is freakin' fast. No cosmetic issues with mine, the battery life is good to acceptable on 3G and great on Wifi. 4G of course is a battery hog. The screen is good. Yeah, would have been nice to have the Charge's SAMOLED+ screen (it does do eat less battery juice), but the Super LCD is pretty nice.
Trust me, coming from the Fascinate to the TBolt, no comparison. TBolt is a winner in my book. Knocking on wood now just to make sure I don't have all the problems some of you folks are experiencing. ;-)

Groucho

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site

Don't suppose you have noticed that there are 10 times more posters on the TB forum. Charge has no significant installed base and may never have one. Ask any Verizon rep and they will tell you the TB is a huge financial success. HTC earnings have more than tripled in the last year. Stockholders, and don't fool yourself that's all that matters, love flops like the TB.

rookie83

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
coming from a storm 1 this is not a flop, but has some issues that bug me.1 poor battery life even worse after update, 2 random reboots and shut down with out restarting( this is my biggest issue daughter has asthma) 3 spotty gps 4 random key board issues wont type in 1/4 area of keyboard might be because its getting ready to reboot and these issues are over 2 different TB mine and wifes, but the speed and in general it's the second best phone I've gotten from big red. The storm 1 was a major flop for us. I just wish Big Red would not release a phone until it was perfect. If we can send a man to the moon why cant we get a phone that works right out of the box and last a two year contract.

frankg

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
No reboots in my market. I guess it depends on where you live, which is unfortunate. The TB has been everything I expected. It was verizon' s first 4g phone. We are early adopters, and I think the TB has performed very well in that regard. The only real issue for me was the battery life, but I recently got an extended battery and now I can't kill it even if I try! I guess the expectations were too high, but if you look at the iphone, remember all the problems early adopters had? Basic stuff like landscape keyboards and mms messages were non-existent. And how about all the dropped calls? Face it, the TB is the fastest, most capable 4g smartphone in existence today, because it's on the fastest 4g network (proven). It's not a perfect phone, but one doesn't exist. Take it for what it is and you'll accept it.

s14tat

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
coming from a storm 1 this is not a flop, but has some issues that bug me.1 poor battery life even worse after update, 2 random reboots and shut down with out restarting( this is my biggest issue daughter has asthma) 3 spotty gps 4 random key board issues wont type in 1/4 area of keyboard might be because its getting ready to reboot and these issues are over 2 different TB mine and wifes, but the speed and in general it's the second best phone I've gotten from big red. The storm 1 was a major flop for us. I just wish Big Red would not release a phone until it was perfect. If we can send a man to the moon why cant we get a phone that works right out of the box and last a two year contract.

Makes you wonder why htc is doing so well. Their hardware was never bleeding edge ( it takes a scorpion processor at 1ghz and 758 ram to almost perform like a nexus s with lower specs on paper), I guess a lot of people like sense ui.

MOTOX2

Sep 22, 2010
Visit site
Hmmm pretty good but if the samsung galaxy 2 is 4g and comes in july ...august or a dual core htc...ill buy those before an iphone....hey an iphone does work...my phone right now doesn't...im calling verizon though...so ill probably get a refurb and if i complain just enough, a new one....yah mine is defective though...at the stores they give me bs and i know my tech so i know its bs...no about the google location services...i have everything right...

Mike_is_Mike

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site
Whether the Thunderbolt is a flop or not is yet to be seen.

It has gotten off to a rocky start, if the MR2 and Gingerbread don't fix the problems THEN I am willing to call it a flop.

Mike_is_Mike

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site

Big red takes too long to release their phones as it is. If they waited until they were perfect, we'd still be waiting for the release of the RAZAR.

What they need are more and better programers to get these phones right the first time and on time.

Subliminal

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
Ha. The Charge does have a slightly nicer screen and the battery lasts a little bit longer...but I'd say that's where the advantages end. No Clockwork, no Roms.

I'm running 2.3 on my phone, I have Netflix and Skype, I get great 4G speeds. No reboots...Rooting was easy.

I really have no complaints, other than the glass could be a little tougher. I dropped my phone once and my wife's once...but now I have extra batteries, so that negates the only real negative. ;)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AmeliaRodriguez