Wrecked my bolt - replacement questions

pbannist

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site
Dropped my Tbolt a week ago, cracked the screen pretty badly, and don't have insurance. Verizon was no help (they didn't even mention that some stores could potentially repair it!). I checked a bunch of stores and no one who could do the repair had the parts available, so I ordered the replacement glass and decided to give it a shot.

After ~4 hours of messing around with the disassembly and 20 minutes of reassembly, I somehow broke the LCD in the process - so am giving up.:( Will probably sell the existing bolt on ebay or something for parts.

Anyway, I love my Thunderbolt though so planning on getting another one to replace it, and had a few questions:

1) What's the best place to get a new one from for cheap? Guessing ebay is my only option here but figured I'd ask.
2) For either used or new (might not get a new if too expensive) - what do I need to make sure I look for with the replacement phone so VZW will activate it for me and won't have any issues? Clean ESN, anything else important to watch for or watch out for?

Thanks! So sad to have my busted Thunderbolt:(

anon(18763)

Apr 27, 2010
Visit site
Check the esn against verizon's lost/stolen list AND delinquent account list. I got burned once because I didn't know about the latter and they didn't check automatically.

You can always try craigslist depending on where you live. If you go that route, I would just meet at a corporate store so they can do all checks and activations with him right there before payment.

FrankXS

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
Heartfelt Condolences.

Hopefully your post (about further damaging the LCD) will be beneficial to others who aspire to doing a screen replacement. These things can go bad so easily.

The only route I see is eBay.

-Frank

Cenzo

Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
Dropped my Tbolt a week ago, cracked the screen pretty badly, and don't have insurance. Verizon was no help (they didn't even mention that some stores could potentially repair it!). I checked a bunch of stores and no one who could do the repair had the parts available, so I ordered the replacement glass and decided to give it a shot.

After ~4 hours of messing around with the disassembly and 20 minutes of reassembly, I somehow broke the LCD in the process - so am giving up.:( Will probably sell the existing bolt on ebay or something for parts.

Anyway, I love my Thunderbolt though so planning on getting another one to replace it, and had a few questions:

1) What's the best place to get a new one from for cheap? Guessing ebay is my only option here but figured I'd ask.
2) For either used or new (might not get a new if too expensive) - what do I need to make sure I look for with the replacement phone so VZW will activate it for me and won't have any issues? Clean ESN, anything else important to watch for or watch out for?

Thanks! So sad to have my busted Thunderbolt:(
Used: Craigslist / Ebay

New: Wirefly.com / LetsTalk.com