Fed up with Thunderbolt

finchdroid

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site
just want to say i had the iphone 3gs for 2 years and was counting the days & months before my at&t contract would be up. I was the only one in my family that wasn't on big red and they always had connections where i would not (if i did it was terrible). Very irritating to say the least. After I got my TB 2 family members were amazed with it and now are proud owners. While yet another went with the iphone4 and 1 month later he is trying to get his parents to get him a TB, because he hates his vzw iphone.
food for thought;)

Reactions: FrankXS

lavrishevo

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site
What is sad is the childish and ignorant comments or rather, the attachment of self worth to ones cell phone. As a former tbolt owner I can tell you the 4G connectivity is really the only thing great about the tbolt. Everything else is implemented better on other Android or iOS devices. I would not buy the 3G iPhone on Verizon because Verizon's 3G sucks compared to AT&T but a 4G iPhone will be a hell of a lot more polished then anything released so far.

As far as apps go, there is almost no comparison. Almost all the Android apps I downloaded felt 'slapped' together compared to the polished state of iOS. I loved the openness and the widgets on Android but I had a hard time dealing with the overall quality.

sloan31

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
As a former tbolt owner I can tell you the 4G connectivity is really the only thing great about the tbolt. Everything else is implemented better on other Android or iOS devices.

Wow...thanks for educating us as to what is good and what isn't :)

Seriously, everyone should remember that all these comments are simply YOUR OPINION...and nothing more. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion and none of these opinions represent undisputed facts.

blackberryconvert2011

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
Hmm...just my opinion, but I think the tbolt is great because it's the only phone (even VZ Iphone) that can do data and voice at the same time. maybe there are other phones that work smoother, but they can't do that and they aren't androids...every phone has its issues...

dragonsamus

Jun 20, 2010
Visit site
I really like my phone. The battery life is ok and I don't have the reboot issue. If you're not happy you should switch. I would've returned this phone if I had all the issues I keep reading about. I don't understand why people keep something if its defective and then whine about it.

Reactions: iron mongoose

GMChuck

Jul 1, 2011
Visit site
I started with the MOTO q, then went through the storm 1, then storm 2, Droid x, and now I am using the Thunderbolt. I can deal with a reboot or two a day. I had to carry two batteries with the q. I had to do battery pulls with both blackberries. Forget surfing the web, dial up is faster than a blackberry. The X was a awesome phone but had random reboots too, although not as often. I have thought about an iPhone also, but they mess up too, like when you get a voicemail. The TBolt has a good heavy quality feel to it like the storm had that the x was missing, and in contrast the iPhone 4 has a sissy delicate feel. Think about it, you have a "top shelf" 200 dollar device and you want it to replace your phone, gps, tv, camera, camcorder, radio, mp3 player, computer, modem, and on and on and it has to do it 100% perfect or you are going to throw it out! Man wake up, you have the best device on the market. If you get a slower iPhone you will be ready to kick it to the curb after the first voice mail you miss.

General Tso

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
The thing is, I love the phone. I just can't handle the reboots and lack of apps. In your honest opinions, how long till the update?

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

yodatom10

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
I started with the MOTO q, then went through the storm 1, then storm 2, Droid x, and now I am using the Thunderbolt. I can deal with a reboot or two a day. I had to carry two batteries with the q. I had to do battery pulls with both blackberries. Forget surfing the web, dial up is faster than a blackberry. The X was a awesome phone but had random reboots too, although not as often. I have thought about an iPhone also, but they mess up too, like when you get a voicemail. The TBolt has a good heavy quality feel to it like the storm had that the x was missing, and in contrast the iPhone 4 has a sissy delicate feel. Think about it, you have a "top shelf" 200 dollar device and you want it to replace your phone, gps, tv, camera, camcorder, radio, mp3 player, computer, modem, and on and on and it has to do it 100% perfect or you are going to throw it out! Man wake up, you have the best device on the market. If you get a slower iPhone you will be ready to kick it to the curb after the first voice mail you miss.

I second that and welcome to android central

Edwill86

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
LOL apple HAS let problems go unanswered for months. The fact is unlike Apple HTC is being responsive to users and letting thme know they are fixing the problems.

there was a huge bug with one of the ios 4 versions that made usb audio playback useless.thousands of ppl posted on the apple forums and never got a response. eventually apple release a new ios version that fixed it... 6 months later....
it effected iphones and ipod touches alike ( i had an ipod that was affected)

peace out have fun with the crapple

Jdyount

Aug 27, 2010
Visit site
Verizon's 3G sucks compared to AT&T .

As far as apps go, there is almost no comparison. Almost all the Android apps I downloaded felt 'slapped' together compared to the polished state of iOS.

Again, ?????????????????????????

What world do you live in? AT&T's network is horrible compaired to V. Good luck finding 3g half the time.

As fas as apps go: Maybe you should download better apps, with 250,000+ Android Apps, I just can't see how anyone can complain about not finding something they need. Try finding a good, FREE, map or Navi app on iPhone............

Doctor A

Oct 31, 2010
Visit site
I feel fortunate. I have stock unrooted phone and as far as I know have not had any reboots. Could it have happened when not using the phone? Who knows. Battery life-I have a charger at home, car. Glad I can wait for any updates.
Doc

General Tso

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
The thing is, I love the phone. I just can't handle the reboots and lack of apps. In your honest opinions, how long till the update?

What I meant is lack of apps on the Thunderbolt, not Android.

MegaSoundwave76

Dec 22, 2010
Visit site
What I meant is lack of apps on the Thunderbolt, not Android.

Lack of apps on the TBolt? Let me see what I got on my phone. I think I've downloaded almost close to 40 apps onto this thing. I don't think Android in general has a lack of apps, especially the TBolt (since it is an Android phone).

chuckh0308

Apr 3, 2011
www.welcomehomeseattle.com
I picked up a VZW iPhone last month. It is alright, but after the TB the iPhone feels pretty slow and and antiquated. My other half loves it though, so that is all that matters. Just remember the data speed is about 20x faster on the TB, and the screen is bigger and easier to view. Also, contrary to what some will try to tell you, the iPhone does frack up.sometimes and needs reboots. ;)

bunique4life05

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
I will have to admit I am little disappointed in the phone. (I have lot of forced closes lately as well hiccups in speed/function) What makes things worse is the phone has the tri-fecta which is Verizon Network, HTC, and 4G LTE. It's plagued with bugs and missing promised features which hinder the experience and overall expectation. We all know the problems with the phone and have second thoughts.This phone has gone way past being the beta phone for verizon becoming more and more a half ass excuse. Nothing changes the fact that the phone will be fixed. When the phone is fixed it will be great because right with all hiccups it has it's a overall good phone when it works.

Right now you have two options one get a new phone or two just wait. I choose to wait because funny thing in the end the fuzz will be in past and all we be forgotten. Then in near future for those who like rooting and having customs roms CM Devs will come through for sooner or later. I just can not image a stripped version of this phone with CM7 running on it. Without sense bogging it down and in placed highly optimize for performance and battery life the phone. The HTC Thunderbolt performance is good with all it's bugs right now and the battery life is decent without having the update to improve battery life.

Share your opinions,complaints or admiration but in the end you either get a new phone, or wait because no amount of threads or posts will change that fact.

Andrew Ruffolo

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
I like Android. I like Google. I like Verizon. I like HTC. Now that I got that out there I just wanna say that I will never again pay top dollar for this garbage. I am switching to iPhone when 5 comes to Verizon. I don't wanna root and flash roms and all that. I just want my hi-end device to work like I was told it would. I've had the phone since it released. It should have been fixed by now. I doubt Apple would ever have this kind of issue. I've owned a Dinc, droid x, and this POS. What say you all?

I had the same mentality as you. I have my iPhone 4 here... Guess what... I went back and bought a Thunderbolt full price and reactivated it. I thought, well, at least everything works on the iphone. It does, but you give up a lot of functionality and freedom. Different types of freedom.

Freedom #1 Ringtones. I know you can download them from iTunes, but why would I pay $1.29 for a ringtone of a song that costs $0.99? There are the ringtone makers in the App Store... and I have yet to get one to work.

Freedom #2 Downloading Files. You cannot download files from the browser onto your phone. Period. The jailbrake doesn't even work for the Verizon iPhone either.

Freedom #3 Attaching documents in e-mails. If you plan on using this phone as a business phone, this is a serious blow. The only thing you can attach are pictures. But since there is no menu in the mail app, you cannot add anything to a reply email.

Freedom #4 Being Computer-Free. You will not be able to do things without a computer or Wifi. Where I work, the wifi is slower than 3G data and I don't have permissions at my work stations to install programs. If I want to download a show (I work nights, and its slow) to watch while I work, I can't do it. Download a game over 20MB, can't do it. Want to Facetime to someone else over 3G, can't do it. Literally, I nicknamed my iPhone the iCan't.

Freedom #5 Browser is slow. Everyone knows you won't get Flash stuff on the browser. And to me, that wasn't a biggie. Most flash content on the internet seems to be ads anyways. But the browser left me feeling a lot to be desired for. I personally like tabbed browsing that Dolphin Browser offers, but I couldn't believe how slow the browser felt. In a race between my Tbolt and the iPhone on wifi, My bolt would load the full websites with flash content, before the iphone without flash content.

Freedom #6 40GB is much larger than 32GB. Its not just 8GB... its much much more. I load movies onto both devices. My iPhone has a couple of movies and is almost full (32GB version) and all my music. My thunderbolt (using music Beta) uses 0 SD card space for music. The video formats the Thunderbolt allows you to compress video files to a smaller size on the card than the iPhone. Where a movie is well over a 1GB (sometimes 2) on the iPhone, its 700MB file on the Thunderbolt.

Freedom #7 Relates a little to the above. DLNA or UPnP allows me to watch my movies on my 55" LEDLCD over wifi. While I have a PS3 at my house and don't need it because I can do the same to my PS3, I can do it at my GF's house where they have the exact same TV. A big plus since they have ATT Uverse which is a piece of crap and doesn't even let you pause/ff/rr live content on anything by the main unit (ironically, not where they have the nice TV). You cannot do that without getting an Apple TV.

Freedom #8 Large Screen. I had trouble typing on the iPhone. Its auto-correct provides for some humor (see smartphowned.com to get a hint). The library doesn't keep commonly used words. It will remember a word short term, like in a brief text-to-text, but it will not keep long term or even 15 minutes later. It may have a retina display, but its still a TFT LCD screen. Nothing really special since its so much smaller.

Freedom #9 Google Maps. Iphone's maps app, blows in every aspect.

Freedom #10 Call quality is worse. Very noticeable.

Freedoms 2 and 3 came up so many times for me in the 3 weeks I had the iPhone, I got more aggravated and said, I'll put up with a restarting device (ironically, my new Tbolt hasn't restarted). I do business from my phone. I need to be able to do things without a computer, and that just isn't possible with the iPhone. Yesterday I was in a meeting with my boss' and they asked me what was on formulary for Medicaid. I was not only able to find it (you can do that with an iPhone), but I was able to download it, and attach the pdf file in an e-mail to all my other co-workers. If you are going to get an iPhone because of the games... get an ipod touch.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress