Verizon LG G2: Who has rooted their phone?

Crispy

Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
New G2 owner. I see on XDA there's a root available and also a flashable KitKat rom. But some of the threads here are about how KK on the G2 has some issues.

Wondering how many people here have rooted their phones and what do you run - Xposed, GravityBox?

Last edited by a moderator:

SactoKingsFan

Nov 1, 2013
Visit site
Re: Who has rooted their phone?

I used ioroot to root my G2 shortly after I got it. Initially I just used Xposed framework and various modules to tweak the UI. Then I started flashing 4.4.2 ROMs for more UI and performance features. Recently been switching between three ROMs (PAC, Vanir, Carbon). They all run great.

Sent from my G2 running PAC-ROM

RazorLeaf

Sep 10, 2013
Visit site

I bought my G2 on launch day and rooted last week. I use Xposed and the G2 Tweaksbox module among other common ones. So far I'm overwhelmed by how much I can customize. I also use the KK launcher. I'm sure that Nova is better, but I haven't had any complaints on KK so far. It's amazing. I feel great about the rooting decision after reading about the KitKat issues people are having.

Sent from G2 or G Pad 8.3

scottysize

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site

ioroot worked great for me. No issues. I'm not into installing ROMs any more, so mine's still stock.

Ace4

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site

I rooted mine within 15 minutes of buying it, initially just to debloat it. I was running 4.4 ROMs for awhile, but recently I went back to just running CM 10.2 (4.3) because I got tired of CM11's problems with SODs, random freezes, and APN issues. CM 10.2 is very stable, I only had one reboot in the past two weeks. You can run the KK launcher, so it ends up being a very KK-like feel. (you can use Xposed if you want the transparent nav/status bars) If you want to go through the hoops to get the CM11 that was modified to use the leaked 24A baseband, that sounds like it resolved those problems, but it's not simple to install. Once "normal" CM11 is stable and updated with the genuine Verizon LG KK code, I'll go back to a CM11-based ROM.

Crispy

Apr 13, 2011
Visit site

I used to run AOSP on my S3 so hearing that its running fine on the G2 makes me feel better. I havent bothered to root yet because its a new phone (<1 week old) and I'm still enjoying the performance difference. I guess I'm going to root and play around with Xposed first, and flash KK roms as they become more stable.

codyfred85

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site

I just installed a version of the leaked OTA for 4.4. So far it's been excellent. I've tried all the other 4.4 roms like CM, C-Rom, Beanstalk and so on. Everyone one had issues with freezing, the screen not coming on or random bluetooth problems. The update really is faster. I had to check developer options to see if the animation scales were already turned down. Tap to wake also seems to be greatly improved. My only complaint is that I can't figure out how to make Muzei work as the lock screen wallpaper.

Crispy

Apr 13, 2011
Visit site

If you use Muzei don't you lose Knock off (double tap is handled by Muzei). I couldn't live with that.

codyfred85

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site

Nope. I use Nova Launcher. I also installed screen off so when I double tap, things work like normal.

gmep

Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
Rooted my stock KK 2 days ago then installed xposed and G2 TweaksBox. I could solve the stupid "data roaming you lost connectivity..." message problem, battery life looks great now (thx Greenify). I never had the knock on/off problem

Posted via Android Central App