LG G2 upgrade to KitKat assistance

TheBull50

Apr 11, 2014
Visit site
I have rooted my phone already and want to upgrade to Kit Kat. I have the ROM downloaded using ROM Manager as the app. Using the latest cyanogenmod mod ( cm-11-20140410-NIGHTLY-vs980 ). When I got to get into recovery mode, all I get is a Android Guy with a red triangle and an exclamation point on it. It is almost like I can't reboot into recovery mode. I tried factory resetting the phone once and still can't reboot into recovery mode. Any suggestions?

I am trying to follow this youtube video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tyBc45ScZzw

TheBull50

Apr 11, 2014
Visit site
I just downloaded TWRP 2.7 as a ZIP file. I saved it to my phone in the Download folder. I treid to used rom manger again and now all I am getting is a black screen. If I hold the power button in for about 10 seconds, the phone will restart. Kind of confused to be 100% honest. I know my phone is rooted so I'm good there. Do I run ROM manager and intstall the TWRP 2.7 zip file I have .. I tried that too and again.. black screen

SactoKingsFan

Nov 1, 2013
Visit site
You can't install the zip file without custom recovery. Try the freegee app. It will install TWRP. Then you should make a backup in TWRP and flash the ROM through ROM manager or ROM Toolbox. I prefer ROM Toolbox since it has more features and has built in ROM installer and updater.

Sent from my G2 running PAC-ROM

SactoKingsFan

Nov 1, 2013
Visit site
It does have a locked bootloader, but it's also locked on my AT&T G2. Loki allows us to bypass the locked bootloader and flash ROMs.

Did you accept an OTA update since getting the phone? Some of the updated G2 firmware is not fully compatible with custom recovery.

Sent from my G2 running PAC-ROM

TheBull50

Apr 11, 2014
Visit site
When i try to flash i only get a black screen. Im using rom manager and picking twrp 2.6.3 when this is happening.

- - - Updated - - -

And by flashing , im opening rom manager and choosing install from sd card, correct ?

Ronnie2

May 18, 2011
Visit site
No, don't ever use Rom Manager to flash a rom. You need to do it manually through recovery. It's a bit intimidating at first but it's not difficult and it's something that everyone should learn to do if they are gonna flash roms. First you need a custom recovery like TWRP or CWM recovery. You can install TWRP with Goomanager on the Play Store. Once you have your custom recovery of choice installed reboot into recovery and flash from there.

It's always a good idea to make a backup first before you flash anything. After you make your backup image it's time to wipe your device in preparation for flashing your new rom. If you don't wipe there will most likely be problems with your new rom since there are old files that may conflict with the new. After wiping everything (except the SD storage of course) you can now flash your new rom. Once it's completed just restart your phone and wait for the new rom to load.

It will take a few min to load up your new rom the first time so don't freak out if it's sitting at the boot animation for more than the usual 30 seconds. After that you should be good, it'll take you to the setup screen to add your Google account and such. If it doesn't load then go back into recovery and try it again. If you get lost or don't know what to do next, feel free to come back here and ask. Most users on this forum would be more than happy to help you out. It's much better to ask questions if you are unsure about something rather than brick your device. Hope it all works out for you.

Sent from my beastly LG G2 using Tapatalk

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dumpsterrentals38