Verizon Note 3: When will we have KitKat?

KiwiGrrl

Oct 19, 2013
Visit site
I smell spam!

I'm in no rush for KitKat due to the reported issues. Would be nice to have an ETA just to stop these threads though ;)

... sent from the road

Sonshine01

Nov 26, 2011
Visit site
Hi-My husband and I both have the Verizon Note 3. My husband did a restart on his phone this afternoon and when it booted back up it prompted a software update. I am not sure what this would have been for.. but I hit exit because I had read about some of the problems with KitKat. When it pops up again is there anyway to tell what the software update is for before downloading it? I checked my phone and it said my phone was up to date. Has anyone else gotten this? I am in Greenville SC

Spacemaker24

Oct 22, 2011
Visit site
Hi-My husband and I both have the Verizon Note 3. My husband did a restart on his phone this afternoon and when it booted back up it prompted a software update. I am not sure what this would have been for.. but I hit exit because I had read about some of the problems with KitKat. When it pops up again is there anyway to tell what the software update is for before downloading it? I checked my phone and it said my phone was up to date. Has anyone else gotten this? I am in Greenville SC

When did he get his Note 3?

Sent from my Galaxy Note 3 via Tapatalk 4 Pro

Sonshine01

Nov 26, 2011
Visit site
UPDATE- I went and got my husbands phone and I hit " check software updates to see what would happen and I got the last update was 12/10/13 so I hit "check for new" and it said software was up to date!!! Recap:After reboot today he had an update. I told him not to hit update and went over to look at it and there was a white box in the middle of his screen that said he had a new software update. I am the one that hit exit so it wouldn't install on his phone. WHY did he get the notification today if here was no update? If I hadn't seen the update software box and pressed exit myself I might have thought my husband was losing his mind. : ) Not sure what to think. Maybe we both are losing our mind! It really wouldn't surprise me!

pauldroidr2d2

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Re: When will verizon let us have kitkat?

I work for Verizon and they do not plan on releasing it until most of the bugs are dealt with. After all, one of the main reasons people switch carriers is because of issues with their phones. Verizon just likes to keep that to a minimum.

Posted via Android Central App

I would love to see the data and survey that generated that but if data.

I would like to know what the definition of "issues with their phones" is in the Verizon study as well.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

yarnsrj

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
UPDATE- I went and got my husbands phone and I hit " check software updates to see what would happen and I got the last update was 12/10/13 so I hit "check for new" and it said software was up to date!!! Recap:After reboot today he had an update. I told him not to hit update and went over to look at it and there was a white box in the middle of his screen that said he had a new software update. I am the one that hit exit so it wouldn't install on his phone. WHY did he get the notification today if here was no update? If I hadn't seen the update software box and pressed exit myself I might have thought my husband was losing his mind. : ) Not sure what to think. Maybe we both are losing our mind! It really wouldn't surprise me!

Is your husband's Note on the same android version as yours when you check "about phone"? I think we're all on
7ede8eha.jpg
this version.

from "Ms Note 3" on Tapatalk

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
Sounds like a firmware update, not sure why it took so long to roll out on his. I am looking to get a new Note 3 instead of the S5, and when the Note 4 rolls out I will just upgrade to that one.

rpsilva95

Mar 22, 2014
Visit site
I know some of the htc phones got it but a lot of them are out of the US.. I had a DROID DNA and they keep pushing back the date on kit kat

Posted via Android Central App

dc5_k20z1

Aug 31, 2012
Visit site
From what I've heard the Verizon Note 3 4.4 KitKat update is late because they are also incorporating the patch that Samsung released for 3rd party accessories and the SD card read write issues. Hopefully this is released the 1st week of April :)

Sonshine01

Nov 26, 2011
Visit site
Yes -I did check and he is on 4.3 just like mine. He was on 4.3 before the pop-up yesterday. Both of our phone say last update was 12/10/13. Thank you all for your reply's. I will just wait and see if we get a pop-up again. I am still shaking my head. : )

Spencerdl

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
My Verizon Galaxy Note3 runs near perfect (nice, smooth and quick) with JellyBean. I've decided to forgo this "KitKat update", I don't have any problems with wifi or any of the other problems I have read about concerning the Note3 (even though I believe a lot has to do with user error). I use my SD card (SanDisk 64gb) for MANY things and I don't want to have to worry about any third party apps to get my SD card to work properly. I just have read tooooo MANY negative stories on several devices concerning the KitKat update to take chance on ruining my AWESOME Note3. To each their own, but to update an OS that brings many problems to a device is not MY idea of what an update should do.

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
Samsung screwed the pooch on the accessory thing and perhaps they had a reason behind it but the prices they are charging for their flip covers is a joke and they should be giving them away, 60-70 for a crappy cover that costs $3-5 to make (if that). If they hadn't pulled the game they did in the first place the Kit Kat update would be out on the Note 3 without delay or issue.

Premium1

Trusted Member
Nov 7, 2011
Visit site
Not a jerk, just tellin it like it is.
I came over to the Note 3 from a HTC One with Kit Kat (I also run Kit Kat on my Nexus7). Most of you will be let down, there is no second coming with Kit Kat.
This "update obsession" that some seem to have is more interesting to follow than the updates themselves.
My HTC One was the perfect phone until the update. Screwed up my blue tooth call quality to the point that I could not use any of my hands free kits (2 Jawbones, Plantronics visor kit, Jabra Freeway). I actually had the phone replaced...worked great until I updated to Kit Kat then the same problems. I live in a state where you must use hands free while driving....I drive a lot.
The call quality on the other end was so bad I was asked many times to call back after I reach my destination.
I will repeat blackwe387's comment, Be Careful What You Wish For....You May Get It.

I agree. People forget these phones were built for the OS that they run out of the box, and other than bug fixes, a lot of the times new updates seem to cause more harm than good. In the older days of android where you *needed* the latest OS to run google apps, updates mattered more. But now with google being able to push updates through the play store, those OS updates are a little less important. If the device is running well on the current version why the need for an update that could make the experience worse, and then you would come back and complain about how you loved the device before the update and it should have stayed that way. It is a lose lose for carriers and the apple fans have brainwashed android users to think they need the latest update, because on IOS, unlike android, they do need the latest update for most of the apps.

Sonshine01

Nov 26, 2011
Visit site
SPENCERDL or anyone- You mentioned that you are not taking the KitKat update. Is there a way to set your phone not to install the update other than catching the popup box and declining the update or exiting out of it? I have researched this but do not seem to find a real answer.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress