Pictures won't save to SD card and some pics scrambled

Mish65

Feb 13, 2015
Visit site
My phone won't save my pictures to my SD card,even though I set it to and it always has. And, it may or may not let me record video. And, I don't know if this is related, but I tried to send about 11 pictures in an email, and it said it exceeded the file limit. My SD card has 18.53gb of free space. It also scrambled the bottom half of my most recent picture. This isn't the first time this has happened, but last time I was able to fix it with a restart. I can get a new card, but I have a TON of pictures saved in folders, and I don't want to lose them off my phone (yes, they are backed up, but I need/want them on my phone, in their folders). Thanks

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
In my experience, and especially if you're using a Sandisk Card, Samsung phones tend to do that: fry SD Cards. I no longer use them for other than storing media I've already backed up somewhere else. A bad SD Card will not only start corrupting your files, but will also drain your battery. I had the issue with the Note 2, the S4, and the Note 3. I've learned my lesson (finally!) with the Note 4; not gonna use an SD card anymore.

Mish65

Feb 13, 2015
Visit site
So, what brand SD card should I get? And is there anyway to save the folders I have organized all my photos in, and transfer them to the new card?

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Again, from my experience, I wouldn't trust a Samsung phone with SD Cards again, but that's just me. In any case, Samsung cards and Samsung phones should work well together, I guess... And yes, you can copy/paste your SD card to a new one without issues, either using a computer or a cloud service or temporarily moving your SD Card's contents to the phone.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
The problem was a bug in Samsung's firmware. SanDisk wrote a fix into their cards starting about a year or so ago. Samsung has, AFAIK, fixed the bug. (And SanDisk will replace a card damaged by the Samsung bug. Just live chat or send a tech support request on their site.)

If your phone updated from 4.3 to 4.4, you can no longer treat the SD card as an external storage device, it's now part of the file system. If you don't want to root (if you do, NextApp SDFix: KitKat Writable MicroSD (root) changes things back), the app itself has to create the folder. So delete the folder your pictures are in on the SD card (after backing up the whole folder structure), set the camera to save to external and it'll create a folder it can save to. (Then connect the phone or the SD card to the PC and copy back all the picture folders to that folder. The PC doesn't care about Linux permissions.)

As for the "exceeded the file limit" problem, most email servers limit the size of an email (including all attachments) to 25MB. If you try to send an email larger than that it won't work. (You can put the pictures into a cloud account private folder, then email people a link to the folder so they can download the pictures.)

Horjazz

Nov 3, 2014
Visit site
I have got the same problem with my SD card Sandisk Ultra in my Samsung S5, Pictures won't save to SD card and some pics are scrambled...
Is there any advice how to fix this? or my SD card is damaged in this case

Angela Davis8

Feb 21, 2016
Visit site
My phone won't save my pictures to my SD card,even though I set it to and it always has. And, it may or may not let me record video. And, I don't know if this is related, but I tried to send about 11 pictures in an email, and it said it exceeded the file limit. My SD card has 18.53gb of free space. It also scrambled the bottom half of my most recent picture. This isn't the first time this has happened, but last time I was able to fix it with a restart. I can get a new card, but I have a TON of pictures saved in folders, and I don't want to lose them off my phone (yes, they are backed up, but I need/want them on my phone, in their folders). Thanks