Sideload the Google Wallet app from Sprint possible?

Hghlndr

Mar 18, 2013
Visit site
Hey guys... I know there's lots of dialogue about the VZ, At&T, TMo Note 3's not having the correct hardware so just wondering if anyone has explored the possibility RE: my question above with different results? I find it difficult to believe when the Tap/Pay option in our App isn't even there in the settings, that Google would design so many different versions for phone co's!
I'm probably just being a recalcitrant geek! Lol Peace

Posted via Android Central App

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Google would design so many different versions for phone co's!
Google designs for the Nexus. The manufacturer modifies Android for its phones (and a different modification for each model). Then the carrier makes its modification to each version.

You could try installing the app in your phone. The worst that can happen is that it crashes. Then uninstall it. Tap/Pay is probably NFC, which all Note 3s have the capability of.

gozirra

Apr 28, 2011
Visit site
Rukbat, I know you're trying.
The Note 3 has several different models, some of which have different chipsets.
This is why Google doesn't support this model (and several others): https://support.google.com/wallet/answer/1347934?hl=en
And this is a more indepth explanation about the different drivers for the differing hardware to make it work: NXP Controller HCE for Google Wallet - Post #163 - XDA Forums

10 seconds Google'ing something to get facts instead of just posting "it should work" makes a little more sense, right?

jpr

Sep 14, 2010
Visit site
Hey guys... I know there's lots of dialogue about the VZ, At&T, TMo Note 3's not having the correct hardware so just wondering if anyone has explored the possibility RE: my question above with different results? I find it difficult to believe when the Tap/Pay option in our App isn't even there in the settings, that Google would design so many different versions for phone co's!
I'm probably just being a recalcitrant geek! Lol Peace

This won't change anything. It's not the app that is different. The app will show Tap n Pay if it recogizes an HCE enabled NFC chip in your phone. The app is the same on Sprint and Verizon and will not change that the chip in your phone does not have the firmware/drivers for HCE.

Hghlndr

Mar 18, 2013
Visit site
Thank you for the responses and your support!
To Gozira and JPR: indeed I have read info about the drivers and what has been said about the technical aspect of the NFC chipsets.
My problem with all this is: long before Google had it listed on their website that the N3 was incompatible and I first downloaded the Isis app onto my phone and got VZ's secure SIM, Wallet was out. Unfortunately I didn't realize the conspiracy that VZ was blocking Google Wallet from working while I had their app on my phone running Android 4.4.2. I say this as before 4.4.4 came out I deleted Isis from my phone turned on Google Wallet and tried it at Subway; it beeped, the screen came on and then realizing I hadn't selected the correct payment method and after my fussing with it the option disappeared. When I spoke to Google Wallet tech support they suggested I wait until 4.4.4 came out and try again. I then reinstalled SoftCard as I knew it functioned and thought it rather interesting Google Wallet would never work while it was on my phone.
Much to my dismay when 4.4.4 was released, SoftCard was 'burned into' the OS by VZ now unable to be removed only turned off! Nice.... Soon after this is when the Note 3 was added to Google's website as incompatible with their app.
All quite 'interesting' in the big picture, distracting in the small picture, and useless in reality.
BTW, speaking of googled info: what of all the people who claim after they root their VZ Note3 they could use tap and pay? So, from 4.4.2 to 4.4.4 the hardware Was changed; or maybe, what could be accessed. Hmm.
Thanks again for the input. Peace

gozirra

Apr 28, 2011
Visit site
I had it working for a while on my S3 - but only with a hacked version of Wallet, the "official" version didn't work - the hacked one was bypassing the check for the secure element on the SIM, and certain other things that one chip had and the other didn't. I understand your frustration - Google closed the "hack" as they called it, for compliance. Samsung saved $0.000000002 per phone by going with the cheaper chip. And we paid for it, well we tried to pay for it.
I get it. You're upset. Hoping and wishing isn't going to change underlying hardware, however. Your $1250000 Ferrari didn't come with air conditioning, and changing the channel on the radio 1000000 times isn't going to make it magically start getting cold.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mehammed