Galaxy S8. Did the pie update & now my phone is so messed up I can't believe.

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date
A

Android Central Question

So many issues right off the bat my head is swimming. Trying to figure out where to start.. Can't believe this kind of thing is allowed to happen w/no warning. I don't fully buy your conclusion that it's just Samsungs fault. I've always thought having an android phone is collusion & cooperation between Samsung, Google and Android. My S8 was supposed to be considered one of the best phones in the world. Even before this update, the phone has had more issues than I could begin to count, but I a least was used to them and was able to find ways around most of the problems to make the phone at least pretty usable. But now, w/this pie update, I do t see how the hell I'm gonna be able to do many things.. To me, to say the update works fine with pixel phones sounds like a cop out. Android isn't just for pixel phones. I'd venture there are a heleva lot more peeps w/Samsung S phones than have pixel phones. Anyway, the 1st big thing is some of the navigation buttons are now out of alignment. At 1st I thought the buttons simply ceased to work but later discovered they do work, or at least some do, but are out of alignment on the page. The most prominent example of that I've seen so far, is with the tabs. Hold on, now it has stopped allowing me to type in landscape. It was allowing that & now it is not. That is not a new issue, it has always plagued me. I hate portrait. Can't stand it & I really need landscape to type. Extremely difficult for me to type in portrait. Hurts me & constant mistakes. The keyboard covers over the typing field. Occasionally, it leaves a space above the keyboard to see the typing field but usually not. I need badly to know how to correct that problem. Getting back to the tabs issue, now I see that what I began to describe to you is not in the regular brow which I assume is Chrome. That is totally new and different and I still have to get used to that. But the alignment issue, I now see, is in using an older version of opera mini. I use about 5 different browsers for different purposes as some are more suited to certain sites, for me. Anyway, I use 2 different versions of opera mini and the older version I have used because of better navigation & look in certain much used sites. It is that older version that was fine before w/respect to the alignment of the navigation buttons but now, w/the update, it's way off on the actual thumbnail tabs themselves as well as the buttons below the tabs, ie, left & right fwd & back tabs, the refresh button, and the tabs button that pops the tabs up or hides them. I have to tap the tab or the button to the right tab or button from the one I want, in order to get the one I want (to the left) to work or come up, whichever the case is. I'm guessing you're gonna tell me I have to deal w/opera on that. That ain't gonna work cuz they will just say to use a newer version, which I have (and everything may well be ok there w/respect to this issue, but I haven't got that far yet. The thing is, that newer version, while it allows certain things to work that don't on the older version, still the older version has far better rendering & speed & navigational control than the newer version so I use it a major part of the time and have been for years. Nevertheless I'm guessing no one can help me w/that issue.

Next, the screen keeps dimming too dark. And I have to keep pulling down the screen to access the brightness bar. That's also not a new problem as had same issue before except on rarely did it start acting up in that regard but since the update, about 20 times in the 1st hour or so. So far it won't hold for more than 5/10 min. I checked some "automatic" thing but still giving me fits. Hopefully it will learn from my numerous adjustments & settle down. Where is split screen? I depended in that for certain issues I had that required me to take a screenshot of the splitscreen but now I can't find splitscreen? Such a useful thing, why was it taken away? Can't remember the rest of the issues right now. Will have to start gathering them come back here w/them. Any help w/above would be appreciated.

If, as you say, Samsung is the culprit to some degree, they should either provide better warnings on the update page or make rollbacks easy or both. I'm betting anyone also experiencing pie update issues, will agree with me.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Have you cleared your phone's cache? After a major update like this (no matter the device) it is always recommended to actually do a Factory Reset (it sucks, I know, but it's recommended) but if you already went ahead and started using the phone and don't want to go through the trouble of backing things up and re-setting up your phone to your liking, then cache is a good place to start and usually clears out a lot of issues.

As for apps not displaying properly or colors not showing up as they should, themes or apps that aren't yet optimized for Pie (or in the case of Themes, for Samsung's new white-on-everything color scheme) they might not show up properly.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! There's no "collusion" going on. An Android OS upgrade doesn't just simply work on every single phone on its own. They have to be tweaked and modified (often extensively) in order to work correctly for the particular hardware and software for each phone. If the phone is specific to a carrier, that adds yet another dimension -- the carrier has to add its own tweaks, since the phone typically has preinstalled software that's specific to that carrier only. This is why I personally prefer Pixel phones, since they're "pure Google," and the Android OS upgrade was designed with that phone in mind. It's also why system updates pushed to any other phones have an increased chance of bugs -- the more you fiddle with things, the more chance there is that something will break. It doesn't matter that there are far more Samsung phones out there, because Google has no control over the hardware and software that Samsung throws in there. It's up to Samsung to adapt Google's code directly, and unfortunately, their track record has not exactly been stellar.

mark7914

Jan 19, 2018
Visit site
If you're in the UK: depending on how old the phone is, if updates cause serious faults you may be able to take it up with the retailer who sold it to you, and send it to them to be fixed or for a refund.

Tixel

Mar 30, 2019
Visit site
I think the statement Samsung made to me is of huge relevance.

~ In An Email To Me From Samsung ~ Samsung Claimed People Had Become Habitualised ~

~ I Thought I Had Actually Learnt How To Use My Phone ~ I Didn’t Realise I Had Formed A Habit That Samsung And Google Obviously Thought I Was Better Cured Of ~

Tara Zanecki

Aug 16, 2016
Visit site
Re: Galaxy S8. Did the pie update &AT&T now my phone is so messed up I can't believe.

AT&T and SAMSUNG are seemingly not to blame (I've spent hours on the phone with both since I accepted and installed the most recent "update"). Their fingers point to a GOOGLE OS update that has basically rendered my device USELESS and killed my previously tolerable (yet beloved) GalaxyS8.

IT IS SO BAD I can't even figure out how to find the OS version installed!

"It cannot be reversed" (me: "but on my PC I can always reverse any software or OS update; our phones are basically mini computers, so why can't I reverse an update on my mobile device?"). "Sorry, you cannot."

My only resolve is to check and see when I am eligible for a new PHONE UPGRADE and get rid of this nightmare. IT IS AWFUL. Lost settings, etc and like the original poster, MY HEAD IS SWIMMING.

UNHAPPY.

So many issues right off the bat my head is swimming. Trying to figure out where to start.. Can't believe this kind of thing is allowed to happen w/no warning. I don't fully buy your conclusion that it's just Samsungs fault. I've always thought having an android phone is collusion & cooperation between Samsung, Google and Android. My S8 was supposed to be considered one of the best phones in the world. Even before this update, the phone has had more issues than I could begin to count, but I a least was used to them and was able to find ways around most of the problems to make the phone at least pretty usable. But now, w/this pie update, I do t see how the hell I'm gonna be able to do many things.. To me, to say the update works fine with pixel phones sounds like a cop out. Android isn't just for pixel phones. I'd venture there are a heleva lot more peeps w/Samsung S phones than have pixel phones. Anyway, the 1st big thing is some of the navigation buttons are now out of alignment. At 1st I thought the buttons simply ceased to work but later discovered they do work, or at least some do, but are out of alignment on the page. The most prominent example of that I've seen so far, is with the tabs. Hold on, now it has stopped allowing me to type in landscape. It was allowing that & now it is not. That is not a new issue, it has always plagued me. I hate portrait. Can't stand it & I really need landscape to type. Extremely difficult for me to type in portrait. Hurts me & constant mistakes. The keyboard covers over the typing field. Occasionally, it leaves a space above the keyboard to see the typing field but usually not. I need badly to know how to correct that problem. Getting back to the tabs issue, now I see that what I began to describe to you is not in the regular brow which I assume is Chrome. That is totally new and different and I still have to get used to that. But the alignment issue, I now see, is in using an older version of opera mini. I use about 5 different browsers for different purposes as some are more suited to certain sites, for me. Anyway, I use 2 different versions of opera mini and the older version I have used because of better navigation & look in certain much used sites. It is that older version that was fine before w/respect to the alignment of the navigation buttons but now, w/the update, it's way off on the actual thumbnail tabs themselves as well as the buttons below the tabs, ie, left & right fwd & back tabs, the refresh button, and the tabs button that pops the tabs up or hides them. I have to tap the tab or the button to the right tab or button from the one I want, in order to get the one I want (to the left) to work or come up, whichever the case is. I'm guessing you're gonna tell me I have to deal w/opera on that. That ain't gonna work cuz they will just say to use a newer version, which I have (and everything may well be ok there w/respect to this issue, but I haven't got that far yet. The thing is, that newer version, while it allows certain things to work that don't on the older version, still the older version has far better rendering & speed & navigational control than the newer version so I use it a major part of the time and have been for years. Nevertheless I'm guessing no one can help me w/that issue.

Next, the screen keeps dimming too dark. And I have to keep pulling down the screen to access the brightness bar. That's also not a new problem as had same issue before except on rarely did it start acting up in that regard but since the update, about 20 times in the 1st hour or so. So far it won't hold for more than 5/10 min. I checked some "automatic" thing but still giving me fits. Hopefully it will learn from my numerous adjustments & settle down. Where is split screen? I depended in that for certain issues I had that required me to take a screenshot of the splitscreen but now I can't find splitscreen? Such a useful thing, why was it taken away? Can't remember the rest of the issues right now. Will have to start gathering them come back here w/them. Any help w/above would be appreciated.

If, as you say, Samsung is the culprit to some degree, they should either provide better warnings on the update page or make rollbacks easy or both. I'm betting anyone also experiencing pie update issues, will agree with me.

Last edited:

Tara Zanecki

Aug 16, 2016
Visit site
Re: Galaxy S8. Did the pie update &AT&T now my phone is so messed up I can't believe.

AT&T and SAMSUNG are seemingly not to blame (I've spent hours on the phone with both since I accepted and installed the most recent "update"). Their fingers point to a GOOGLE OS update that has basically rendered my device USELESS and killed my previously tolerable (yet beloved) GalaxyS8.

IT IS SO BAD I can't even figure out how to find the OS version installed!

"It cannot be reversed" (me: "but on my PC I can always reverse any software or OS update; our phones are basically mini computers, so why can't I reverse an update on my mobile device?"). "Sorry, you cannot."

My only resolve is to check and see when I am eligible for a new PHONE UPGRADE and get rid of this nightmare. IT IS AWFUL. Lost settings, etc and like the original poster, MY HEAD IS SWIMMING.

UNHAPPY.

+++++++++++++

and PS: ALL OF THE ISSUES you (original poster) have experienced, I did as well. After many hours on the phone with Samsung support, including REMOTE ACCESS/SMART TUTOR, the rep was able to assist in correcting a few of the issues. But spending HOURS AND HOURS of time to erase and correct and fumble around to get a modicum of usefulness out of these thousand dollar lifeline devices makes me wonder if we shouldn't go back to analog landlines, snail mail, and walking, cycling or driving to meet our friends. Smoke signals might be a better way to send a message than this mess and timesink.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Sorry that you're experiencing issues, but the fact that the Pie update is not problematic on Pixel phones means that it's not an inherent issue with Google's own update. The problems happen when an OEM has to modify the base code to conform with their hardware and any other special software (i.e., OneUI).

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
Sorry that you're experiencing issues, but the fact that the Pie update is not problematic on Pixel phones means that it's not an inherent issue with Google's own update. The problems happen when an OEM has to modify the base code to conform with their hardware and any other special software (i.e., OneUI).
The Pie update has no problems on my phone as well (S9), and honestly there aren't a lot of people complaining that I see. Updates also have to take into account several things other than those who sent it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xak47d