Worth The Wait

Eric Kane

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
I haven't really read through these forums, but I'm guessing there's a lot of you who have vocalized that the wait for this phone sucks. I have a Verizon account myself so I'm aware of how trying they can be. I also have AT&T (and the S4) and I wanted to stop in here to let you know a few things if you weren't aware already:

-Being an early adopter, there can be some bugs during the first few weeks/months of a launch. The S4 is no different. Touchwiz, as those of you who have the Note 2 or S3 probably know, is heavy with transition animations. The S4 had an issue with those very animations during the launch that caused the phone to stutter from time to time. Since the phone launched on AT&T/TMobile/Sprint, there's been updates to all 3 versions of the phone alleviating those issues. I can't guarantee, but I would definitely bet the house that the Verizon S4 will be devoid of any of those issues either straight out of the box, or via OTA immediately after startup. That's a huge plus for you guys as you'll probably never have to feel the phone stutter as we did.

-Verizon gives their customers the ability to turn off LTE from within the settings as other carriers, like my AT&T version, do not. That's going to be a big plus for those that went to conserve battery life. The other good news is that this phone does pretty well even with LTE turned on.

I'm sure there won't be that many difference between the carrier versions of the phones, but I wanted to give you guys some good news if it hasn't been shared already. Here's to hoping that they start shipping them early for you.

chris2k5

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
Verizon is horrible. The phone is 30+ days LATE and why would I buy the S4 on May 30 when I can wait 10-15 days extra and see what Google is announcing in June? AND Apple as well...

Jennifer Stough

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2013
Visit site
Verizon is horrible. The phone is 30+ days LATE and why would I buy the S4 on May 30 when I can wait 10-15 days extra and see what Google is announcing in June? AND Apple as well...

Because if you play the waiting game, you'll always be waiting for the next best thing. Anything being announced by Google or apple in June will still have to be released. So if you have Verizon, you'd still be waiting for them.

OP, thanks for trying to share some positive light on what im sure has been a very negative experience for those who have been waiting. I agree with what you have said 100%. While Verizon is slow with releases and updates, 9/10 they do what they are intended and most if not all issues are pretty much ironed out.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Android Central Forums

fatboy97

Aug 10, 2010
Visit site
It's amazing how many Verizon haters that hang out in the Verizon device forums... not to say @Eric is a hater.

I'm sure some of the early adoption comments are exactly why Verizon waits a little longer and does additional testing on it's devices before releasing them to the public. Most people that hang out here know most of the comments that you already stated.

Eric Kane

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
Because if you play the waiting game, you'll always be waiting for the next best thing. Anything being announced by Google or apple in June will still have to be released. So if you have Verizon, you'd still be waiting for them.

OP, thanks for trying to share some positive light on what im sure has been a very negative experience for those who have been waiting. I agree with what you have said 100%. While Verizon is slow with releases and updates, 9/10 they do what they are intended and most if not all issues are pretty much ironed out.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Android Central Forums

Figured I'd try to give some positives since a lot of people are frustrated.

s44

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
Verizon is horrible. The phone is 30+ days LATE and why would I buy the S4 on May 30 when I can wait 10-15 days extra and see what Google is announcing in June?
Because that will launch later on Verizon as well... if it's available at all.

Also, I/O is next week, not next month.

ibcop

Trusted Member
Mar 9, 2011
Visit site

But as a general rule, the phones with Verizon will launch with the latest Andriod updates, if any. I remember when the S3 launched - people were crying about the bugs and such. You didn't see that when Verizon launched theirs.

majorpayne

May 9, 2011
Visit site
But as a general rule, the phones with Verizon will launch with the latest Andriod updates, if any. I remember when the S3 launched - people were crying about the bugs and such. You didn't see that when Verizon launched theirs.

This is actually typical of Verizon every time they share a phone with another carrier. I don't think it has ever been a month later but it has always been later. Also think of it this way AT&T launched the 32gb today and most of the employees don't even know they have it in store.. On top of ths they only have like 2 at each store (on avg)

japetty

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site
It's amazing how many Verizon haters that hang out in the Verizon device forums... not to say @Eric is a hater.

I'm sure some of the early adoption comments are exactly why Verizon waits a little longer and does additional testing on it's devices before releasing them to the public. Most people that hang out here know most of the comments that you already stated.
Most of those haters don't have any patients at all cause VZW is always late to the table but that is just VZW. VZW is late with everything why should new phones be any different. I have to have patients with VZW as I don't have another choice in the remote area where I live in NM. If you have at&t you have to go outside and wait for a signal and the make a phone call and hope you can get said what you have to say before you get cut off or drive to where you already know you can get a somewhat reliable signal. With VZW you can make phone calls from inside the house reliable. We even get a reliable LTE 4G inside our house as well. TMOB don't even think about them. Don't really know about Sprint but I don't even know where I could find out about sprint except on the internet.

Thanks again to OP for the insight and feed back on the S4 sure hope it come to VZW in 32 or 64 gb.

felloffthetruck

Trusted Member
Mar 31, 2013
Visit site
Most of those haters don't have any patients at all cause VZW is always late to the table but that is just VZW. VZW is late with everything why should new phones be any different. I have to have patients with VZW as I don't have another choice in the remote area where I live in NM. If you have at&t you have to go outside and wait for a signal and the make a phone call and hope you can get said what you have to say before you get cut off or drive to where you already know you can get a somewhat reliable signal. With VZW you can make phone calls from inside the house reliable. We even get a reliable LTE 4G inside our house as well. TMOB don't even think about them. Don't really know about Sprint but I don't even know where I could find out about sprint except on the internet.

Thanks again to OP for the insight and feed back on the S4 sure hope it come to VZW in 32 or 64 gb.

Sounds like you live in our house. AT&T, 7 out of 10 calls fail, Verizon, every call goes through 100% of the time.

Premium1

Trusted Member
Nov 7, 2011
Visit site
I am ok with the wait. I am sure they will have a software update waiting like the other versions got and who knows maybe even another for some unforseen bugs. People like to b*itch and moan about everything yet if they launched it and it had a ton of bugs they would whine and cry even more saying they should have waited to patch the bugs, Don't get your panties in a bunch people, it is almost here

Joe the Insider

Trusted Member
Feb 19, 2011
Visit site

Actually we waited less than 30 days. Who the hell wants to pay that kind of money, when developers are already prepared for unlocking and rooting the s4. The S4 google edition is a joke, I'd pay half and just get the Nexus 4 if I wanted a vanilla android phone.

Seriously, your making a big deal when all Verizon was doing was making sure the phone is ready for a bug free launch. I'd rather wait and have a working phone than deal with what other carriers have been dealing with.

Go to att if you're not happy.

Posted via Android Central App

thedeceiver

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Seriously, your making a big deal when all Verizon was doing was making sure the phone is ready for a bug free launch. I'd rather wait and have a working phone than deal with what other carriers have been dealing with.

Go to att if you're not happy.

Posted via Android Central App

LOL! Verizon has tons of buggy phone release. BlackBerry Curve, DROID Incredible, Thunderbolt... Shall I go on?

Verizon has a good network but the others are catching up. Plus they are using more global standards making phone deployments simpler, and richer (Google Galaxy S4, Nexus 4, etc.)

Where I live I am fortunate enough to experience the major carriers new 4G LTE networks. I have friends on them that say they are world's better than what was there previously.

I stay for one reason only: unlimited data. If AT&T offered it still, I would have left already.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 2