Switching from Iphone 5. Help with Getting Pics and Ringtones Over

wgragg

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site
I am switching from an Iphone 5 (actually, I traded it in). I backed it up to my Itunes on my PC yesterday. I used the Samsung Smartswitch Utility to transfer my contacts. I tried to uncheck everything else, but it transferred a bunch of videos, but to the phone rather than the SD card. I deleted them, but it does raise a question for me.

I want to transfer my pictures also, but I don't want them to go to the phone storage, but to the SD card. Is there any way I can do this?

Also, can I get my ringtones over from my Iphone to the S4, or are they not usable?

Any help is greatly appreciated!

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
I'm not too familiar with the Smartswitch Utility but if it doesn't have an option for you to select the destination storage (SD VS Internal) then my guess is that's defaulting to Internal Memory. You can move your files with the "My Files" app included with your phone or if you download a third party File Manager and move it there.

As for your pictures and ringtones, as long as they're not DRM-locked, they're totally usable. The easiest way to do this is with an USB cable and transfer them as if you were transferring to an USB Drive. Just plug your phone in, let the drivers install (it helps if you already have Samsung Kies installed in your computer), and you'll see the phone as an external drive, with different folders for the Internal Memory and the SD Card.

You can also use Kies to do this (an iTunes wannabe) or via WiFi with Kies Air if you don't have an USB Cable available (just make sure you're connected to the same WiFi as your computer).

Finally, you can also upload everything to a service like Dropbox or Google Drive and then just pull down everything to your phone with the provided apps for each service.

That's the beauty (and demise if you're a newcomer) of Android: You've got TONS of options.

Central n ohios best

Aug 11, 2013
Visit site
I'm not too familiar with the Smartswitch Utility but if it doesn't have an option for you to select the destination storage (SD VS Internal) then my guess is that's defaulting to Internal Memory. You can move your files with the "My Files" app included with your phone or if you download a third party File Manager and move it there.

As for your pictures and ringtones, as long as they're not DRM-locked, they're totally usable. The easiest way to do this is with an USB cable and transfer them as if you were transferring to an USB Drive. Just plug your phone in, let the drivers install (it helps if you already have Samsung Kies installed in your computer), and you'll see the phone as an external drive, with different folders for the Internal Memory and the SD Card.

You can also use Kies to do this (an iTunes wannabe) or via WiFi with Kies Air if you don't have an USB Cable available (just make sure you're connected to the same WiFi as your computer).

Finally, you can also upload everything to a service like Dropbox or Google Drive and then just pull down everything to your phone with the provided apps for each service.

That's the beauty (and demise if you're a newcomer) of Android: You've got TONS of options.

+1 for google drive and dropbox. Those to me seem like your best option.

Sent from my T-Mobile LG Escape using Tapatalk 2

wgragg

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site

Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately, I no longer have the Iphone. I traded it in when I bought the S4, so my pics would have to come from the Itunes library.

Newbie question here. If I put them on internal storage and use the Myfiles App, do I move the whole folder? And then how do I tell Gallery to look for them on the SD card?

paintdrinkingpete

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately, I no longer have the Iphone. I traded it in when I bought the S4, so my pics would have to come from the Itunes library.

Newbie question here. If I put them on internal storage and use the Myfiles App, do I move the whole folder? And then how do I tell Gallery to look for them on the SD card?

You may access the pics via iTunes, but those pictures have to be saved somewhere...I'm assuming on your local hard drive, though possibly iCloud? (It's been way to long since I've used iTunes to know for sure). As mentioned, you would just have to copy them from their current location to the phone or to a cloud service such as Google Drive or Dropbox.

Regarding the 2nd part of your question, any folder on your SDCard that contains pics should automatically be picked up by the Gallery on it's next refresh. You may not see them there instantly, but they will show up.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Yup, the Gallery automatically scans all of your memory allocations, be it Internal or External memory. If it finds a media file, it will show up in the Gallery.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
noniegreer74