is KitKat coming to S4 and how do I avoid it??

samkatz

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
I've been manually avoid updates for months...because I hate the new google maps and didn't want to screw up free hotspot tethering.. I every night, I go thru the routine of "postponing" update. Finally the other night, I must have pressed the wrong button and I updated to 4.3

so SVTP the hotspot switch app I bought a year ago stopped working
I installed FoxFi and it works fine, but it did warn not to install 4.4 Kitkat. Sounds like they will not be able to support it . Is KitKat on the way?:? Is there a way to just get the phone to stop looking for upgrades?? Am stuck w/the new Google Maps which I still can't stand but am using Waze for most of my navigation now.

inkdup102586

May 15, 2010
Visit site
What don't you like about Google maps?

As for hotspot. If you have a shared data plan. Hotspot is included.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Fairclough

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
Google maps is still the same basically. Its nothing to fear.

As for tethering, still free on my phone but I'm from Australia.

- Android Central App. N'oublions jamais l'Australie, Villers-Bretonneux.

samkatz

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
i found the old version more user friendly,..easier to keep track of my favorite places, etc

As far as the tethering, I'm on an individual plan and would have to pay more for the tethering. So I am stuck with a 2gb month and no tethering at all

samkatz

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
verizon....they stopped all unlimited data and stopped grandfathering accounts when you upgraded your phone. So I have 2g on individual plan, no tethering included at all.

tech_head

Q&A Team
Aug 25, 2010
Visit site
verizon....they stopped all unlimited data and stopped grandfathering accounts when you upgraded your phone. So I have 2g on individual plan, no tethering included at all.

All tiered plan should have tethering.
That is the agreement Verizon struck with the FCC.
The feature just needs activation. Only unlimited plans need to pay for tethering.

As for avoiding Kit Kat; root.

samkatz

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
i have to check w/VZ. When I went on the plan in 12/12 I assumed I'd get tethering and they said it's only for "shared" plan.

samkatz

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
tx. now I see Verizon has "new" plans..that claim you get *more*.....I want to see if I can get tethering without *paying* more. I'm paying 80.00 a month already for one phone

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cloudsofmana