VZW in-store charges for ESN Swap/SIM Card

Wireless Vet

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
Wow. OK. I stopped by the store which is on my way home, hoping for knowledgeable, helpful, courteous staff.

You clearly said you went in to "test". The reps I'm sure could tell you were "testing".

Here's a helpful hint. It's the 21st century. Anything that can be done in any store can be done online.

Ahowe125

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
I just recently upgraded from a Droid X to my current Droid Razr that I purchased used from a friend. Because he kept the sim card for his Razr Maxx, I went into the store to get a new card and get it activated. The CS Rep was very nice and did ask where I got the phone, when I told her I bought it from a friend she had no issues at all. She was friendly and we even chatted about the phone since she was using the same one. I was not informed about any fees at all, and would have gladly paid them. As some others have said your holding up a sales person who could be selling products. I'm sure they are paid a % of commission from sales, so it was not beneficial for her not to charge me something.

But the moral of my story is that I was not charged, I was not informed about a charge, and I was not given any grief about bringing the used phone into the store. It was a very easy process and I would do it again the same way. I'm in a CS industry, and I like the interaction of a real person helping me with my issues.

Reactions: cordoni and lpt2569

lpt2569

Feb 1, 2011
Visit site
You clearly said you went in to "test". The reps I'm sure could tell you were "testing".

Here's a helpful hint. It's the 21st century. Anything that can be done in any store can be done online.

Yes that's brilliant. Another perfect example of great customer service. Perhaps that should be the new slogan for all the carriers..."Hey dumba$s...anything I can do here in the store you can do online. Oh wait...then I won't have a job. Oh well you're still stupid for coming in here to get some service." :what:

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Xparent ICS Tapatalk 2

lpt2569

Feb 1, 2011
Visit site
I just recently upgraded from a Droid X to my current Droid Razr that I purchased used from a friend. Because he kept the sim card for his Razr Maxx, I went into the store to get a new card and get it activated. The CS Rep was very nice and did ask where I got the phone, when I told her I bought it from a friend she had no issues at all. She was friendly and we even chatted about the phone since she was using the same one. I was not informed about any fees at all, and would have gladly paid them. As some others have said your holding up a sales person who could be selling products. I'm sure they are paid a % of commission from sales, so it was not beneficial for her not to charge me something.

But the moral of my story is that I was not charged, I was not informed about a charge, and I was not given any grief about bringing the used phone into the store. It was a very easy process and I would do it again the same way. I'm in a CS industry, and I like the interaction of a real person helping me with my issues.

That's how an interaction in the store should go. I'm glad you had a good experience.

blackjaguar25

Thunderbolter
Jul 23, 2011
Visit site
Does anybody else find it ironic that the OP had a bad in-store experience and that Wireless Vet, a Verizon employee, is being a jerk about this whole thing? I would normally call someone out for acting like this, but it's obvious that Verizon trained you just how they wanted to.

Not everyone is tech savvy. Your complaining about someone not Googling an answer, and rather, calling into the direct place that holds the answer, is really funny. While you were investing your time complaining to a paying customer, you instead could have been wasting your time selling a new phone to someone. Thank God you dodged that bullet.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Android Central Forums

Reactions: bigdaddytee

glazedfaith

Jan 11, 2012
Visit site
Not so easy. As an example, wifes MAXX screen decided to take a dump and not come on. Went to activate her TB and it couldn't online. Call tech support and learn that its SIM invalidates itself when deactivated for more than a few days. Activated my old X for her online. The CLN shows up and go to activate it, won't activate online and I have to call tech support again to have them do it. Generally I do it (the old 3G devices online) but apparently the 4G devices can be quirky. :rolleyes:

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

This. Not every situation is SO EASY IT'S UNBELIEVABLE. Additionally, not everyone has skill with computers. some might say they shouldn't have a smartphone then, but have you tried to buy a feature phone lately? There are zero options in store, except for the ones thy keep in the back, which is actually 5 different colors of the same crap phone. They are basically forcing smartphones one people who can't use them, and it's time they accept the consequences.

craigrn16

Oct 7, 2010
Visit site
As a test, I stoppped into a VZW store yesterday to switch from one 4G phone to a GNEX I picked up on eBay. They grilled me about where I got the phone, they wanted to charge me $15 to switch from one phone to the other, plus they wanted to charge me $10 for the micro SIM card. I said no thanks and left.

I did the switch online for free and got the SIM card shipped for free as well. I knew I could do it for free online, I just wanted to see what would happen in the store...now I know. I mentioned that I could do it free online, and the CS rep said they charge for everything now in the stores because of the economy! Thought I would share this with you.

Really I gave my sister my old thunderbolt a month ago, went in store to activate and get a sim in store and it was free no issues. Took about 5 minutes. I think that employee was trying to rip you off bro.

Last edited:

Wireless Vet

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
Really I gave my sister my old thunderbolt a month ago, went in store to activate and get a sim in store and it was free no issues. Took about 5 minutes. I think that employee was trying to rip you off bro.

It also could have been the original posters attitude in the store. Bottom line, if they didn't buy the phone in the store, they aren't obligated to offer this at no charge. He also very clearly stated "AS A TEST"............many of us read these forums and know all the tricks customers try to pull. There is to much hanging over our heads to screw around with someone coming in to a store "AS A TEST"

Last edited:

Wireless Vet

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
Does anybody else find it ironic that the OP had a bad in-store experience and that Wireless Vet, a Verizon employee, is being a jerk about this whole thing? I would normally call someone out for acting like this, but it's obvious that Verizon trained you just how they wanted to.

It has nothing to do with any training I have received from Verizon Wireless. Sales reps don't get paid to help the helpless.

cordoni

Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
It has nothing to do with any training I have received from Verizon Wireless. Sales reps don't get paid to help the helpless.

I have tried to stay out of this, but can't let that one pass. Sales reps get paid to help customers helpless or tech savy, period. You really need to remember that the same helpless customer pays the same monthly bill that the tech savy one does. We would all certainly like it if our customers all were savy and made our lives easier, but guess what, that only happens if you work at Wallgreens ;) Customer service should always be top notch regardless of the customer. All customers are equal. If you look at companies that have abandoned customer service, Sears is a perfect example, you see failing companies. The ones that need help are by far the largest revenue stream. Also, if every customer did everything online, we might as well cede all retail business to Amazon and close all retail brick and mortar stores.

Finally, to quote Scott Adams about working, "Sometimes you have to do things you find unpleasant (dealing with non tech savy customers in this case) That is why they call it work and have to pay you for it. "

Wireless Vet

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
I have tried to stay out of this, but can't let that one pass. Sales reps get paid to help customers helpless or tech savy, period. You really need to remember that the same helpless customer pays the same monthly bill that the tech savy one does. We would all certainly like it if our customers all were savy and made our lives easier, but guess what, that only happens if you work at Wallgreens ;) Customer service should always be top notch regardless of the customer. All customers are equal. If you look at companies that have abandoned customer service, Sears is a perfect example, you see failing companies. The ones that need help are by far the largest revenue stream. Also, if every customer did everything online, we might as well cede all retail business to Amazon and close all retail brick and mortar stores.

I didn't say "Everything" should be done on line, but with 21st century technology, there are so many ways to do simple things online, and it just amazes me how so many Americans are ignorant to it or prefer to do it the hard way.

In my years with the company, one of the biggest complaints has been how busy our stores are. People often insist on coming to a store to have contacts transfered, when virtually every phone is now Backup Assistant capable, which is FREE. People come in to the stores to pay a bill, when that can be done online or by #pmt. People wait to have the back of their phone taken off because they can't figure it out. All things I would never ever consider getting in a car to do.

The company is working toward a "universal rep", where everyone is responsible for sales, tech support, and customer service. All while maintaining some of the highest quotas and targets we've ever seen.

It's easy to say "great customer service should be this or that", but when you're in the trenches, it's easier said than done.

lpt2569

Feb 1, 2011
Visit site
It's easy to say "great customer service should be this or that", but when you're in the trenches, it's easier said than done.

No its not. You are either good at customer service regardless of the circumstances, or you are not, in which case maybe find something else to do. As you have said repeatedly, its the 21st century, and customers have plenty more choices where they can take their business. And if your response is "fine take your business somewhere else", that says more than anyone could say about the state of customer service in the 21st century.

cordoni

Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
I didn't say "Everything" should be done on line, but with 21st century technology, there are so many ways to do simple things online, and it just amazes me how so many Americans are ignorant to it or prefer to do it the hard way.

In my years with the company, one of the biggest complaints has been how busy our stores are. People often insist on coming to a store to have contacts transfered, when virtually every phone is now Backup Assistant capable, which is FREE. People come in to the stores to pay a bill, when that can be done online or by #pmt. People wait to have the back of their phone taken off because they can't figure it out. All things I would never ever consider getting in a car to do.

The company is working toward a "universal rep", where everyone is responsible for sales, tech support, and customer service. All while maintaining some of the highest quotas and targets we've ever seen.

I will say this. My experience with Verizon customer service in store has always been great. I always go to a corporate store for this reason. However, I do sometimes go to a store to do something I could do online. Why? Because in a store I can talk to a person and fully understand what is happening with my account. Unfortunately, the big cell carriers are so well known for "gotcha moments" that I do not trust doing a transaction online will not alter my account in some way that I can't see online. In a store I can talk through the transaction in person to make sure everything is on the level. Like it or not the cell carriers have created this distrust, and online services will suffer until they remedy it.

cordoni

Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
And please don't take what I said as indicating you personally do not provide excellent customer service. I am sure you do, and are simply expressing how frustrating it can be to be facing a quota while having to show someone how to take the back case off their phone or some other item they could do easily if they read the manual or made a little effort to understand.

lpt2569

Feb 1, 2011
Visit site
I will say this. My experience with Verizon customer service in store has always been great. I always go to a corporate store for this reason. However, I do sometimes go to a store to do something I could do online. Why? Because in a store I can talk to a person and fully understand what is happening with my account. Unfortunately, the big cell carriers are so well known for "gotcha moments" that I do not trust doing a transaction online will not alter my account in some way that I can't see online. In a store I can talk through the transaction in person to make sure everything is on the level. Like it or not the cell carriers have created this distrust, and online services will suffer until they remedy it.

I've also had great customer service in my local Verizon store, and I went out of my way to tell people about it when it happened. I also told the rep's manager what a great experience we had. The rep allowed me and my wife to get different phones well beyond our 30 day trial period back when we started our current contract. He went above and beyond to help us leave and remain happy and loyal customers...we were happy with how we were treated and the result of our visit to the store.

The point of my recent visit to the corporate VZW store, and the point of my thread here, was not to "test" the reps (my choice of wording could have been better I admit), but to inquire about the process of activating a new phone, and the possibility of what charges may or may not be incurred to do a phone switch in the store. I also enjoy interacting with people face to face, which is whyI went into the store, and why I'm still in the CS business to a certain degree.

Noble_Logistics

May 28, 2011
Visit site
And please don't take what I said as indicating you personally do not provide excellent customer service. I am sure you do, and are simply expressing how frustrating it can be to be facing a quota while having to show someone how to take the back case off their phone or some other item they could do easily if they read the manual or made a little effort to understand.

I consider myself to be "Tech Savvy" and my wife is a retired computer network specialialist from a large school district in CA.

When we bought our TBs 18 months ago the sales person was more than happy to help us spend over $800 for phones and accessories in a 45 minute session.

In the following weeks we spent countless hours and several 25 mile trips to the corporate store to solve VZWs product problems. My wife tried using phone support but CS couldn't believe what her phone was doing and we had to SHOW them.

VZW, I'd love to stay out of the store to lighten your load, but I'd love even more for you to provide the proper support for an account that I pay over $300/mo for.

Maybe we should be charging VZW for wasting our time by releasing phones that don't work.

BTW, the first time I had to do battery pulls on our TBs I thought that the door was going break:D

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

glazedfaith

Jan 11, 2012
Visit site

Actually, that IS kind of the job of salespeople. The online store is for everyone else... If you really are a Verizon employee with your attitude toward customers, then God help Verizon. I've spent 6 years in retail/customer service, and the helpless are the ones keeping your business afloat.

It's about time people started realizing who they actually work for.

Wireless Vet

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
The point of my recent visit to the corporate VZW store, and the point of my thread here, was not to "test" the reps (my choice of wording could have been better I admit),

Don't give me that, you know damn well you went in to the store to "TEST" as you said yourself, so you could rush out and brag about it on Androidcentral. A waste of the reps time and a waste of yours. You deserved exactly what you got. You could have easily called the store before you went in (I know, the phone prompts are tough to follow).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress