Stop & think!

hokiesteve

Sep 11, 2011
Visit site
It's either Verizon or Comcast. Either way I get screwed, might as well keep it the way it is.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

Sounds like you would be much better off ditching DSL for Comcast then. Comcast may have a bad reputation but I can say that i've had nothing but fast reliable service with them. Customer service has been ok as well.

Its certainly worth a shot.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Android Central Forums

Reactions: Ry

TheAssailant

Jun 1, 2012
Visit site
I'll give Verizon one last shot. I've been contemplating Comcast, but I still need to look at all my limitations.

As far as Unlimited mobile goes, I wouldn't mind paying a small premium for it (maybe an extra $10-$30). If 99% or whatever top out at 2GB, why are they just ditching that 1%? How expensive is 2GB really?

hokiesteve

Sep 11, 2011
Visit site
I'll give Verizon one last shot. I've been contemplating Comcast, but I still need to look at all my limitations.

As far as Unlimited mobile goes, I wouldn't mind paying a small premium for it (maybe an extra $10-$30). If 99% or whatever top out at 2GB, why are they just ditching that 1%? How expensive is 2GB really?

Spectrum alone
700mhz c block 4.7 billion
Aws from cable companies 3.9 billion

That doesn't include design and build out costs, which aren't cheap for a nationwide network. Verizon has some major capital investments that they need to pay off.

Reactions: AZSALUKI

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
Sounds like you would be much better off ditching DSL for Comcast then. Comcast may have a bad reputation but I can say that i've had nothing but fast reliable service with them. Customer service has been ok as well.

Its certainly worth a shot.

I also had zero issues with Comcast. They were pleasant to deal with, and any time I had an issue (rare) they took care of it quickly.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

g2sws

Aug 9, 2011
Visit site
I think verizon is a good company. You guys shouldn't be so hard on them. I think I will send them an extra 100.00 dollars cause I don't think I am not paying enough and I am sure that on these new plans if you don't use all the data you pay for they will refund you at the end of the month. :D

natehoy

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site

Comcast maxes out at 250GB a month, and they only really enforce it in heavy-use areas (I've exceeded it a few times and never received a warning letter).

If 99% or whatever top out at 2GB, why are they just ditching that 1%? How expensive is 2GB really?

Because your 18GB monthly usage is about 25 times my monthly mobile usage. Therefore, you are costing them 25 times as much in terms of spectrum usage. I'm not making a moral argument here, you have unlimited and the right to use it, have at it. I'm making a financial argument - Verizon is charging us both the same money and you are using 25 times as much as I am.

If they convince you to leave, they have freed up enough spectrum to get 25 each of me to pay the same monthly fee you currently are.

They're a for-profit company.

What would YOU do in their shoes?

natehoy

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
I also had zero issues with Comcast. They were pleasant to deal with, and any time I had an issue (rare) they took care of it quickly.

Third recommendation for Comcast. I hated it when they bought out my local cable company (SusCom) who was excellent and responsive. But Comcast has continually upgraded my connection speed, usually for free or a very modest increase, and has been very responsive to problems on the few occasions I have them.

They're still a big corporation and I'd prefer a local alternative, but they have done OK by me.

anon(40232)

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
I was so happy when I finally ditched DSL for cable. Granted mine is through Metrocast instead of Comcast, but it is much nicer. 4G only has a slight edge in speed, and 4G isn't even in my area.

Malgus

Banned
Jul 6, 2012
Visit site
STOP & THINK PEOPLE!

Who says that a person who uses more than 2 gigs of data a month is a "data hog"? Where did this come from?? Why are some of us as consumers so accepting of this arbitrary number/notion?? The big 2 (& T-mobile) have done an excellent job conitioning us to think that Joe public is a bad man because he uses 6 gigs of UNLIMITED data. Why?

These companies have marketed & sold us a service where almost evertything we do with their product requires data. But don't worry - data is unlimited. Apps running in the background, pulling data at will, virtually out of our control. No need to worry - unlimited! No room for your music that you just downloaded using data? No problem - store it in the cloud! Then use your data again (& again) to listen to it. You have unlimited data right? Want to back up those precious pictures? "To the cloud!" Want to view em? Data. Want to keep with your friends thorugh social media? More data. Get the point? Data is like crack!

Then they pull the rug out from under us... One. Step. At. A. Time.

Stop & think

No more unlimited data plans for new customers. Most of us breathe a sigh of relief. "I'm grandfathered WHOHOO!"

Now Verizon is tightening the noose/ taking away a little more crack, with their latest plan which may or may not cost you more money. Stop & think. Would Verizon make a plan that takes less money out of your pocket? They know that most of us are going to choose the smallest data plan that we "think" we need. And then wait for the overages to pile up, making more $$. "Free Wifi teathering included". That's mighty white of Verizon. They know that browsing on your laptop consumes ALOT more data than on your mobile. As an example, just look at the difference between Android Central's mobile page & the same page on you laptop/home PC. The difference is startling. Verizon bean counters are wringing their hands in anticipation of you using "free" included teathering!

"I'll keep my grandfathered unlimited data by buying my next phone unsubsidized". Stop & think. You are now without contract, month to month. How long do you think Pig Red is going to let you stay month to month unlimited before they say "Uh uh. We need you to choose one of our (GREAT!) new plans" or "based on your usage, here's the plan "we think" best suits you"... Without a contract, they can tell you to pony up or beat sand. SO, I hope you just spent $600 plus on an unsubsidized phone that you can take to a different carrier.

"I don't use/need big data/I use free Wifi at home/work".
Stop & think. I guarantee you - EVERY SINGLE ISP IS WAITING TO SEE WHAT TRANSPIRES WHEN VILE-RIZON IMPLEMENTS THIS! Do you think that every other ISP, be it mobile or landline, will continue to offer unlimited data if Verizon can charge per data usage??? Do you think your work will continue to let you use their newly tiered data for your personal device? Where are you going to get your free crack when your home ISP charges per usage/exceeding data caps? It's already happening - look at Con-cast.

EVERY SINGLE ONE OF US, whether you are a Verizon customer or not, should be absolutly furious about these changes being foisted upon us. I dosen't matter if you don't have to "choose" this plan "right now"! Because, one way or another, this corporate greed is eventually going to affect us all. Every single one of us, Verizon or not, should make as much noise/ protest these changes as possible. And if that doesn't work, Yell in protest with your wallets & choose another carrier that will suit your needs without bending you over.

Welcome to america

Sent from the Darkside of the Force

Bob61

Oct 13, 2010
Visit site
I did the math i actually end up saving money by buying my phones unsubsidized

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk 2

Saved money compared to new plans, but you still end up paying more than you do today. VZW still wins as you've added more money to their bottom line by paying full price for the phone.

oldAGE

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
Well I too agree with the OP sentiment and do understand the spectrum issue too. It's what I do for a living. But also, understand that once off the tower, it's Carrier Ethernet solutions eventually to the backbone. These solutions are across dozens of local (last mile) relationships and partners. Yes, none of this is cheap but like data storage, it's a world of difference between now and 10 years ago (that was all the way back to 2002). Relatively speaking, bandwidth is cheap. Spectrum is only strained in densely populated areas which constitutes a small percentage of VZW's national footprint (not including their preferred extended network partners).

To me, the most offensive aspect of the contract plans are the nickle and dimes. With four phones (two smart, two messaging), a step to four 4G is an additional $120 "upgrade" fee on top of the $5500+ of two years of revenue. Five thousand and five hundred dollars.... I am rich... that's a lot of freakin' money and the extra $120 is that which just becomes offensive. And the service at my home is still the same "less than 3G and pushing 1X" as it has always been. They can't even deliver the promise of 2005 let alone the promise of 2012 even with 4G on the tower that serves my community.

The bottom line is the VALUE.