Mtn_Scott

Remain Calm!
Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
Everyone is in a panic about Verizon?s brand new share everything plan. They see their monthly cost skyrocketing. What everyone overlooks, Phil included, is that this is a premium Plan. They are not going to be eliminating all other plans, they are just adding an option. I would argue it is a DAMN good option compared to their current pricing if you need the premium features.
Share Everything Features:
UNLIMITED Minutes
UNLIMITED Text
Free hotspot
Shared data
The Key features here are UNLIMITED Voice and text and free hotspot.
Let?s look at what it would look at with my family (2 smart phones, one tablet, and one dumb) under the current pricing WITHOUT the hot spot feature added to both phones.
$120??.Unlimited Call and text First 2 lines
$50???Additional unlimited line
$60??...2GB data on two lines
$30??...2GB data on tablet
$260 total bill
The new Share everything
$80???2 Smartphones
$30???1 Dumb Phone
$10???1 Tablet
$80???6GB of shared data
$200 Total bill
The key to this comparison is the unlimited voice and text. Yes, they may have reduced their voice and text fees and raised their data, but that does not matter, it is all about the total cost. I would like to see what they would do for pricing on a 700 minute family plan. In theory it should be about $50-$90 cheaper. No I do not work for Verizon or any other telco.

To put it in the smith?s words:
Panic on the streets of London
Panic on the streets of Birmingham
I wonder to myself
Could life ever be sane again?

Lee_Bo

Apr 4, 2010
Visit site
Personally, I use very little phone and text messages, so those two features do not appeal to me.

You may want to explain more in detail about "free hotspot". I understand that you won't have to pay the monthly fee for the service, but it uses your shared data.

Issemann

May 20, 2010
Visit site
The key to this comparison is the unlimited voice and text. Yes, they may have reduced their voice and text fees and raised their data, but that does not matter, it is all about the total cost. I would like to see what they would do for pricing on a 700 minute family plan. In theory it should be about $50-$90 cheaper. No I do not work for Verizon or any other telco.

Your point is valid, but the real reason for panic is that Verizon is giving you more of what you don't need (talk & text) and less of what you do need (data). If I were you, I would analyze my last 6 bills and see how much talking and texting you and your family did. I bet you don't need unlimited.

I have a 700 minute shared voice plan with 2 smartphones and 1 dumbphone. Two of them have 1,000 text messaging plans at $10 each. If I move to a shared everything plan, I'll be paying $10 more per month for more voice & texts and less data.

"Thanks, but no thanks Verizon!"

Mtn_Scott

Remain Calm!
Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
But is that plan going away? Where is it written that you HAVE to use the share anything plan. It is simply a new plan option. Yes, unlimited data is going, but there will be other plans besides this. probably the existing family share plan where you pay for data per phone at $30 for 2 GB.

Mtn_Scott

Remain Calm!
Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
You may want to explain more in detail about "free hotspot". I understand that you won't have to pay the monthly fee for the service, but it uses your shared data.
Yeah, instead of the $10(?) they used to charge for this feature.

The great thing about this new plan is it does offer what people wanted. Let them determine how they use the data they pay for. IF they had a version that was not unlimited data and text for $20 less i think most people would jump on it.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
But is that plan going away? Where is it written that you HAVE to use the share anything plan. It is simply a new plan option. Yes, unlimited data is going, but there will be other plans besides this. probably the existing family share plan where you pay for data per phone at $30 for 2 GB.

There are conflicting reports.

Published interviews with Verizon representatives state that Share Everything will be the only plan going forward for new customers.

The Verizon Wireless Support Twitter account (@VZWSupport) has been giving conflicting information - but more reps there are saying that new customers will only have Share Everything as their plan option.

Insider sources have conflicting reports as well.

What we do know is that for existing customers, the current Individual and Family plans are still available. The only thing you can't keep when you upgrade is Unlimited Data. You will either have to choose a tiered individual line data plan or move to Share Everything.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Android Central Forums

Mtn_Scott

Remain Calm!
Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
So what they are saying is that Family plans are going away. What about a family plan with only one smartphone? To be in share everything you have to have two of them. Having one ultra high end family plan makes no sense.

Mercury81

Jan 26, 2012
Visit site
Is everyone forgetting you have a choice to switch carriers like millions of phone customers do every single day, it's your right and duty if you don't like what Verizon is offering you.:):beer:;):p:thumbup:

from Evo4GLTE on Android Central

Mtn_Scott

Remain Calm!
Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
Exactly. And that is why Verizon is not ONLY going to offering a single ULTRA HIGH END family plan. They are not stupid, reps might be, and the communication might suck, but they are not going to lose all future new business because of this.

GNex Girl

Feb 5, 2012
Visit site
To be in share everything you have to have two of them.
I don't think this is true. One smartphone with unlimited talk and text is $40 and then minimum 1GB data for $50 = $90 includes being able to use your phone as a mobile hotspot if your phone is capable.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
So what they are saying is that Family plans are going away. What about a family plan with only one smartphone? To be in share everything you have to have two of them. Having one ultra high end family plan makes no sense.

The publicly posted information points to Share Everything being the only plan.

For the individual smartphone user, that means it'll be a minimum of $90/month to sign up for Verizon.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Exactly. And that is why Verizon is not ONLY going to offering a single ULTRA HIGH END family plan. They are not stupid, reps might be, and the communication might suck, but they are not going to lose all future new business because of this.

Until 6/28 rolls around, we won't know for sure - unless Verizon releases a statement before then saying individual plans will remain available to new customers.