Correcting Some of the Shared Everything Misinformation

corki2

Nov 5, 2010
Visit site
Ouch, you have a long way to go but the bright side is you'll be eligible for the next big thing.

Yeah. I'm lucky I have a good phone that works great. I just had bigger screen envy. By the time I can upgrade the SG3 might even be free. :)

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2

Chondog

Apr 28, 2010
Visit site
Here's a question.... If I pay for a share plan with a lot of data (20gb), would vz throttle if I'm using a lot at one time? I would like to think this wouldn't happen since we're paying for it all every month whether we actually use it or not. Just a question.....

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
Here's a question.... If I pay for a share plan with a lot of data (20gb), would vz throttle if I'm using a lot at one time? I would like to think this wouldn't happen since we're paying for it all every month whether we actually use it or not. Just a question.....

No, you would be entitled to use as much as you want since you're being charged for it.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site

You will be charged for every GB over your allotted 20, $15 per GB over.

You will not be throttled.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Android Central Forums

hokiesteve

Sep 11, 2011
Visit site

Not a chance. You might even get priority.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Android Central Forums

Reactions: bed269

fortigger

Jan 2, 2012
Visit site
First an upgrade is getting a new subsidized phone while extending your contract which you will lose unlimited data. So you can not upgrade without changing your plan. If you pay full price that is not an upgrade.
Second the myth about data hogs is just that a myth. Spectrum has nothing to do with the amount of data, it has to do with the amount of users. Me using 10gs and you using 1g does not change anything. Now an place with 200 users will be faster than a place with 2000 because more people are using the spectrum. It has nothing to do with the amount of data. If you don't want your speeds to slow down tell Big Red to stop adding people to the network.
Third Big Red is about making money which is great, that is what they are supposed to do. With everything going in the cloud and apps using more data it was a smart move for them. I think most people will be stuck paying a lot more in a year or two because everything will run through data.

Last edited:

tirith

Resident Linux Fiend
Apr 4, 2011
Visit site
First an upgrade is getting a new subsidized phone while extending your contract which you will lose unlimited data. So you can not upgrade without changing your plan. If you pay full price that is not an upgrade.
Second the myth about data hogs is just that a myth. Spectrum has nothing to do with the amount of data, it has to do with the amount of users. Me using 10gs and you using 1g does not change anything. Now an place with 200 users will be faster than a place with 2000 because more people are using the spectrum. It has nothing to do with the amount of data. If you don't want your speeds to slow done tell Big Red to stop adding people to the network.
Third Big Red is about making money which is great, that is what they are supposed to do. With everything going in the cloud and apps using more data it was a smart move for them. I think most people will be stuck paying a lot more in a year or two because everything will run through data.

Telling big red to stop adding people is like telling me to stop going to work... It screws with our money.

Everything there makes sense, and my mom has verizon on an unlimited 3g plan, and even so, as a light user, goes well over 3gb of data a month..., imagine in a couple years to come when the phone does even more data usage without us knowing...

The only way to conserve is to not have any apps refresh automatically and turn sync off... Or use wifi all the time

Sent from my photon 4g(wimax) using Tapatalk 2

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
Telling big red to stop adding people is like telling me to stop going to work... It screws with our money.

Everything there makes sense, and my mom has verizon on an unlimited 3g plan, and even so, as a light user, goes well over 3gb of data a month..., imagine in a couple years to come when the phone does even more data usage without us knowing...

The only way to conserve is to not have any apps refresh automatically and turn sync off... Or use wifi all the time

Sent from my photon 4g(wimax) using Tapatalk 2

I only have my G-Mail and regular e-mail sync up automatically because that's really I need to do it. The e-mail is every hour because the Xfinity application won't allow for no automatic updates for some odd reason. But even still, I don't do this to conserve data but rather battery. Do I really need the weather to update all day? I don't use Facebook because I feel social networking is a virus to society. Twitter is only used to connect with game developers for my favourite games so that's not on automatic update.

The point I'm trying to make here isn't that you should be like me but rather some of us won't use a whole lot of data. However, if more major applications come out that require constant data access, I could see this problem getting out of control.

YourMobileGuru

Formerly VZWRocks
Feb 25, 2010
Visit site
I posted this already but I'm not sure if you understood. You want to upgrade a device from her line which has unlimited data. Her line is the line that's eligible for an upgrade, correct? If so, you would be signing a NEW contract on her data plan so she would lose unlimited data. If I'm wrong on this due to it being a Family plan, please bump in and correct me. But I don't see how Verizon would allow this as it makes it far too easy to beat the system.

Yes I understood well. Verizon calls this an Alternate Upgrade. I do this all the time with my own devices. When you do this you are actually extending the contract of the line eligible for the upgrade (hers) -- regardless of what line you put the equipment on -- and the other line (yours) becomes eligible for upgrade at the normal time.

You can try performing the upgrade on her line and then doing an ESN swap later but you will need a new SIM card which means visiting a store or calling customer service so you need to talk to someone. I have heard different things as to weather that would work or not since it is something they look out for.

YourMobileGuru

Formerly VZWRocks
Feb 25, 2010
Visit site
That's what the average user is using because the average user is a 3g customer and at 3g speeds it is difficult for normal users to use more.

It might be difficult but it is definitely possible I used to do it regularly lol.

But regardless that is something that you need to remember: the vast majority of Verizon's customer base are still on 3G and it wasn't until the end of last year that they all but stopped selling 3G smartphones (they still sell 3g basic messaging phones), which means that it will be almost 2 years before the bulk of the smartphone customers upgrade and are on 4G -- not to mention the basic phone customers who fall into this too.

And let's not forget this is a family plan and share plan that 1 gig is not a shareable amount by any means,

With all due respect this is another place where you dont know what you are talking about. I run into many customers who use less than 500mb a month regularly. Some are just light users. Some use Blackberry or iPhone that dont use as much data. I would not try to share iGB with more than 2 people but it's definitely doable with 2, and for $10 more they can double that. But yes for most people with smartphones the plan they are going to want is the 2GB plan or better.

This whole thing is about Verizon getting people to pay for only the data they need. Those who want more can pay for the next allotment by calling it in or using My Verizon, OR use WiFi more and use less data.

and they are charging obscene rates per device 40 to add a device is crazy when the average cost is 20 currently.

A little high maybe but not obscene. For your $40 ($30 for a basic phone) you get access to the network, unlimited talk (which costs $50/line now), unlimited text ($20 now, $30 for a share plan), the ability to use hotspot and tether (which costs $20-$30 now).

And the free texting, now you got me really laughing the cost for vzn testing, internal cost that is, to maintain the text servers is less the 80 cents a year pet user and they charge 10 to 20 per user to use voice bandwidth that is going unused now anyway.

Nonetheless it is something that they do and have always charged extra for.

GREED. And the average user you talk about will be screwed after the first couple of months if they use their device at all. VZN needs to remember that they are calling it a share plan not individual plan.

You have an interesting definition of "at all" -- over time the customers who save money will probably see their bills go up as they use more data this is true; but it is always their choice to use more or less data. The only people who will be "screwed" as you put it are those who use obscene amounts of data like a lot of the people who frequent these forums.

Most people dont like it when major changes are made like this. They tried to come up with plans that were good for most usage cases, but as always happens there are exceptions, and people who dont initially see the benefits. Yes some people do feel that they are getting "screwed" and for that reason the old plans are still available to existing customers with the exception of unlimited data.

No one likes the loss of unlimited data plans but it was a finical inevitability. Verizon is doing it, AT&T is doing it. T-Mobile is using throttling for now but eventually they will be doing it too, and even Sprint (no matter how many times Dan Hesse denies it) will reach a point when they have no choice either. Like it or not these networks cost money to expand and maintain, and they would be unable to do so if they kept thongs as they are.

YourMobileGuru

Formerly VZWRocks
Feb 25, 2010
Visit site
Please forgive me but I am going to address several posts at once since I wan't able to come online yesterday and things kind of exploded lol :)

There is an option to transfer the upgrade to another line when you log onto your account. Choose eligibility for all lines and the choice is there to transfer it.

The upgrade transfer online only stays for that session and reverses when you log out and you STILL end extending the contract of the person who was eligible (in this case the daughter) and unlimited data goes away.

Awesome, I'm surprised they allow this but I'm glad they do.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

(see above)

Last night I did a"chat" with a Verizon rep. She said I could transfer the upgrade to my line, switch my line from unlimited to 2g and get a subsidized phone and nothing else on my account would change. I just called Verizon to verify and the girl I just spoke to said if I switch my line to 2g, my daughters line would lose unlimited as well. Regardless of which line is eligible. Her words were "if one line switches data plans, all the lines have to switch". So...thanks Verizon for the excellent customer service. It's clear as mud now. :)

The second re was mostly corect. Neither of you have to change the plan itself ore move to the share plans but the daugher has to loose unlimited data just as the dad already has (if he ever had it).

I finally got a Verizon rep who knows her stuff. I can NOT switch my daughter's upgrade to my line without her losing her unlimited data. If I wait until my upgrade date, I can switch my line to a 2g plan, upgrade my device and everything else remains the same on our Nationwide Family Share plan. She ran an analysys on our lines and we would pay $30.00 more per month if we switch to the Share Everything plan. I decided I'm keeping my Rezound for a while. :)

I'll resist the temptation to say "I told you so" ;-)

No they will not throttle you. They dont really care how much data you use as long as you are paying for it.

I only have my G-Mail and regular e-mail sync up automatically because that's really I need to do it. The e-mail is every hour because the Xfinity application won't allow for no automatic updates for some odd reason. But even still, I don't do this to conserve data but rather battery. Do I really need the weather to update all day? I don't use Facebook because I feel social networking is a virus to society. Twitter is only used to connect with game developers for my favourite games so that's not on automatic update.

The point I'm trying to make here isn't that you should be like me but rather some of us won't use a whole lot of data. However, if more major applications come out that require constant data access, I could see this problem getting out of control.

I think it all evens out int he end and honestly if it really is that bad you can add usage controls to a line ($5) and limit the data it is allowed to use, but I would think that there is a setting somewhere that you can decrease the amount of data the app is using (try emailing the developer).

Let's keep this thread going, asking and answering questions. I want this to be a place where people can get accurate answers to their questions about the new plans not the inaccurate info that is often available elsewhere.

Reactions: corki2

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
VZWRocks said:
I think it all evens out int he end and honestly if it really is that bad you can add usage controls to a line ($5) and limit the data it is allowed to use, but I would think that there is a setting somewhere that you can decrease the amount of data the app is using (try emailing the developer).

I've always found it quite ridiculous that Verizon charges $5 to limit usage on a line. But just like Visual Voicemail which has it's own cost, there are free alternatives on my phone that are offered for free. I'd love to sit around and bash on Verizon for charging for every little thing but I'll take the high road and skip that. The only reason I'm doing this though is because my bill is reasonable and Verizon puts that money back into their network unlike other service providers.

Also, as I said earlier, I will need to do the math as to whether it's worth upgrading at a subsidized price or pay full retail when the time comes. My main concern is that while I can easily live with 2 GB per month without even thinking twice, it's that exact thing that makes me also realize I'd need to check up on my data consumption every so often. Had Verizon offered 4GB or 5GB of data for $30, I think more people would accept this. Granted, I'm not talking about Share Everything but rather those "behind the scenes" single line plans that exist when asked about. This same pricing plan should have been applied to the new Share Everything plans and more people would be open to this. As it stands now, it feels like a slap in the face to customers who have been with them for a while. Offer data hungry devices at a steep cost and data is at a premium. The cost for 1GB on this plan is horrendous and I don't understand how that will work for anyone on a 4G device if it's shared. But as you said, there are some out there who it works for so it's great they offered it. I just wish there was more competition at this moment that forced companies to fight for realistic data caps at a reasonable price. Until this happens, Verizon is going to keep it's reputation as being priced to high for many cell phone consumers.

As a side note, who even uses many minutes any more? I'd much rather talk on the phone but no one seems to want to do their business over voice any more. It's all e-mail or text messaging so this unlimited talk does me no good. Oh well, it's not like we're forced into these plans so I can deal with it. I'll be staying on a solo plan even if I upgrade with a subsidized phone.

MrSmith317

Mr Fix-It
Mar 1, 2010
Visit site
Share everything(or as someone else said, share my wallet plan) is garbage. The only way to do anything positive about it is to leave Verizon. Buy a GSM Galaxy nexus for $350 and just leave. Go to Net10, Go to t-mobile prepaid or AT&T prepaid, but jump ship before they just flat out steal your unlimited away.

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
Share everything(or as someone else said, share my wallet plan) is garbage. The only way to do anything positive about it is to leave Verizon. Buy a GSM Galaxy nexus for $350 and just leave. Go to Net10, Go to t-mobile prepaid or AT&T prepaid, but jump ship before they just flat out steal your unlimited away.

I said this in another thread and I'll say it here. While I respect your opinion and we're all entitled to one, this doesn't work for most of us. I've tried T-Mobile and AT&T while my friends have or had Sprint. The signal quality is awful and unreliable thus ruining any point to have a cell phone. Besides, all of those companies mentioned above will follow the same path as Verizon and ditch unlimited data sooner or later.

Reactions: YourMobileGuru

tirith

Resident Linux Fiend
Apr 4, 2011
Visit site
I said this in another thread and I'll say it here. While I respect your opinion and we're all entitled to one, this doesn't work for most of us. I've tried T-Mobile and AT&T while my friends have or had Sprint. The signal quality is awful and unreliable thus ruining any point to have a cell phone. Besides, all of those companies mentioned above will follow the same path as Verizon and ditch unlimited data sooner or later.

In the rate instance I don't have sprint connectivity, I roam on vzw...

Sent from my MB855 using Tapatalk 2

YourMobileGuru

Formerly VZWRocks
Feb 25, 2010
Visit site
I've always found it quite ridiculous that Verizon charges $5 to limit usage on a line. But just like Visual Voicemail which has it's own cost, there are free alternatives on my phone that are offered for free.

I was really hoping that they would offer something for free that was just for data usage. Still hoping that if enough people complain they will do just that. Usage Controls lets you do much more than that and I understand why they charge for it.

I'd love to sit around and bash on Verizon for charging for every little thing but I'll take the high road and skip that. The only reason I'm doing this though is because my bill is reasonable and Verizon puts that money back into their network unlike other service providers.

And that (bolded) is the main reason I love Verizon. You pay more but you the network service is second to none.

Also, as I said earlier, I will need to do the math as to whether it's worth upgrading at a subsidized price or pay full retail when the time comes. My main concern is that while I can easily live with 2 GB per month without even thinking twice, it's that exact thing that makes me also realize I'd need to check up on my data consumption every so often. Had Verizon offered 4GB or 5GB of data for $30, I think more people would accept this.

When AT&T replaced their 2GB plan with a 3GB one and Verizon extended the double data promo I thought for sure that Verizon was going to just keep that for LTE devices but for whatever reason they didn't.

Granted, I'm not talking about Share Everything but rather those "behind the scenes" single line plans that exist when asked about. This same pricing plan should have been applied to the new Share Everything plans and more people would be open to this. As it stands now, it feels like a slap in the face to customers who have been with them for a while. Offer data hungry devices at a steep cost and data is at a premium. The cost for 1GB on this plan is horrendous and I don't understand how that will work for anyone on a 4G device if it's shared. But as you said, there are some out there who it works for so it's great they offered it. I just wish there was more competition at this moment that forced companies to fight for realistic data caps at a reasonable price. Until this happens, Verizon is going to keep it's reputation as being priced to high for many cell phone consumers.

Honestly I dont think that they care about the perception. They bring up the network quality and it works for them because they are head and shoulders ahead of the rest. Even AT&T is a year behind them in their LTE roll out and does not seem to be as aggressive at it. This combined with their track record for the 3G roll out makes me very skeptical that they will be done with theirs at the same time as Verizon. They can call HSPA+ 4G all they want but it's not LTE and while it may be capable of close to those speeds theoretically in the real world it is no where near LTE speed.

As a side note, who even uses many minutes any more? I'd much rather talk on the phone but no one seems to want to do their business over voice any more. It's all e-mail or text messaging so this unlimited talk does me no good. Oh well, it's not like we're forced into these plans so I can deal with it. I'll be staying on a solo plan even if I upgrade with a subsidized phone.

A lot of people have the higher minute voice plans as a form of security blanket. They want Friends and Family even though their regular minutes and Friends and Family minutes are well below the base plans.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty