Page 72 of 111 FirstFirst ... 69707172737475 ... LastLast
Results 1,776 to 1,800 of 2772
Like Tree263Likes

Default Re: [Instruction]How to Keep Unlimited Data on Verizon

I received a VIP mailer from Sams Club offering the S4 for .97 cents for Thanksgiving.

I have 2 smartphones and 1 basic phone.

1 smartphone is due for an upgrade, but I will be transferring the upgrade to the basic phone. I want to purchase the phone from Sams Club then transfer it to my smartphone to keep my unlimited data.

I read on page 1 of this thread that doing this switch-a-roo would not work if the phone was not purchased from a VZW store. Can someone confirm?

Just want to clarify before I begin, sorry if its already been answered.

1. This entire click can be done online right? The process is just activation of new phone, deactivation, reactivation of old phone, and then activation of new phone on unlimited data account. Is that correct?

2. How do you actually get the phone in your hand to do this trick? It seems like Verizon will activate your phone for you if you bought it under contract for cheaper price. Do I let them activate it on the tiered account and then go home and deactivate, reactive old phone, and active new phone on unlimited account?

3. If I use a family members phone as the teired phone, nothing on it will change right? (family member is worried about losing pics and data etc)

Thanks
    Last edited by Hiphiphooray; 11-13-2013 at 07:33 PM.

I just did this tonight, and did it all online.

I have an old AC Family Shareplan 400.
    Started with:
    - Two lines, Galaxy Nexus line 1 - unlimited data, Flip phone on line 2. Both upgrade eligible

1. Ordered LG G2 last weekend, arrived today. When I ordered, ordered as upgrade to flip phone, with 2Gb data plan
    2. Went online tonight, activated on line 2 (replacing flip phone).
    3. Verified it was working, flip phone deactivated
    4. Did the online chat to re-activate flip phone. Rep on phone just had me turn off LG G2, turn on flip phone, dial *228 on flip phone, followed prompts (had to dial twice - didn't work first time). Had to enter billing password (which is last 4 of your SSN, or if you are an alternate account manager, whatever 4 digit billing password you choose). Data plan came off automatically - verizon rep on chat says the data plan comes off automatically since its a flip phone.
    5. Verified flip phone was working, no data plan on line 2.
    6. Now I was back to where I started (old smartphone unlimited data line 1, flip phone line 2, new LG G2 not activated on any line)
    7. Went online, selected "Activate or switch devices"
    8. Pointed to my old smartphone, followed online menu, it allowed me to choose my new LG G2 (as a previously activated device). The last screen told me to take the sim out of my old smartphone (Galaxy Nexus) and put it in the LG G2. Did that, turned the LG G2 on, and all was working.
    9. Finished with LG G2 line 1 - unlimited data - line eligible for an upgrade, old flip phone line 2, with a 2 year contract, old Galaxy Nexus not activated.

Notes:
    a. My new LG G2 came with a sim card pre-installed and another sim card not installed. That confused me, but apparently I could use either one. I used the one that was pre-installed.
    b. There can be a short delay online when you make these changes, so be a little patient.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hiphiphooray View Post
    Just want to clarify before I begin, sorry if its already been answered.

1. This entire click can be done online right? The process is just activation of new phone, deactivation, reactivation of old phone, and then activation of new phone on unlimited data account. Is that correct?

2. How do you actually get the phone in your hand to do this trick? It seems like Verizon will activate your phone for you if you bought it under contract for cheaper price. Do I let them activate it on the tiered account and then go home and deactivate, reactive old phone, and active new phone on unlimited account?

3. If I use a family members phone as the teired phone, nothing on it will change right? (family member is worried about losing pics and data etc)

Thanks

Need some help, currently on a family plan with 4 lines. 2 lines have unlimited data and 2 lines are dumb phones. 1 unlimited line and 2 of the dumb phone lines are eligible for upgrade.

I currently have the unlimited line available for upgrade and I want to upgrade to a Moto X but do not want to lose my unlimited data. From what I have read I can use the dumb phone upgrade to get the Moto X, activate it on that line and add 2gb data, re-activate the dumb phone and data drops off allowing me to activate the Moto X on my unlimited line keeping the unlimited data.

Now my question is now I would have 1 dumb phone with an eligible upgrade and my unlimited line with an eligible upgrade. Would it be possible for me to transfer my upgrade (unlimited line) to the dumb phone that now isn't eligible (because I used it's upgrade to save my unlimited)? If I transfer it and we use it on the dumb phone line will it kill my unlimited data?

Reason I ask this is both dumb phones desperately need to be upgraded, I want to keep my unlimited data but am hoping the above scenario will work. Appreciate any help in clearing this up!

Also if the above isn't possible is Verizon running any promo's on data that aren't advertised (i.e. they ran the 4gb data for 2gb price when I got my GNexus) and would they be eligible to be used with MotoMaker?

Thanks all!

Quote Originally Posted by Veras View Post

I currently have the unlimited line available for upgrade and I want to upgrade to a Moto X but do not want to lose my unlimited data. From what I have read I can use the dumb phone upgrade to get the Moto X, activate it on that line and add 2gb data, re-activate the dumb phone and data drops off allowing me to activate the Moto X on my unlimited line keeping the unlimited data.

Now my question is now I would have 1 dumb phone with an eligible upgrade and my unlimited line with an eligible upgrade. Would it be possible for me to transfer my upgrade (unlimited line) to the dumb phone that now isn't eligible (because I used it's upgrade to save my unlimited)? If I transfer it and we use it on the dumb phone line will it kill my unlimited data?
    This won't take away your unlimited data, I just did that a few days ago to get the g2 (I did store pick up and the sales associate did all the work since they wouldn't let me leave without activating the phone)...as long as you activate the phone on the dumb line first then you are good to go

The max plan is available with 6gb of data for same $30 if you wanted to give up unlimited...but that's not required since you can do the steps above

Sent from my LG G2 using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by tjrssibelle View Post
    This won't take away your unlimited data, I just did that a few days ago to get the g2 (I did store pick up and the sales associate did all the work since they wouldn't let me leave without activating the phone)...as long as you activate the phone on the dumb line first then you are good to go

The max plan is available with 6gb of data for same $30 if you wanted to give up unlimited...but that's not required since you can do the steps above

Sent from my LG G2 using Tapatalk 2
    Thanks for the quick response! That's what I figured but will I then in turn be able to transfer my unused upgrade to the dumb phone for them to use without it affected my unlimited data?

Sorry for the paranoia!

Quote Originally Posted by Veras View Post
    Thanks for the quick response! That's what I figured but will I then in turn be able to transfer my unused upgrade to the dumb phone for them to use without it affected my unlimited data?

Sorry for the paranoia!
    From what I got anecdotally from tx_tuff, that is correct; you will not lose unlimited data doing a transfer from your unlimited line to a dumb phone. If by some chance you lose unlimited data within 14 days, you can return the phone and Verizon MUST revert everything the way it does. However, it won't even come to that, since transferring an upgrade doesn't kill unlimited data. If anything, the unlimited data line now has a new 2 year contract. Verizon can't touch you for that long...

In short, you'll be fine...if you go back a lot of pages, I had the same paranoia just doing the alternate upgrade, but that worked out fine.

Quote Originally Posted by cg101 View Post
    From what I got anecdotally from tx_tuff, that is correct; you will not lose unlimited data doing a transfer from your unlimited line to a dumb phone. If by some chance you lose unlimited data within 14 days, you can return the phone and Verizon MUST revert everything the way it does. However, it won't even come to that, since transferring an upgrade doesn't kill unlimited data. If anything, the unlimited data line now has a new 2 year contract. Verizon can't touch you for that long...

In short, you'll be fine...if you go back a lot of pages, I had the same paranoia just doing the alternate upgrade, but that worked out fine.
    What he said, you keep the unlimited but you are under a new 2 year contract.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

However, it won't even come to that, since transferring an upgrade doesn't kill unlimited data. If anything, the unlimited data line now has a new 2 year contract. Verizon can't touch you for that long....
    Actually, they can decide to take away unlimited data at any time during your contract period, but they have to notify you in advance and you should then be given the opportunity to cancel your contract without an ETF penalty if you decide to.

Quote Originally Posted by jlmorris View Post
    Actually, they can decide to take away unlimited data at any time during your contract period, but they have to notify you in advance and you should then be given the opportunity to cancel your contract without an ETF penalty if you decide to.
    Even if you are right (in regards to what you said before the word "but"), I would definitely drop Verizon like a bad habit, ETF-free. Only reason I have Verizon is because of the sweet unlimited data.

However, if what you said was correct, it would have happened already. There is a difference between "can", "will" and "should."

I believe Verizon "won't" but we will see. In the meantime, I will enjoy all my Verizon Unlimited Data provides me.

I just went through all of this with VZW yesterday to take advantage of the $50 discount on MotoMaker this weekend. They informed me that if I did anything with the upgrade on the smartphone line (transfer the upgrade from it to the feature phone line OR transfer an upgrade from an eligible line to the smartphone line), you will lose your unlimited data. See Post# 1778 for instructions on what to do. That's exactly my situation (may not be yours) and what I did, but I did it all in-store with some helpful sales reps. Good luck!

- - - Updated - - -

I just went through all of this with VZW yesterday to take advantage of the $50 discount on MotoMaker this weekend. They informed me that if I did anything with the upgrade on the smartphone line (transfer the upgrade from it to the feature phone line OR transfer an upgrade from an eligible line to the smartphone line), you will lose your unlimited data. See Post# 1778 for instructions on what to do. That's exactly my situation (may not be yours) and what I did, but I did it all in-store with some helpful sales reps. Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Nhim View Post
    I received a VIP mailer from Sams Club offering the S4 for .97 cents for Thanksgiving.

1 smartphone is due for an upgrade, but I will be transferring the upgrade to the basic phone. I want to purchase the phone from Sams Club then transfer it to my smartphone to keep my unlimited data.

I read on page 1 of this thread that doing this switch-a-roo would not work if the phone was not purchased from a VZW store. Can someone confirm?

Even if you are right (in regards to what you said before the word "but"), I would definitely drop Verizon like a bad habit, ETF-free. Only reason I have Verizon is because of the sweet unlimited data.

However, if what you said was correct, it would have happened already. There is a difference between "can", "will" and "should."

I believe Verizon "won't" but we will see. In the meantime, I will enjoy all my Verizon Unlimited Data provides me.
    Absolutely, I will also enjoy the unlimited data on my lines, especially since they also have the $20 talk and data discount on each line as well.

I'm pointing out that making a statement that VZW has to keep you on unlimited because you just re-upped to a new two year contract is not correct. They "can" change it, I wasn't saying they "will" change it.

To be clear, I'm saying they "can" decide to no longer allow it period and take it away from anyone whether they are under contract or month-to-month. Hopefully they won't for a long time.
    Last edited by jlmorris; 11-17-2013 at 08:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Nhim View Post

Some third party dealers will hit you with their own ETF if you switch the phone from the line you upgraded within 181 days. Dell ($400), Wirefly are a couple that do this. Best Buy is a third party that does not.

For Sam's Club, you will need to ask them, unless someone comes along and responds to your post.

Quote Originally Posted by jlmorris View Post
    Some third party dealers will hit you with their own ETF if you switch the phone from the line you upgraded within 181 days. Dell ($400), Wirefly are a couple that do this. Best Buy is a third party that does not.

For Sam's Club, you will need to ask them, unless someone comes along and responds to your post.
    Simplexity fulfills both Sam's Club and Dell and a number of other places. Their online site is Wirefly. Anything using Simplexity will have similar terms on the secondary etf of $400

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3 via Tapatalk Pro
    Thanked by:

Quote Originally Posted by dpham00 View Post
    Simplexity fulfills both Sam's Club and Dell and a number of other places. Their online site is Wirefly. Anything using Simplexity will have similar terms on the secondary etf of $400

Does Simplexity also fulfull Walmart? Part of my reason for asking is that Walmart has some decent deals for Black Friday and I would think my chances of getting Sam's Club to match would be higher if they handled both.

Quote Originally Posted by diesteldorf View Post
    Does Simplexity also fulfull Walmart? Part of my reason for asking is that Walmart has some decent deals for Black Friday and I would think my chances of getting Sam's Club to match would be higher if they handled both.
    Walmart owns Sam's Club, and is fulfilled by Simplexity.

Thanked by:

Quote Originally Posted by dpham00 View Post

Thank you very much for that info! I will file that away for future reference.

Here's a dilemma. Both my wife and I are eligible for upgrades. My wife is happy with her dumb phone that I was going to use eventually to preserve my unlimited data. My son's eligibility comes up in April of next year. Now turns out he wants an upgrade to a smartphone for Christmas. What does the latter mean for making my future back-and-forth switch. If I were to transfer my wife's upgrade to my son, I can't use her line to upgrade again and to preserve my data. What happens if I transfer my upgrade to him and then use my wife's line for my new smartphone? Or transferring my upgrade to him makes me ineligible for the scheme to keep unlimited data?

Global Posts
    402 Global Posts
    ROM
    stock rooted

Okay. Just checking - does this loophole still work as of today?

Quote Originally Posted by nyry View Post
    Okay. Just checking - does this loophole still work as of today?
    Try it out and let us know.

Global Posts
    402 Global Posts
    ROM
    stock rooted

Quote Originally Posted by tx_tuff View Post
    Try it out and let us know.

lol well I went to my local VZW store and I talked to the rep about doing the switch and he said that he does the same thing, but since I used my flip phone line already for an upgrade like last year, I would have to add ANOTHER flip phone line to use for its upgrade. He also said that now the terms have changed and that I would forfeit my unlimited on my own smartphone line if I transferred the upgrade to the flip phone line

lol well I went to my local VZW store and I talked to the rep about doing the switch and he said that he does the same thing, but since I used my flip phone line already for an upgrade like last year, I would have to add ANOTHER flip phone line to use for its upgrade. He also said that now the terms have changed and that I would forfeit my unlimited on my own smartphone line if I transferred the upgrade to the flip phone line
    If true, very bad news for my case.

Your first problem is you talked to a Verizon rep. I'm not trying to be an a$$ but almost everybody that talks to a rep always gets told wrong since thus thread has started.

So you have a upgrade now in your dumbphone?

Global Posts
    44 Global Posts
    ROM
    dasBAMF Sense 3.0 RC3

I've had the darndest time trying to find the commentary in this thread concerning three things (yes, I've searched and read for nearly an hour):

What is the process for going from an older and larger SIM card (in my case an HTC Thuderbolt) to a new phone with a smaller SIM slot? (in my case I'm planning on a Note 3). I don't want to cut the card down to size. Search indicates user cg101 addressed this somewhere in the thread with a reprogramming of the new phone's card, but I can't find it.

Can't this process be all done online without having to engage Verizon Customer support chat? This and other guides suggest that but recent posts show examples of users doing it by chat. Did something change?

Lastly, would be curious if what post #1797 says is true (one upgrade per dumbphone per year including transfers) as I, too would like to upgrade two lines with this method.
Page 72 of 111 FirstFirst ... 69707172737475 ... LastLast