[Instruction] How to get a new phone and keep (legacy) Unlimited Data on Verizon

firepsych

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
Re: [Instruction]How to Keep Unlimited Data on Verizon

Thanks for confirming this as it is what I suspected which is different from the very first poster. If the originating upgrade is coming from the dumb phone or tiered data line you don't have to activate it on that line first then put the dumb/tiered data phone back on there before moving it to the unlimited line. You can just activate it on the unlimited line directly skipping several steps and avoiding the issue with SIM still attached to dumb/tiered data phone line. It is only when the originating upgrade is on the unlimited line and you transfer an upgrade to the dumb/tiered data phone do you need to activate it first on that line before taking it back off and moving to the unlimited line.

That sounds much easier than what I thought.
Current scenario:
Family Share
Line 1: unlimited and due for upgrade. This is the one I want to upgrade.
Line 2: 2gig 3g phone and due for upgrade.
Lines 3-5 :all dumbphones.

Step 1: transfer Line 1 upgrade to Line 3 to get it off Line 1
Step 2: order new 4g phone for Line 2
Step 3: Online, switch phone on Line 1 to "new device" and activate on line 1? Never activate new phone on Line 2?

Also, do I need to call VZW CS to get new 4g sim for new phone since sim in old Line 1 phone is older larger 4g sim and the Line 2 phone is 3g ?

Sent from my BN NookHD+ using Tapatalk 4

dss2000

Jan 21, 2012
Visit site

That sounds much easier than what I thought.
Current scenario:
Family Share
Line 1: unlimited and due for upgrade. This is the one I want to upgrade.
Line 2: 2gig 3g phone and due for upgrade.
Lines 3-5 :all dumbphones.

Step 1: transfer Line 1 upgrade to Line 3 to get it off Line 1
Step 2: order new 4g phone for Line 2
Step 3: Online, switch phone on Line 1 to "new device" and activate on line 1? Never activate new phone on Line 2?

Also, do I need to call VZW CS to get new 4g sim for new phone since sim in old Line 1 phone is older larger 4g sim and the Line 2 phone is 3g ?

Sent from my BN NookHD+ using Tapatalk 4

You don't need to do Step 1.
Just use upgrade for Line 2 to order a new phone. When you get it activate it on Line 1. Your contract for line 2 will extend for 2 years, you will still have an upgrade available on Line 1. You will have a new phone with unlimited data on Line 1. Or if you have any upgrades available on lines 3-5 use those and just activate it on line 1.

dss2000

Jan 21, 2012
Visit site

Hey guys. I got some great advice on this thread about ugrading both my wife's and my unlimited plans. I was going to knock her down to a 2 GB tiered since she doesn't use much data and then switch my upgrade to her line and have her activate it and deactivate it and then use it on my line keeping my unlimited in place. I called sales at Verizon online and they guy told me that I could just have my wife order the upgrade online and choose the 2GB tiered plan but when the phone arrives make sure that she doesn't activate it and I can take the phone and first activate it on my existing line and since she didn't activate it her plan won't change. Then when she wants to upgrade her line. I use my upgrade to order her ohone online and do the same thing. Choose the new 2GB tiered plan and when the phone arrives I make sure not to activate it on my line and just have her activate it on her line, thus my unlimited won't change since I never activated the phone on my line. Both lines contracts will extend for another two years but our unlimited data won't change since we never activated the new phones we ordered on the line we order the upgrade on. I asked him repeatedly if this would keep our unlimited plans in place and he assured me it would. I just want to check on this forum if this sounds correct and if anyone has ever tried this. It would be great if this worked since we would both get to keep our unlimited data.

Oh, after re-reading your post that is something new. Didn't know you could save both unlimited plans doing that. I was thinking you could use and order an upgrade from a dumb phone line and simply activate it on a smartphone line. But to use an unlimited smartphone line to order a phone but activate it on another unlimited smartphone line is new territory. Would be great if that works, let us know.

diesteldorf

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site

Hey guys. I got some great advice on this thread about ugrading both my wife's and my unlimited plans. I was going to knock her down to a 2 GB tiered since she doesn't use much data and then switch my upgrade to her line and have her activate it and deactivate it and then use it on my line keeping my unlimited in place. I called sales at Verizon online and they guy told me that I could just have my wife order the upgrade online and choose the 2GB tiered plan but when the phone arrives make sure that she doesn't activate it and I can take the phone and first activate it on my existing line and since she didn't activate it her plan won't change. Then when she wants to upgrade her line. I use my upgrade to order her ohone online and do the same thing. Choose the new 2GB tiered plan and when the phone arrives I make sure not to activate it on my line and just have her activate it on her line, thus my unlimited won't change since I never activated the phone on my line. Both lines contracts will extend for another two years but our unlimited data won't change since we never activated the new phones we ordered on the line we order the upgrade on. I asked him repeatedly if this would keep our unlimited plans in place and he assured me it would. I just want to check on this forum if this sounds correct and if anyone has ever tried this. It would be great if this worked since we would both get to keep our unlimited data.

You may want to recheck since both of your lines are unlimited. My understanding is that whenever a subsidized device is activated for the first time, it will automatically put that line on a tiered plan, if it previously had unlimited data. That's why it's always best to activate a subsidized phone on a tiered or basic line first. Just be sure to watch your account.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

firepsych

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site

You may want to recheck since both of your lines are unlimited. My understanding is that whenever a subsidized device is activated for the first time, it will automatically put that line on a tiered plan, if it previously had unlimited data. That's why it's always best to activate a subsidized phone on a tiered or basic line first. Just be sure to watch your account.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

I thought they might do something like that....

MisterMcGibblets

Sep 20, 2013
Visit site

Ok I'm a little confused with all this. Read through the past few pages but not sure if this will work out:

Our family has 4 phones: 2 UNLIMITED IPHONES, 1 2 GB/MONTH IPHONE, & one basic phone. The basic phone has an upgrade date of May 2014, the 3 iphones have can all be upgraded today for the subsidized price of $199 each.

We want to maintain the unlimited data on the 2 iphones, but upgrade all 3 iphones to the 5S, & keep the basic phone with no data.

I just spoke to a Verizon Wireless CSR, & they told me if I transfer the "upgrade" from the unlimited phone to the basic phone, & activate it on the basic phone, & then activate back on the unlimited phone that I will lose it. Are they wrong or am I misreading what you guys are talking about?

What should I do to maintain the unlimited data on the 2 unlimited phones?

Last edited:

dss2000

Jan 21, 2012
Visit site

Ok I'm a little confused with all this. Read through the past few pages but not sure if this will work out:

Our family has 4 phones: 2 UNLIMITED IPHONES, 1 2 GB/MONTH IPHONE, & one basic phone. The basic phone has an upgrade date of May 2014, the 3 iphones have can all be upgraded today for the subsidized price of $199 each.

We want to maintain the unlimited data on the 2 iphones, but upgrade all 3 iphones to the 5S when it comes out in a few hours.

I just spoke to a Verizon Wireless CSR, & they told me if I transfer the "upgrade" from the unlimited phone to the basic phone, & activate it on the basic phone, & then activate back on the unlimited phone that I will lose it. Are they wrong or am I misreading what you guys are talking about?

What should I do to maintain the unlimited data on the 2 unlimited phones?

Yes the Verizon CSR is lying. What you describe is the most proven, reliable method verified many times on this thread. You will be able to do that and keep your unlimited. I suggest doing it online so to minimize talking to them or they will scare/confuse you. I've searched the web to try to find out what the commission structure is to motivate Verizon CSR's to lie to you but haven't found specifics other than it is a very complex confidential formula so you can imagine.

MisterMcGibblets

Sep 20, 2013
Visit site

I appreciate the advice. So the 2 GB iphone we have cna be upgraded no problem since it's obviously 2 GB/month.

But with the 2 unlimited iphones & the basic phone. Can I transfer the "upgrade" to the "basic phone" twice? Or only once?

Also, is this "loophole" legit/allowed under the contract? I would hate it if they "found out" & retroactively took away the unlimited data. It would force me, then, to go to straight talk which is alright but lacks the coverage Verizon has.

Why does this work anyways & why hasn't Verizon nipped this in the bud?

dss2000

Jan 21, 2012
Visit site

I appreciate the advice. So the 2 GB iphone we have cna be upgraded no problem since it's obviously 2 GB/month.

But with the 2 unlimited iphones & the basic phone. Can I transfer the "upgrade" to the "basic phone" twice? Or only once?

Also, is this "loophole" legit/allowed under the contract? I would hate it if they "found out" & retroactively took away the unlimited data. It would force me, then, to go to straight talk which is alright but lacks the coverage Verizon has.

Why does this work anyways & why hasn't Verizon nipped this in the bud?

You can use all three upgrades. For example, use your 2 GB line and order and upgrade and activate it on line 1. Then transfer upgrade from line 1 to 2 GB line and order another smartphone. That one you have to activate on the 2 GB line first, then put your original phone back on the 2 GB line to free up the second new phone and then activate that one on line 2. Transfer upgrade from line 2 to 2 GB line and upgrade again. Activate this iphone on the 2 GB line and leave it there. 3 upgrades used, 3 lines with new phones.

crocut

Dec 21, 2009
Visit site

Similar question (to all of them, it seems). Two lines, both under the same Nationwide Shared (not Share Everything): one unlimited, one 2Gb. Both had upgrades. I upgraded 2Gb to Iphone 4S already, but it has not arrived yet. Now I want to upgrade my unlimited to G2. Do I need to wait until I activate the 4S on the 2Gb line before I transfer the upgrade from the unlimited to it? Or can I transfer the unlimited upgrade to the 2Gb line now, order the G2 , wait till it arrives, then activate G2 on the 2Gb line, then immediately activate the 4S on it (deactivating the G2). Then it would just be a matter of throwing my unlimited SIM into the G2. I know the conservative way would be to activate the 4S first, but thought I'd push the system.
I know I'm getting into the semantics of the deal, but someone may have already done this, and it may be useful to others.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site

Similar question (to all of them, it seems). Two lines, both under the same Nationwide Shared (not Share Everything): one unlimited, one 2Gb. Both had upgrades. I upgraded 2Gb to Iphone 4S already, but it has not arrived yet. Now I want to upgrade my unlimited to G2. Do I need to wait until I activate the 4S on the 2Gb line before I transfer the upgrade from the unlimited to it? Or can I transfer the unlimited upgrade to the 2Gb line now, order the G2 , wait till it arrives, then activate G2 on the 2Gb line, then immediately activate the 4S on it (deactivating the G2). Then it would just be a matter of throwing my unlimited SIM into the G2. I know the conservative way would be to activate the 4S first, but thought I'd push the system.
I know I'm getting into the semantics of the deal, but someone may have already done this, and it may be useful to others.

I would be hesitant to make any changes while waiting for it to arrive. The order that you're doing it in makes it sound possible it wouldn't hurt anything, but it seems like there is too high of a possibility of things getting sticky.

aneftp

Feb 16, 2012
Visit site

Anyone order the iphone 5S using the transfer upgrade option? The guys over at Howard forums and macrumors are asking if Verizon closed the loophole. Cause they got email confirmation that the unlimited data line was upgraded.
Verizon 5s with transferred upgrade - MacRumors Forums

Is the "transfer upgrade" feature still available? - Page 2

"On the web confirmation page, it has the 2GB data line's phone # on it. However, my confirmation email has the unlimited data line's phone # on it. In the regular site, there is no mention of an order pending, but going back to Iconic lists both lines with a pending order now. Clicking through as if I try to do another order on the unlimited line at full price shows "UNLIMITED Email & Web Smartphones (personal email) - Existing Feature $29.99". Any cause for concern?"

I ordered using the transfer upgrade but it's my brother's account so confirmation email got sent to his email and he's out on the west coast so probably not awake yet to forward me what the email said.

patal05

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site

Anyone order the iphone 5S using the transfer upgrade option? The guys over at Howard forums and macrumors are asking if Verizon closed the loophole. Cause they got email confirmation that the unlimited data line was upgraded.

"On the web confirmation page, it has the 2GB data line's phone # on it. However, my confirmation email has the unlimited data line's phone # on it. In the regular site, there is no mention of an order pending, but going back to Iconic lists both lines with a pending order now. Clicking through as if I try to do another order on the unlimited line at full price shows "UNLIMITED Email & Web Smartphones (personal email) - Existing Feature $29.99". Any cause for concern?"

I ordered using the transfer upgrade but it's my brother's account so confirmation email got sent to his email and he's out on the west coast so probably not awake yet to forward me what the email said.

This is what it's always going to say when you transfer an upgrade. It just needs to be activated on the line transferred to first. It should be set up to do that automatically I believe, but that may depend on the phone.

jmd471

Sep 5, 2013
Visit site

About to start though this process. I don't follow the deal with the SIM cards as both of my unlimited lines currently have iPhone 4.
Line 1 Iphone 4, due for upgrade
Line 2 Iphone 4, due for upgrade
Line 3 dumbphone, due for upgrade

Was going to start by upgrading line 3 to iphone5s, activate on 3, then reactivate dumbphone. At this point what do I need to do with the iphone 5s to allow it to be activated on line 1? I read conflicting things about the sim card. i.e. have it reset, go to verizon store and get a new one, wait 24 hours?

I guess I'll find out about the transfer loophole on the next phone I upgrade.

diesteldorf

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site

I ordered 2 and should find out next week if I run into issues and need to return the phones to keep unlimited.
I wanted to take advantage of the loophole while available and plan to use the extra cash toward purchasing a phone full retail when I see what I want.

aneftp

Feb 16, 2012
Visit site

This is what it's always going to say when you transfer an upgrade. It just needs to be activated on the line transferred to first. It should be set up to do that automatically I believe, but that may depend on the phone.

So just to be clear:
Line 1 unlimited data (eligible for upgrade)
Line 2 (2gb tiered data) not eligible for upgrade

I transfered upgrade from line 1 to line 2. The Verizon webpage showed a confirmation that Line 2 is getting iphone 5s and it "ships by October 14th for iphone 5s gold 16GB) alog with the confirmation number and 2GB data for $30 (which was already on that tiered data line).

Than I got a confirmation EMAIL (not webpage confirmation that shows up when you purchase it). The email says "You Order" It does show gold iphone 5S for $199 price but it has my Line 1 (the one with the unlimited data) and it shows line 1 as Your Price $100, upgrade fee $30 and now it shows 2gb data $30"

So this is normal with an email confirmation?

I just wait till the iphone 5s arrives and activate the iphone 5s on Line 2 (the line with the tiered data?)
On the Verizon webpage

MDsmartphone

Feb 29, 2012
Visit site

Thanks for confirming this as it is what I suspected which is different from the very first poster. If the originating upgrade is coming from the dumb phone or tiered data line you don't have to activate it on that line first then put the dumb/tiered data phone back on there before moving it to the unlimited line. You can just activate it on the unlimited line directly skipping several steps and avoiding the issue with SIM still attached to dumb/tiered data phone line. It is only when the originating upgrade is on the unlimited line and you transfer an upgrade to the dumb/tiered data phone do you need to activate it first on that line before taking it back off and moving to the unlimited line.

Are u guys sure???????
This seems to contradict everything else on this thread.
Once you use an upgrade to purchase with subsidized pricing you are signing a new contract no? You then are changing your plan.
Confused

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 4

chuckawd

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site

Are u guys sure???????
This seems to contradict everything else on this thread.
Once you use an upgrade to purchase with subsidized pricing you are signing a new contract no? You then are changing your plan.
Confused

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 4

As the OP here who used the basic line to upgrade to the Note 2 from a basic phone I had to:

(1)Activate the Note 2 on the basic line which deactivated the basic phone then
(2)Deactivate the Note 2 and toss the SIM then
(3)insert another new SIM in the Note 2
(4)activate the Note 2 on my unlimited line which reactivated the basic phone on its original line and activated the new Note 2 on my original unlimited line keeling unlimited data which I still currently have.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cottoneyejoe