Large Brother - Verizon

DennisOS2

Oct 26, 2012
Visit site
Verizon (and I believe Direct TV, but not certain) has filed for patents related to technology for their DVRs. This technology would allow DVRs to 'sense' how many individuals and/or pets are in the room, determine the sounds / speech in the room, movement in the room. Verizon claims it is to more accurately 'push' content (aka targeted advertisements). Not a big leap to see how this could be utilized in a time of "crisis" or elsewhere. Couple of questions:

1. Would you like to have such a DVR in your house?
  2. Does this break privacy laws? (the comeback is 'We (Verizon) don't know WHO is in the room ........ really?)
  3. Given that law enforcement no longer need warrants to break in under some circumstances and they have asked carriers to save up to two years of emails or text messages on all of us ...... do you think this new technology could be used for other purposes than 'marketing'?
  4. Is this the camel's nose under the tent for a major reduction in privacy/freedom?
  5. Finally ....... or really are we all too busy upgrading our phones (bread and circus)?

anon(94115)

Banned
Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
No
who knows anymore, Bush and the Patriot act really f'd us (and I am not trying to make this political, it was just the most blatant destruction of privacy in our time)
yes without a doubt
yes it is
no

Take the TV show "Person of Interest". Yes it is supposed to just be a show, but Carnivore is a reality. I am sure that there are other "security" agencies that have other programs as well. We are anot all that far off from having the TV show be a reality

DennisOS2

Oct 26, 2012
Visit site
No
who knows anymore, Bush and the Patriot act really f'd us (and I am not trying to make this political, it was just the most blatant destruction of privacy in our time)
yes without a doubt
yes it is
no

Take the TV show "Person of Interest". Yes it is supposed to just be a show, but Carnivore is a reality. I am sure that there are other "security" agencies that have other programs as well. We are anot all that far off from having the TV show be a reality

Agreed about Patriot Act. But this started loonnnng before that. You can't believe either party in this regard. So, are we doing all we can to put people in that believe in shrinking government? Not just holding the line?

Back to Verizon........ anyone concerned about this should be contacting Verizon voicing anger and plans to pull their contracts. Also, you should be spreading the word about this now. I suspect Verizon will begin marketing the concept of wonderful new services very soon.

Markster1

Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
Concerning "Person of Interest", I hope you don't think anybody can force pair/connect with cell phones because they can't.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

DennisOS2

Oct 26, 2012
Visit site
Concerning "Person of Interest", I hope you don't think anybody can force pair/connect with cell phones because they can't.

We all know you're just saying that just because you're with the NSA :) But POI is fantastic. Wouldn't want Finch on my bad side. LOL

anon(94115)

Banned
Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
Oh I know it started long ago, but that was the most blatant one. They rode a tide of patriotism to get whatever they wanted. Every president has done it from all parties.

Really you do not think it is possible to force pair a phone or in its most basic term, hack one?

http://www.newscientist.com/mobile/article/dn7461-new-hack-cracks-secure-bluetooth-devices.html

That article is from 2005 and while security has gotten better, so have hackers and tech

Sent from my X-Band Modem... TY Genesis

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Concerning "Person of Interest", I hope you don't think anybody can force pair/connect with cell phones because they can't. <br />
<br />

http://m.cnet.com/news/aclu-wants-t...ops-use-data-extraction-devices/20055431?ds=1

And if that isn't enough, go read the info on the latest tools from the company making that extraction tool. When the news broke about the ACLU going after the MSP, there were a ton of reports of officers wanting to hack into the phones, with some saying they could even do it via Bluetooth without your knowledge during a routine traffic stop with no probable cause.

To the original point of this thread, I wouldn't want that kind of technology if I can keep from it. I already see the effects of custom marketing just on ads placed on sites I've never been to before. It's kinda spooky in a way how they do it and I wish I could opt out of that kind of tracking. I'm not really paranoid, just doesn't feel doughy that it can be done so easily "behind the scenes".

DennisOS2

Oct 26, 2012
Visit site
I forgot about the phone hacking by LE. Yup, that is/was really scary. Something that is surely continuing in some ways.

Must stay informed and involved.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Android Central Forums

Markster1

Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
If you don't have access to my phone and bluetooth is off, how is a command line going to work?

DennisOS2

Oct 26, 2012
Visit site
Actually, I think we're all on the same page on this one. It can be done and under many circumstances. Makes me want to write that check to EFF :)

Sent from my cm_tenderloin using Android Central Forums

Markster1

Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
I'll concede it can be done but not as easy as the show portrays especially if you're aware of the danger.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smokedog87