Wireless tethering and Verizon, can someone clarify?

edistopre

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
I have a Razr Maxx HD that is now on the JB operating system, and I am trying to find a 3rd party app that provides a mobile hotspot. I am on the regular 2GB Verizon data plan (not a shared plan because I have only one phone). When I tried several tethering apps I received a message that my "subscription status" is being checked and then I receive the message that if I want to use the app I must pay $20 per month to subscribe to the hotspot service. I have seen conflicting information regarding Verizon's settlement with the FCC over this issue; however, the following quotation is from an August Cnet article: "You can avoid the tethering fee by downloading a third party app from an application store. If you tether using Verizon's service, you will still be charged the $20 a month to access Mobile Broadband Connect. So you need to be proactive and find an app that you can use."

What is correct here? My plan is not unlimited; it is not grandfathered, and it allows 2GB per month. Yet the message I am receiving when I try to use the 3rd-party apps clearly contradicts what the Cnet article says the settlement requires. Can someone help me clear this up, or has anyone tackled this matter directly with Verizon? Or, does someone know of an app that actually works in this instance?

Thanks.

Raymond Tan

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
You need to get Foxfi on your phone and pdanet for the device that you want to tether(laptop, tablet). Some were reporting problems with JB but I think thats cleared up now.

edistopre

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
You need to get Foxfi on your phone and pdanet for the device that you want to tether(laptop, tablet). Some were reporting problems with JB but I think thats cleared up now.

I tried Foxfi after JB, but it says my device (Razr Maxx HD) is not supported; it did work great with Foxfi before I did the JB update. Does PDANET offer a wireless hotspot, or is it USB tethering only? It appeared to me to be USB only, but I may be misunderstanding its function. Thanks.

fofjjsr

Android4life
Aug 18, 2011
Visit site
You could go to the share everything 2gb plan even with one phone. It would run you about $100 a month plus taxes, and give you unlimited minutes and texting with it. You don't have to have multiple phones to get on Share Everything. Plus it includes the hot spot for free.

anon(924308)

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
So it's impossible to wirelessly tether if Foxfi doesn't work on your phone? I just bought the Droid DNA which runs on 4.1, and I've read that Foxfi doesn't work on it. Half the reason I wanted a smartphone was to tether my tablet.

edistopre

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
Every wireless tether program I've tried does the same thing: "Checking subscription status", and then asking me to pay the $20 fee. I had a long call with a Verizon cust svc rep who actually tried to help me find some apps that work, but couldn't. His understanding was that they should not be asking for the fee. The way I read the FCC consent order, if you're on a metered plan and are using a 3rd party app, Verizon cannot ask you to pay the fee. Looks like something happened in Jellybean to cause the subscription status check.to occur. I'm going to give it a little bit of time to see if things change and then fill an FCC complaint if the problem is not cured.

Any other experiences with this after Jellybean?

taylorz_412

Aug 28, 2011
Visit site
I've tethered 50-100 gigs on some months before I had wifi at home with foxfi for free and had no problems with vzw

GSIII Tapatalk 2

minnieusa

Aug 18, 2012
Visit site
i ran foxfi with s3 on 2g . no they don't charge you the $20 for hotspot, but what they have the ability to do is accelerate the data usage that you will be over your 2g in one wk with only 30 minutes of using foxfi. within 30 minutes of useage i got a prompt from them telling me how much data i now had used. they know exactly what we are doing with our phones at all times. for financial reasons i have to stay at 2g so i was forced to delete foxfi.

Sent from my AT100 using Android Central Forums

Djnikkofb

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
I have a DNA also, and I use open garden in play store to tether via Bluetooth. Not rooted, but there are limitations if tethered to a tablet.

Posted via Droid DNA/Transformer Infinity

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress