Oh Verizon.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Verizon settles a class action lawsuit.

One month later, Verizon will increase line access by $4/line.

And then to add insult to injury, they make it sound like they are adding extra value by adding an extra 5 GB hotspot to the account.

I don't use the hotspot.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, the only reason I weren't with them is because I'm a trucker, and back then they were the only reliable carrier for nationwide coverage. The service hasn't been that bad and I normally wouldn't be upset about occasional price hikes due to inflation.

It's the timing of this, plus the fantastical offer of an extra thing that in reality only exists on paper and not actually costing Verizon any extra to provide this "nothing" that has me thinking it's time to consider other options.

But hey, if anyone is looking to move to Verizon, they are giving away free 65" t.v.'s for new accounts right now. :eyeroll:

winmod21

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, the only reason I weren't with them is because I'm a trucker, and back then they were the only reliable carrier for nationwide coverage. The service hasn't been that bad and I normally wouldn't be upset about occasional price hikes due to inflation.

It's the timing of this, plus the fantastical offer of an extra thing that in reality only exists on paper and not actually costing Verizon any extra to provide this "nothing" that has me thinking it's time to consider other options.

But hey, if anyone is looking to move to Verizon, they are giving away free 65" t.v.'s for new accounts right now. :eyeroll:
Xfinity Mobile might be worth checking out; they use the Verizon network.

When we moved from AT&T to Xfinity Mobile, last Sept, Xfi had some fairly decent incentives — e.g. $10~$15/mo. for 400~800 Mbps internet (the $10~$15 depending on auto-pay method),(btw, AT&T was charging us $62/mo for their '25 Mbps' so -called 'high speed Internet' 🙄) + $300 off new Samsung phones– when transferring ph # from another carrier + $100 Visa gift card– for every ph # transferred from another carrier + 3 phones for $95/mo plan (however, they've only been charging us $60/mo for 3 lines, so that's been Skookum! :cool:) + $600 trade-in (towards S23U) for my wife's Note 8.

Xfinity Mobile's service has been great; not a single issue; actually better than AT&T, throughout Western Michigan. Not sure 'bout nationally though.

Last edited:

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
Unfortunately the other carriers are raising their rates also. Seems like they all decided to raise their rates around the same time. Makes me think they talked to each other and set this up so you don't have much options to switch carries. Of all the industries around the world, cell carriers are the least effected by inflation. This is a money grab by the carriers IMO

If they are raising the rates on their actual customers I assume they will be raising the rates to the prepaid subscribers carriers such as straight talk which will increase prepaid rates in the end.

J Dubbs

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site
Verizon settles a class action lawsuit.

One month later, Verizon will increase line access by $4/line.

And then to add insult to injury, they make it sound like they are adding extra value by adding an extra 5 GB hotspot to the account.

I don't use the hotspot.
And we don't use Verizon 😉 😜 I know not everyone has a choice, depending on their location, but Verizon likes charging those Cadillac prices without the Cadillac service. And homey don't play those games lol.

Reactions: Laura Knotek

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
And we don't use Verizon I know not everyone has a choice, depending on their location, but Verizon likes charging those Cadillac prices without the Cadillac service. And homey don't play those games lol.
When it comes to monthly charges Verizon isn't more expensive then others. I just went thru this with a buddy, he went to At&T because he said they were cheaper by $25 a month. I found that hard to believe so I researched it. It took me awhile to find the plan he was referencing but I found it. It's also a plan that he can be throttled immediately, no set amount of high speed before throttling can happen. He does not have hotspot, and other small things. I understand if you don't need hotspot and are not concerned about throttling it's cheaper. The thing is, he's not comparing apples to apples.

I drive for a living so I need Cadillac service. I've tried others and I get dropped calls as I'm switching to roaming towers vice versa. I don't get that with Verizon. I've driven Iowa to Florida with no dropped calls, no dropped data. One I tried dropped calls going into Minnesota from Iowa as going to roaming tower.

I don't like praising Verizon, but when it comes to service across the United States you can't beat them. AT&T is the next choice for nationwide. T-Mobile is third choice if you plan on staying on the interstate system. Almost all truck drivers I talk to use Verizon or At&T.

I understand most don't need nationwide, I'm just saying if you do there are differences in providers if you're just going to be running around locally then you have options. My buddy even said if he gooes back over the road he will switch back to Verizon. Like I said, I hate praising Verizon, but they earned this praise. By the way the carrier I tried above is same price as Verizon and they have roaming rules and dropped calls when going on to a roaming tower.